The New Normal

By nekolumina

Rey, determined, accepted Kylo's hand and after five months abroad The Supremacy, has become restless. Everyd... More

Routine
Welcome
The Hall
Dinner
Bedtime
Junk
Enough
Summit
Horrid
Knights
Excuse Me
Good
Crate
Wondering
First
Portrait
Shower
Noodles
Pulse
Everything
Diapers
Jedi
Epilogue
Announcement

Small Talk

247 2 2
By nekolumina

Rey felt like a child trying to sneak out after curfew. She might as well be one as it seemed most of those abroad the ship were asleep. The maintenance crew and droids were the ones out and about at that unforsaken hour. She knew she had to be on bedrest but the news she had for her dyad could not wait. Rey had tried to locate him through their bond and when that failed, she had asked the Commander Nala to locate him.

With no luck, she had no other option but to find him herself. She left her quarters, still in her pajamas, (Ben's tunic and some long pants), hair down, and slippers. Despite the doctor given her the okay to walk a little more, of course not much only in case of emergencies, Ben insisted on carrying her everywhere and if it wasn't Ben, Chewie was up to the task. Ben's overprotectiveness showed no signs of stopping, in fact, it had increased. Ben had asked Rey to wear a digital patch on her belly which monitored the twin's heartbeats with a small data pad, a data pad Ben kept in his pocket.

Rey loved how much her fiancé cared for her and the family they were about to start but at times, she wished he would ease up a little. Knowing Chewie would reprimand her for leaving her room without someone, Rey snuck passed his given quarters which were the same when he had first come for a visit.

Ben had left that afternoon to a nearby Order base on the planet Geus and promised to come back before bedtime. Rey was informed of his return hours ago and yet he had not gone up to see her or perhaps he had come by only to find a very tired Rey asleep. Nevertheless, Rey had woken up with excitement and was dying to see her love.

"Ben?" Rey called to him once again. She could not feel him and so, determined, she made her way to the bridge. She had to sneak pass most stormtroopers and officers as Ben had given the orders Rey was not to be out of their room without him, Chewie, or a knight of Ren.

Rey was almost to the bridge when she heard a patrol unit come down the corridor and slipped into the first room she found. She stayed silent until she felt safe enough to relax a bit. She didn't want to hear a lecture, dampening her good humor.

"Ma'am?" a voice was heard from behind her, startling the poor pregnant Jedi. As Rey turned around, she found herself staring at General Hux who was presently sitting on the edge of his bed. He was in casual wear with a dark blue, short sleeved tunic and some black plants, black slippers, and data pad in hand. She had stumbled into Hux's quarters.

"Hux...General Hux...um...hi..." Rey had never spoken to Hux casually before, not without Kylo present. She knew little of the man, only that he was a demanding character and carried a vengeance against her fiancé for being the supreme leader. Rey felt some sympathy for Hux at times, she knew how Kylo was with him and surely, not even Hux, deserved to be the target of Kylo's tantrums. "I...um...am looking for Ben, I mean Kylo."

Hux looked around his room and back at Rey. "I can assure you he is not here." He looked Rey up and down until his eyes locked on to her pregnancy. He had never been this close to her and quite frankly had not notice how big she had gotten. "Upon his returned, the supreme leader went to his private deck and asked to be left alone, not before throwing most officers against the wall, I was spared, thank the stars, and destroying a navcomputer with his lightsaber."

"Oh," Kriff, he had turned off their bond knowing Rey would feel whatever he was concealing. "I'm sorry for his behavior, General Hux, I truly am."

"Hmph, why should you be the one to apologize," Hux stood from his chair, "you weren't the one going crazy. Sit."

"Excuse me?"

Hux pulled out a chair from his small table along the left of the room. "Sit." Rey did as she was told without a fuss. As she took her seat, Hux placed a cup of what seemed like java juice in front of her. He pulled out the chair opposite of her and sat down himself. "From what I understand you are not allowed to be walking out and about and yet here you are."

"Like I said, I am looking for Kylo." Rey led out a small smile, forgetting who she was with.

"Must be good. It's nearly 3 am and you're here looking for him despite knowing you'll get punished." Hux shook his head. "I mean, hmm, not to pry but does he punish you?"

Rey giggled at the thought, "More like a lecture, really. If anything, I punish him when he is in the wrong."

"Hard to imagine, I have only known one side of him and it's not pleasant. Imagine my surprise when you first came here. I thought he was making a prisoner of the scavenger girl but here you are, almost two years later, carrying his child."

"Children." Rey corrected.

"Children? Twins run in the family, no doubt it was not a big surprise."

Rey sipped her drink, "A little." She looked around the room and noticed his desk area full of papers. Hux had a display of small, modeled ships on one corner and his uniform laid out for the next day near his dresser. The walls were grey, navcomupter on one side and to her surprise, a plant by the wall. His quarters seemed tidy, and hard to believe, but tidier than hers and Ben's.

"I want to thank you again for defending me against the supreme leader the other day."

"You hate him, don't you?" Rey said nonchalantly, taking Hux by surprise. "I won't say anything. I hate Kylo too. It's Ben who I fell for."

"How? He is the same person at the end of the day."

Rey smiled and thought of the wonderful moments she had had with her future husband. "He is not. Trust me. You only see his dark side but his light...his light is someone you would want to have as a friend and in my case, as a husband and father."

Hux could not fathom the idea of Kylo Ren having a good side. He did hate him, that much he was aware and did not try to hide it. He hated him for taking on a regime which he had full command of until Kylo came into power. Why should Kylo be ruler when he was the better choice? Hux felt as if Kylo was ruining everything they stood for and did not know how to properly command such a massive army. It was only until Rey sprayed her influence on Kylo that Hux noticed the decisions being made were making sense.

Although he did hate taking orders from Kylo Ren, Hux had to admit, "You...you would make a good empress."

Rey almost choked on java juice. "Oh, no, no, no. No, thank you. Kylo has this idea of me ruling alongside him, but I am not sure I would want to take on that responsibility. I am nothing more than a scavenger from Jakku. I only advise him sometimes and even then, I do not approve of the things he does. I speak up when it benefits the people but no more than that."

Hux kept his eyes fixed on Rey's pregnancy. This was the first time he had a proper conversation with the girl. To him, she was nothing more than another passenger on board. Yet, she was not. Hux had grown curious over the last few months on Kylo's and Rey's relationship. He was not being nosey, he only wanted to know how it came to be.

"He could not do it." Hux noticed Rey's questioning eyes. "We went to Geus to see preparations for the new recruits."

"You mean your child slaves." Rey said with a huff.

"We were supposed to dispose of those who lack the skills and who did not condition well, like we always do. Only this time," Hux looked beyond Rey recalling his memory, "he...he never gave the order. We entered the facility, toured the grounds, and selected those we will be needing. When they asked him if they should get more children, he lost it. He chocked the admiral in charge of the facility and destroyed many things in his path."

Before Rey could respond, Hux's comm on the wall went off. He rose from his chair and pressed the button to silence the loud device. "Sir, the supreme leader requests your presence on the bridge. It seems Lady Rey has gone missing."

Hux turned to Rey, "Tell the supreme leader I think I saw her heading to the bridge."

"Very well, sir." The nervous voice from the comm replied.

Rey could finally sense Ben nearby and began to walk to the door. "I better go then before I get you in trouble." As strange as this encounter was, Rey was grateful for it. She never pressed Ben about his business, only attended some meetings, and knowing he was changing was exciting news for her. She always believed there was still light in Ben Solo and him not being able to continue with how they went about recruiting, was something to celebrate.

"He is changing. Ren is changing. I have noticed for months, even before you announced your pregnancy. Something is happening to him and as much as I hate to admit it, I rather like the change. He threatens me less and even lets me take charge of some operations. We are not friends, I still hate him however, this is...something else."

Rey smiled at him. "You're not so bad, general, despite what my fiancé says about you."

As she left the room, she was careful not to be seen leaving Hux's quarters. Knowing Kylo, he would somehow find Hux at fault for her night adventure. Rey walked down the corridor until she found her love coming towards her. She knew Ben could feel the love radiating from her through their bond but was not sure how much he could feel. Rey loved Ben like no other, despite his troubles. He was slowly changing, and she was glad she was not the only one who had noticed.

"Rey! Where were you? Why are you walking around? That damn Wookie can't even do his job right. I have everyone looking for you. I wa-"

Rey interrupted Ben's lecture as she tiptoed to wrap her hands around his neck, pulling his lips down to meet hers, in a passionate kiss. After a second or two, Ben eased into the kiss and wrapped his arms around her waist, bringing her close into an embrace.

As Ben broke the kiss, he whispered, "You're still in trouble." He ran his hand in Rey's hair. "What's wrong?"

Rey still had her arms wrapped around his neck, "Nothing. I want to show you how much I love you."

Ben chuckled at his dyad. "I love you too, darling, but you're still in trouble. Why are you out of the room?"

Suddenly Rey remembered why she had started her night adventure. "Ah! Ben...Ben, love." Ben could feel pure excitement exuberating from Rey. "I had a dream." Ben smiled at her excitement, seeing her happy was all he ever asked for.

"I saw them." Rey noticed Ben's confusion. "I saw them, in my dream. A vision." Rey felt happy tears sting her eyes. "Our babies...I saw them...I felt them quite clearly...I know it was them in my dream. Trust me when I say I felt their light...they were so pure...Ben...Ben...they were beautiful." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

93.7K 2.8K 15
I love you, but I'm afraid to love you. KYLO REN STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS kenobis Β© 2018
30.8K 759 30
Moving in with a step brother and Stepdad was not on your bingo card for the summer, but life is full of surprises, and this is not a welcome one. Wh...
26.3K 889 15
COMPLETE!!! An Episode IX Reylo fan fiction. Five years after the events of The Last Jedi, Rey is a beacon of hope for those who are Force sensitive...
24.6K 759 29
Do not read if you don't want spoilers from The Rise of Skywalker! Ending after the defeat of Emperor Palpatine, Rey is hoping to start a new chapter...