My companion | میرےہمدم

By 7Hazel

#3 in Pakistan ( 4-1-2021) #1 in Pakistan (19-1-2021) What will happen when two opposite souls are betrothed... More

Authors note
Characters Sketch
Reflection|عکس
Dissociation | بچھڑنا
Sparkle | رونق
Priceless | انمول
Meeting | ملاقات
Restlessness | اضطراب
Stars | انجم
I do | قبول ہے
Indifference | تغافل
Strangers | اغیار
Coincidence | اتفاق
Gem | گوہر
Effort | کاوش
Full Moon | ماہ کامل
Longing | حسرت
Worry | تفکر
Determination | عزم
Blow | ضرب
Darkness | تیرگی
Begining | ابتداء
Sincerity | اخلاص
Responsibilty | ذمہ داري
Pain | درد
Mark | نقش
Trust | اعتماد
Colors | رنگ
Author's note
Family | خاندان
Moment | لمحہ
Care | خیال
Delighted | شاد
Selfless | بےلوث
Protector | پاسباں
Birthday | سالگراہ
Birthday-II | سالگراہ
Birthday-III | سالگراہ
Gradually | رفتہ رفتہ
Closeness | قربت
Related | وابستہ
Affect | اثر
Eid | عید
Embrace | آغوش
Face to face | مقابل
Dewy | شبنمی
Not an update
Unique | نایاب
Drop | قطرہ
Lost in wonder | محوحیرت
Sacred | مقدس
Separation | جدائی
Evening | سانجھ
Awaiting | منتظر
Unexpected | غیر متوقع
Twilight | شفق
Confront | روبرو
Misunderstanding |غَلَط فہمی
Helplessness | بے بسی
Unease | خلش
Complete | مکمل
Author's note
Epilogue-1
Epilogue-2

Knock | دستک

20.4K 1.1K 816
By 7Hazel

Unedited:

Muje qubool yeh bi nahi kay tujhe aina dekhe

Tujhe bus mein dekhun, ya mera khuda dekhe 

----------------------------------------------

"No boyfriend ever", Zohaib stated. Zahra chuckled with a thumb in her mouth. She was sitting on Zohaib's abdomen.

"It's off-limit Zahra. You are off-limits",

"Yeah no boyfriend....Nope...Nope, daddy's girl forever",

"You are only mineeee. My baby, nobody else's baby", Zohaib narrowed his eyes. Zahra kept giggling and blabbed in reply.

"Zohaib what are saying? she can not understand all this right now", Faryal shook her head and sat down on the bed beside him.

Zohaib turned his head towards her "You said she is going to leave us, do you have any idea I couldn't sleep last night. The mere thought of it scared me". He sat down. Zahra stood up on his lap.

"Okay? so you stay daddy's girl forever, understood Zahra?",

"Just daddy's baby", he added softly and pampered her face with kisses.

"No, we will teach her the difference between good and bad, but we won't stop her from making the decisions", Faryal said. "Just like mom didn't stop you ever".

"It's not happening", Zohaib said over protectively.

Zahra stepped down from her daddy's lap holding his shoulder. Zahra's eyes flickered between her Ammi and daddy, they were busy proving their parental concerns. She left her daddy's shoulder and took two-step forward, slightly swaying on her feet. She paused.

"I can't belie....", Faryal stopped as her eyes fell on Zahra. Zohaib glanced at Zahra too. Zahra smiled coyly. She looked at her feet and then back to her parents. She lost her balance and before she could touch the bed her parents moved forward and wrapped their hands around her.

"She walked", Zohaib smiled. His eyes showed a bunch of emotions.

"Mera bacha (My baby)", Faryal hugged her tightly, kissed her forehead, and placed her on her lap. Her eyes shone with adoration and unshed tears.

"Why are you crying", Zohaib worriedly wrapped his hand around Faryal. A tear scrolled down on her cheek.

"Nothing, these are happy tears", she wiped the tears and gave him a tight-lipped smile. "It's just...I've never imagined I would be able to live and experience Zahra's every first, thanks for allowing me", she said with an emotion-filled voice.

He opened his mouth to say something but instead kissed her forehead assuringly.

------------------------------------------

"What happened Mahum?" Meesha said worriedly and took her hand to give her support as they were coming downstairs.

"It's nothing", Mahum hissed "just a few cuts".

"Oh God Mahum, you have injured your both feet and saying it's nothing", Meesha sighed. "How did it happen?".

"I accidentally broke the vase and then placed my feet on the shreds", Mahum stated as they entered the dining area. Her eyes fell on Haya, she was coming from the other side. Mahum followed her gaze and realized Huzaifa was already seated on the chair and Haya was walking towards him. Mahum quickly left Meesha's hand and ran towards Huzaifa.

"Mahum your feet", Meesha called out.

"Nothing to worry about", Mahum said without looking at her and took quick steps.

Haya was smiling coyly, Huzaifa's eyes intentionally met with hers and he quickly shifted his eyes away from her. Haya pulled a chair for her besides Huzaifa but before she could sit, Mahum scooted down.

"Oops Haya were you going to sit here?", Mahum asked innocently. She glanced at Huzaifa and then back to her. Haya was starring back.

"I'm so sorry but it's booked dear," Mahum gave her a tight-lipped smile. "And I don't share what's mine".

"Mahum what is this behavior", Tayi Ammi concealed her anger in a soft tone in front of the guests, but her eyes were saying it all. Mahum ignored her mama's threatening glare.

"Haya beta you can sit with me", Mom dived in to rescue Mahum from her mother. Haya was standing there with a displeased look on her face. She gave a small smile to mom and took a seat beside her.

"Love you", Mahum mouthed to her Chachi Jan. Mom smiled.

Mahum's eyes lit up. She placed her elbow on the table, rested her chin on her palm, and turned her head towards Huzaifa. He turned his head towards her.

"Dekha mahum ka kamal (Did you see mahum's excellence)", she smiled. 

"Huh, beha...I mean haya". He rolled his eyes.

"Ya Allah who has cooked these aloo parathas for breakfast", she exclaimed. "I'm going to eat two parathas, for sure.", She served two parathas for herself.

He shook his head and turned back his head. Unknowingly, his lips twitched up into a smile.

Little did they know, all that time a pair of eyes were fixed on them.

"In dono k beech kya chul raha hai? (What's going on between these two?)", Meesha elbowed Faryal.

"Huh?", Faryal was chewing on food, she looked at Meesha in bewilderment. Meesha signaled her towards Mahum and Huzaifa.

Faryal stared at them for a moment, wriggled her eyebrows, and said, "what about them?".

"Uff Faryal", Meesha groaned. "Can't you feel the spark between them?".

Faryal thought for a minute and then asked, "Don't tell me Meesha that you are saying what I'm thinking?"

Meesha nodded.

"Oh my God, I've never thought about it that way", Faryal gasped. She shifted her gaze towards Huzaifa and Mahum and smiled. "I just wish it's true whatever we are thinking".

"Time to play the cupid, again", Meesha mumbled with a mischievous smile pestered on her face.

"Faryal, stop talking and have breakfast", Zohaib whispered.

"Hmm yeah", Faryal looked at him and nodded.

Everyone started getting up from the dining table once they had their breakfast.

"How are your feet now? Huzaifa asked Mahum.

"Fine", she replied.

He glanced at her feet and said, "You need to change the bandage. Do you need any help?"."I can manage that. It's completely...", her eyes fell on Haya, she was coming towards them and added "Awful".

"Huh?", he frowned.

"The wounds are awfully painful", Mahum replied with her eyes fixed on Haya.

"Huzaifa if you have a few minutes can I please discuss something with you", Haya interrupted them. Huzaifa looked at Mahum and then back to Haya.

"What am I even doing?", Mahum thought. She took a deep breath and stood up. She didn't say anything but her expression showed her wounds were painful, indeed. Huzaifa grabbed her hand to halt her movement.

"Sorry, I'll talk to you later. I need to help her first", Huzaifa stood up quickly. "Will you be able to walk?".

"I saw her running a few minutes ago I'm sure she would have no problem walking now, isn't it Mahum?", Haya narrowed her eyes and mouth pressed in a thin line.

"Aww you are such a keen observer Haya. I really liked it. But dear let me remind you I've got a right over him, we are family. Kindly excuse us", Mahum smiled. Haya threw daggers at her. Huzaifa pressed his lips togehter to stifle his laughter.

"Chalen Huzaifa (Let's go Huzaifa", she stated looking into his eyes. He nodded. He went with her to the room where she was staying and changed the bandage.

About an hour later Roshni's family left the farm house.

----------------------------------------

"As our Zahra walked by herself today, I think we should celebrate it", Baba jan wrapped his hands around Faryal and Zahra.

"Ji baba (Yes)", Faryal agreed happily. "we definitely should".

"Get dressed up, have family photos, and enjoy a delicious dinner together. Am I right uncle?", Meehsa raised an eyebrow.

"Exactly", 

"so cooool, I just love you guys". Zain bloomed. "If you ever want to adopt someone, please consider me ". He side-hugged Amma jan.

Amma jan laughed and kissed his cheek lovingly. "You are already our kid Zain".

"What do you say?", Amma jan asked dadi jan.

"It sounds lovely", Dadi jan smiled.

"Woah, I mean just amazing", Mahum cheered.

"Done", Dad confirmed.

----------------------------------------

Faryal hummed and entered into the washroom and closed the door behind her with a thud. She turned around and the moment she looked up, she froze.

Zohaib was standing in front of her with a towel wrapped around his waist, water was dripping down his body. Looking nervously at him, she gulped. He looked at her, mouth agape.

"What the---", he cursed under his breath.

"Allah Miyan", she mumbled, closed her eyes, and quickly turned around. With trembling hands she rotated the doorknob and pulled the door, ONCE, TWICE, THRICE but it didn't open. The door was stuck. The fact that he was being unclothed made her uncomfortable.

"You are unclothed", she said.

"Thanks for informing me", He replied.

"Why are you unclothed?", she groaned.

"Tell me if you know how to shower with clothes on, I'll do that for you",

"You should have locked the door", she said.

"You told me that the door gets stuck when you lock it, isn't it?",

She groaned and facepalmed.

"weren't you going to get ready in Meesha's room, I had no idea you will barge in when a poor guy is in such a state. Tch tch tum tou bht hi besharam nikli (I never knew you could be so blatant)", he was enjoying her nervousness.

"Astaghfirullah (I seek forgiveness in God) I didn't know..", She turned around and stopped midsentence when her eyes fell on him again. She placed her hand on her eyes and said " I didn't know you were in the washroom, now please open the door I want to go outside". He chuckled and put on a knee length cream-colored fur bathrobe.

"You can look now", he called out. She peeked through her fingers first, he frowned at her antics. She removed her hand and cleared her throat.

"Now will you open the door?", she said. "Please".

He strode forward, turned the doorknob, and pulled it but the door didn't open. He glanced at her, she seemed nervous, her eyebrows were wriggled.

"I'm trying", he said in a comforting tone, she nodded her head vigorously. Her palms were sweating.

"Faryal", before he could apply the force again, they heard Meesha's voice. Faryal looked at him with terror-filled eyes.

"She is..", Zohaib placed his palm on her mouth. He came dangerously close to her. She could feel the heat radiating off his body. She shivered and looked up at him.

"Faryal", Meesha knocked at the door.

"It's me", Zohaib replied looking into Faryal's eyes.

"Oops I'm sorry Zohaib, I was looking for Faryal", Meesha replied.

"It's okay", Zohaib removed his hand from her mouth once he heard the footsteps fading away.

"What would she think if she got to know I'm there too?", Faryal panicked.

"Hmm I don't know what would she think", he shrugged with a mischievous glint in his eyes. 

"Please enlighten me".

"I..I don't know?", she stuttered, her heart flipped at his words, thrumming like a humming bird's wings.

"Open the door or I'll tell baba?", she warned him.

"Tell baba what?", he bent toward her ear and whispered in a husky voice. She looked up and their eyes got locked. "In fact, I'll tell your baba what you have done", he winked.

"No", she grabbed his upper arm.

"What no?", he tucked the loose strand of hair behind her ear.

"You are nervous, right? huh....anyone would be in front of such a handsome boy", he said, his lips twitched up into amusement.

"Oh! keep dreaming. I've seen better you are just highly self-obsessed", she somehow regained her confidence, rolled her eyes, and turned her head to the side. Zohaib's smile faded.

He held her chin and turned her face towards him, "Mazak kar rahi ho? (You are joking?)", he said in a monotone.

"Who knows?", she shrugged.

"Be it, ask those "I've seen better"  to open the door for you. I don't have any problem staying here.", he folded his arms above his chest and stood beside her with his back pressed to the door.

She peeked at him from the side of her eyes. The lines on his forehead showed his displeasure. She heaved a deep sigh and poked his arm. He didn't give any reaction and kept staring at the wall. She shook her head and stood in front of him.

"Zohaib", she said but he remained unaffected.

"Zohaib sunein na (Listen) " She stepped forward. Hoping for an acknowledgment of some kind of. A blink, a nod, a frown, but nothing came.

"I'm listening to you", she stated.

"What would you listen to when I won't say anything", he rolled his eyes.

"I would listen to your silence", she replied. "I can understand it too".

"I was kidding", she said softly. "Honestly speaking I've never seen so much skin before", she blushed. He glanced at her. She nodded. He held her waist and pulled her towards himself. He turned around and exchanged their position, pressing her against the door this time.

"You think this is funny?", he raised an eyebrow and asked in a hard tone. She nodded a yes, his eyes shot open, and then she innocently shook her head indicating a no. She bit her lower lip to suppress the giggle. 

"Is it so?", he smirked. He shook his head vigorously, the water droplets from his wet hair fell on her.

"Zohaib what are you doing, stop it", she whined. He stopped and let out a chuckle. She tried to wriggle out of his hold.

"Stop wriggling, I'm not done with you yet", he whispered in her ear, she froze on her spot. Her lashes lowered and a shy blush crept on her cheeks. She grabbed a handful of his robe for support.

"It was amusing for you, huh? ", he murmured and nuzzled her cheek with his nose. Her breath hitched.

"Zohaib",

"Huh?", She felt his grip losing around her. She looked up at him, his eyes were closed. She slightly lowered down and escaped under his hand. He was caught off guard and opened his eyes.

"Ab ap darwaza khol den (open the door now)", she nervously tucked a lock of her chin-length hair behind her ear, only for it to flop again. She placed her hand on her pounding heart.

"Please", she added. He starred at her back, took a deep breath, and opened the door after a few attempts. She rushed out of the washroom without sparing him a single glance.

"Suno (Listen)", Zohaib called out when she was near the threshold of the room. She halted but didn't turn back.

"Pyari lug rahi ho (You are looking beautiful)", he stated. A slow smile appeared across her face and she left the room.

Zohaib smiled and went inside the washroom to get dressed.--------------------------------------

Mahum narrowed her eyes and checked out her appearance from almost every angle.

"Mahum when will you believe it's you in the mirror no one else", Meesha laughed.

"I'm looking different in your clothes", Mahum was surprised and kept looking at her reflection. For a tomboy like her, wearing casual desi clothes was a new experience. Faryal entered Meesha's room and sat down on the bed.

"You are looking so pretty", Meesha assured Mahum. "Haina Faryal? (right Faryal?)". Faryal was lost in her own thoughts. Meesha frowned and called her again.

"Are you okay?", Meesha placed her hand on Faryal's shoulder, breaking her chain of thoughts..

"Huh?", Faryal startled. She wiped the cold sweat formed on her forehead.

"Are you okay?", Meesha asked again. Faryal nodded, she moved forward filled a glass of water for herself, and drank it in one go.

"What were you saying?", she asked Meesha. Meesha observed her and then said 

"Don't you think Mahum should start wearing these eastern clothes now, it suits her".

Faryal shifted her eyes towards Mahum and smiled. "You are right, Mahum you are looking gorgeous".

"Thank you Fary". Mahum thought for a minute and said, "I'm loving it too, you both have to accompany me for shopping once we go back".

"Done", Meesha showed her thumbs up. "Faryal you should get ready too now".

"Yeah", Faryal frowned, she looked at herself and realized she wasn't ready yet. "Then how can he say I was looking pretty. It's strange". Her cheeks burned as she recalled what happened minutes ago. His touch still lingered on her cheeks and his deep husky voice echoed in her mind.

"Thanks for everything, love you", Mahum hugged Meesha.

"Aw don't be silly", Meesha replied.

"I'm going downstairs, please join us soon", Mahum said and she strode out of the room taking slow steps. Her wounds were hurting whenever she walked but didn't give it a thought. She stopped in front of the mirror in the corridor.

"Why are you so pretty Mahum?", she flipped her hair. "Chashm-e-badoor (far be the evil eye).

"The evil eye is no more here", she placed her hand on her mouth and giggled. She kept talking to her reflection. The door beside her clicked open. Huzaifa rushed out of the room, his eyes were fixed on the floor while he was talking to someone on the phone.

Mahum placed the corner of the dupatta on her head to check how would she look. "I'm going to take so many pictures today".

"Oo haseena zulfoon wali janejahaan", she was singing the song while adjusting the earing when suddenly Huzaifa collided with her.

"Ahhh", before she could fell down Huzaifa held her from her waist. She held him tightly. The dupatta was all over her face.

"Faryal are yo...", She removed the dupatta from her face and he left the sentence dangling for a moment. 

"Tum? (You?)". Huzaifa frowned. 

She straightened up, stepped back, and glared at him.

"Huzaifa my feet got hurt because of you, for God's sake isn't it enough already? When will you start using your eyes? Ughhh", Her eyes sharpened and nostrils flared. Huzaifa disconnected the call and stared at her in surprise. He scanned her appearance from head to toe.

She quickly looked at the mirror and adjusted her hair "Thank God, kuch kharab nahi hova". she took a sigh in relief.

"By the way, you can appraise someone if she is looking pretty?", she flipped her hair.

"Who?", he asked.

She snapped her head towards him, "Do you mean I'm not pretty".

"I didn't say that, but if you think so what can I say?", he shrugged. Her expressions changed from anger to hurt.

"Whatever you say, doesn't matter at all", she said and left the place. He starred at her retrieving figure and rubbed his forehead.

"It doesn't matter to me as well", he mumbled.

------------------------------------------------

Zohaib entered the living area, his eyes automatically tried to search for Faryal and Zahra among the whole family but both of them were nowhere.

"Uzair what do you think about the proposal now?", Dadi jan asked. "I know Roshni has taken permission from us to contact you to discuss few more things but still you must have an opinion now". Zohaib sat down to listen to their conversation.

Uzair cleared his throat and said, "She is a graceful lady, what else I can say".

"Does it mean you don't have any issue if we take the things further", Tayi ammi asked.

"Yes mama", Uzair replied.

"I was sure that once you will meet a girl you will fall head over heels in love and want to get married soon, that's how boys are", Tayi Ammi's happiness knew no bounds.

"What was that?", Zohaib raised an eyebrow. "You can fool anyone but not me, what's cooking in your mind?".

Uzair looked around, everyone was busy.

"I think she is going to refuse", Uzair whispered.

"But why?", Zohaib asked.

"I had nothing to ask her so she said she had few questions. I agreed, but her questions are more like a civil services interview. She has to understand that she had passed the civil services exam not me", Uzair frowned.

"What?", Zohaib laughed.

"She is a very elegant lady but the problem is I don't understand her. She wants me to share my views about history, current affairs, and social issues. Can you believe that?",

"So what did you say?",

"The answers I gave her weren't satisfactory for sure, because I don't have enough knowledge about these topics. I'm sure she is going to refuse the proposal". Uzair smirked.

"She is sharp and intellectual, I guess she is trying to judge you indirectly. Why didn't you deny when dadi jan asked?",

"If she can make things easier for me, why should I take the blame", Uzair shook his head. "Let the ladies be happy for a time being so next time they won't force me". Uzair smiled.

"Sudhar ja (Sort yourself out)", Zohaib slapped him on his arm.

Faryal stepped into the living area with Zahra and settled down on the sofa. She placed Zahra on her lap.

"Zahra meri jaan (My life/love) give it to me, Ammi will apply nail paint on your nails", Faryal forwarded her hand. Zahra looked at the nail paint bottle and gave it to Ammi.

"Good girl", Faryal smiled. Zohaib heard their voices and turned around. Faryal was applying nail paint on Zahra's nails. Zohaib moved back his head, but he was listening to the mother-daughter duo.

"My baby is so smart Ma'Sha'Allah", Faryal said looking at Zahra who wasn't moving her hand at all. Faryal hiccuped. She kept talking to Zahra in low voice, but her hiccups were audible. Zohaib stood up, grabbed a glass of water for her.

"Drink it", he said forwarding his hand in front of her. She paused, looked up, and then quickly glanced back at Zahra. She took the glass from his hand and drank it slowly. Zohaib sat down on the handrest of the sofa.

"Where were you both?", he asked.

"I was feeding Zahra", She replied.

"And what's Zahra doing?", he raised an eyebrow. Zahra smiled.

"You know she picked up a nail paint for herself", Faryal applied a coat of nail paint on Zahra's tiny nail.

"She is not moving her hand at all", Faryal laughed. "My beauty conscious bacha (baby)". Zohaib smiled.

------------------------------------

"Mahum baji you will be my dance partner", Zain said.

"Of course Zain", Mahum agreed. "After all it's going to be Uzair bhai's much-awaited wedding".

"Bhabhi have you seen a girl for Huzaifa or is he interested in someone?", Ayza's mother asked out of nowhere. Mahum went silent listening to Huzaifa's name.

"I don't have anyone in my sight right now and I'm sure if Huzaifa had someone he must have told me", Mom replied. She glanced in Huzaifa's direction and smiled as if to include him.

"Do you remember Mrs. Gillani", Aunty asked. Mom nodded. "Their daughter just graduated. The family is very respectable I know them personally, it's just a suggestion that you can consider them too".

Huzaifa looked at Mahum, she was already looking at him. Their eyes met and she quickly averted her eyes.

"Thanks for the suggestion bhabhi, I'm surely going to visit them", Mom smiled.

"It means we can expect Uzair bhai's and Huzaifa's wedding together", Zain was excited.

"Maybe", Tayi Ammi said.

"Oh so Mahum baji we will rock the dance floor", 

"Yeah, why not", Mahum nodded and got up.

"Where are you going?", Meesha questioned.

"I'm going to take some rest", Mahum replied.

"dinner?", Faryal asked.

"I ain't hungry", Mahum said.

"But Mahum baji what about the sky lanterns?", Zain wriggled his eyebrows.

"Zain my feet are hurting, I'm sorry", Mahum stated and left the place.

"You were right Meesha, we should do something for them", Faryal said worriedly to Meesha. "If she is not eating it means something serious is going on".

"We will do", Meesha assured her.

"Let's go outside so we can launch our sky lanterns", Baba jan said. Everyone got up from their places and started going out towards the lawn. Zohaib took Zahra from Faryal and they went outside too.

"Zahra look what we are going to do", Faryal picked up a lantern in her hand. Zohaib inflated the ballon by air so that none of the material hangs inward. Faryal lit up the lantern with the help of a lighter.

"Zahra you like it na?", Faryal asked, Zahra's reaction clearly showed she was loving it. Zahra tried to hold it in her hand.

"Nope Zahra, it's hot", Zohaib moved his hand away.

Faryal looked up at him and smiled. He was already gazing down at her, their faces were illuminated by the dim warm light coming from the lantern in his hand. He smiled back. After two minutes the lantern became buoyant, they could feel the gentle upward tug.

Zohaib let go of the lantern in the air, it floated up into the night sky giving off a beautiful warm glow.

"Oh the shooting star", Usman called out pointing towards the sky.

Faryal glanced at the sky and then back to Zohaib. The stars were falling, so were they for each other that too deeply and unknowingly.

"Take my love. I'll never ask for too much. 

Just all that you are. And everything that you do."🎶

-----------------------------------------------------

Assalam u Alikum/Namaste, ❤

I hope you're having a great day.

How was today's update?

which part of the chapter did you like?

P.S: "My companion", crossed 100k views a few days ago. Thank you everyone for being a part of it and pouring in some much love. ❤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

100K 1.9K 15
[Under Editing] *Ruthless Mafia x innocent girl* Sheza Khan youngest daughter of Kabir Khan, a minor gangster. . She is eighteen years old. She is a...
260K 8.6K 71
Ayeleen was a passionate doctor, who achieved her dream after many struggles. She was committed to a man whom she loved for seven years, and he loved...
151K 4.9K 74
••| 1st in Arranged Series |•• Can be read as a Standalone. "Thank God, you took my call," he mumbled. "Why did you send that flower bouquet?" He f...
557K 31.2K 33
❝ She came into his life like an angel that she was and changed its whole meaning ❞ The story of a brother who has spoiled his little sister rotten...