This Ain't Just Newsies No Mo...

By VaquitaLibra

What could possibly make Spot so shaken up he'll hand over Brooklyn? What could make Jack so shaken he'd give... More

Hello and Welcome! :)
Beginnings | Race
Beginnings | David
1 | New Day | Race
2 | Selling Partner | David
3 | The World Will Know | Jack
4 | It's Real | Race
5 | Never Fear, Brooklyn Is Here | Spot
6 | King of New York | Race
7 | Irving Hall | David
8 | A Hard Choice | Jack
9 | Betrayed | Jack
10 | Redeemed | David
11 | Once And For All
12 | Lion's Den | Jack
13 | We Won
14 | Date Night | Jack
15 | Sheepshead Races | Race
16 | New Day | David
17 | Siamo Italiani | Race
Author's Note
18 | Learning | Spot
19 | Take Our Time | Jack
20 | Getting Closer | Race
21 | Escape | Race
22 | Sunset | Spot
23 | Reflections | Jack
24 | Something's Wrong
25 | A Place To Start | Spot
26 | Captives | David
27 | Search | Jack
28 | Still Seeking | Spot
29 | Counting Days | David
30 | The Last Place | Jack
31| All Is Found | Race
32 | More To It | Spot
33 | Dragon's Lair | Jack
34 | Moment Of Despair | Spot
35 | Surprise!
36 | Aftermath | Spot
37 | Tend To You | David
38 | Care For You | Race
39 | Tibby's
40 | Normal Again | Spot
41 | Raduno Di Famiglia | Race
43 | Our Happy Ending
New Beginnings | David
New Beginnings | Race
Goodbye and Thank You! :)

42 | Acceptance | Jack

414 20 35
By VaquitaLibra

I LOOKED AT WATTPAD BRIEFLY ON MONDAY TO FIND 21 NOTIFICATIONS AND THEN I COME BACK TODAY TO FIND 1K READS AND 64 VOTES AND 83 COMMENTS AND THIRD IN SPRACE CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THAT HAPPENED I DIDN'T EVER EXPECT TO REACH THIS POINT HOW THE HECK DID THIS STORY REACH HERE MY MIND STILL CAN'T COMPREHEND IT

People, do I have a story for you. But first, read this chapter. With a lot of Blush!! Enjoy! :)

Considering all the things that have happened in the past month, Jack is glad for not much to be going on right now.

True, being a newsie means a dime a day and a few black eyes. But he has David. And that's all he needs.

Apparently, Mush and Kid Blink are all each other needs.

Jack, as well as many others in the lodging house, are a ways a way from Blink and Mush, wondering when they'll noticed that they're being watched.

But they just keep on going. And no one does anything to stop them.

Jack knows that if Race were here he would be smirking away. Except, Race is in Brooklyn right now. Race is almost always in Brooklyn. Not that that's a bad thing. Jack's happy that Race is happy. He deserves it.

"Ya know," Crutchie whispers as quietly as he could to Jack, "should someone tell 'em that the whole house is watchin' em?"

"Yeah, we could, but where's the fun in that?" Jack whispers back. "Besides, we get a show, free of charge, instead."

"If two people kissin' passionately is a show to you, then it's scary how easily entertained you can be."

Jack gently bumps Crutchie's shoulder. "They're cute together."

Crutchie nods. "Yeah, they'se meant for each other."

Jack is just surprised that everyone has been quiet this long. It turns out, something can hold a collection of newsies' attention--and not just a pretty girl that walks by.

Mush and Blink have just ultimately tuned out their surroundings, oblivious to all the staring eyes. Everyone doesn't matter to them anymore. It's just them alone.

Jack gets that. He knows what it's like to feel like he and David are the only ones in the world. It's a euphoric feeling sometimes. That they don't need anyone else but each other.

Kid Blink's arms are draped over Mush's shoulders, Mush's hands are on Blink's waist.

"Jack, the circulation bell's gonna ring soon," Crutchie mentions.

"I know."

"You ain't gonna step in? The strike's over. We can work again just fine."

"Nah, I'm good at the moment."

"It ain't Weasel who you'll annoy by bein' late."

"Aw, man. You're right."

"Ya might worry David."

"That's another good point."

Some nights, David decides to reside with the newsies. Other nights, he stays with his family. Jack gets that. Last night was one of those nights where he was with his family. Jack and David always know they'll see each other soon. As long as nothing as like what happened with the Delanceys ever happens again.

Someone decides for him, though, if they're all just going to sit there, watching, or actually move. 

Well, actually, two people. Coming through the door at the same time.

David and Racetrack.

"Hey, what's new 'round here...?" Race starts cheerfully but then trails off.

Mush and Kid Blink jump back.

"Am...am I interruptin' something?" Race asks.

Then Race, David, Blink, and Mush turn to see all the other newsies against the wall.

"WHAT THE HECK, GUYS?!" Kid Blink shouts at them all.

"NOT FUNNY!!" Mush agrees.

Jack chuckles. "Ya finally noticed."

There was some other chuckling, and some complaining in the back, like "aw, come on! We was wantin' to see how long they'd go!" and other things like that.

And now Blink and Mush blush profusely.

Race smirks. Jack knew that was coming.

"Well, it's a shame then that I wasn't here, I would have loved to have bet on something like that."

That just makes the couple look even more embarrassed.

Then, out of no where, David just starts laughing. It catches some off guard.

Then, Race joins in.

Then Jack, and more.

Then Blink and Mush exchange glances and burst out laughing too.

Whoever wasn't laughing already is now doubling over.

Laughter is the best medicine, they say. Whoever they is, they is correct.

"Okay, everyone," Jack says, still chuckling. "Now it's really time to get ready."

"How's the headline?" Race asks Jack in line after Jack just got his newspapers.

"Give me more than one second to look at a page, will ya?"

Race rolls his eyes and shoves Jack's shoulder good naturedly.

There really is no telling when the headline will be inexplicable extraordinary or extra ordinary. Or just...be normally moderate. The good thing is, is that no matter if the headline is good or bad, people still like knowing the news, and many bend over with pity for poor orphans who are desperately trying to make a living by selling a penny a pape.

"Where to today?" Jack asks David after he gets his papes.

"Well, we tried Bottle Alley yesterday."

"Wanna do that again, or try the harbor?"

"Either one works for me." Then David stops. "Hey, Jack?"

"Hm?"

"Wanna come over for dinner tonight?"

Jack smiles. "Yeah, I'd love that."

David smiles back.

Well, that's one thing decided for the day.

They walk down the street.

And so begins another day of selling newspapers.

It's evening now. Jack and David made a considerable pay for today. And Medda was right about Les when she said that he had real talent.

"David, you're home!" David's mother greets them at the door. She greets Les by pulling him into her arms. Then looks up at Jack. "Hello to you too, Jack!"

Jack dips his head politely and tries not to feel nervous. He's done this a million times. Yet, his stomach gets a little bit fluttery, thinking about how to David's parents, his relationship with their eldest son is strictly an innocent and platonic friendship. He feels like he's lying, but there really isn't too much they can do.

After dinner, Jack and David go outside on the balcony.

They spent time here on their first day they knew each other.

And now they stand right next to each other, holding hands, still smiling and gazing into each other's eyes.

"I love you, Davey," Jack murmurs. "I need to say that while our lives ain't crazy. I really, really love you."

"I love you too," David says, before kissing Jack. Jack kisses back. It's sweet and tender.

They hear rustling coming from the other side of the window.

Whoever it is inside the house can see David and Jack--and depending on the lighting, exactly what they were doing.

Out of pure instinct and alarm, Jack and David spring apart from each other.

It's Mr. Jacobs.

David is looking really panicked. All Jack wants to do is to hug him, tell him it'll be alright. But Jack is frozen in place. David is half way between temporary paralysis and panic attack. This is also the part where many bad things can happen.

For a few moments, no one does anything.

Then, David's father remarks, "It will get cold real soon. Don't stay out there too long. Wouldn't want either of you to catch a cold." And then he walks away.

Jack sags a little in relief.

In all the ways that could have ended...

That was not what Jack was expecting.

But he's happy that that's what happened instead of...

He's not going to think about it.

He looks over at David. David, who is still frozen in place with shock.

"Hey," Jack says. "Davey. It's okay. He's okay with us. They'se okay with us. We ain't got nothin' to hide no more from 'em."

And with that confirmation David sinks to the ground. His legs are still shaking.

"Aw Dave." Jack gets on the ground with David. Jack knows that this is what scared David the most. Not knowing how his parents would react. If they would accept them, or kick him out, or do much, much worse. "Come here." He embraces David. David hugs back fiercely. "It's okay. It's okay, Davey. Ya know that, right?"

"I just feel so happy to be accepted," David whispers in Jack's ear.

"It's amazing, ain't it?"

"The most wonderful thing ever."

True, the air is getting a little colder. But it's still late summer; nothing too bad. Besides, for as long as they decide to stay outside in the moment, huddled on the ground, they have each other to keep warm, and the knowledge that even if the world will hate them for who they are, they still have those few who will accept them and continue to love them, no matter what.

I didn't expect Blush to take up like half of this chapter haha.

I just needed to write a chapter for David to get accepted by his family. No big coming out. Just me writing bad plot that still hopefully wasn't that bad.

Or, just, David being accepted in general. Because to me, David is that kind of person who is terrified of coming out, even though it would probably be okay. And that's me, whether I like it or not. So, as an outlet for my personal conflicted feelings of coming out ... I have David.

I still can't get over the 1k reads. I was trying to tell myself that it really is like an average of 23 readers, but still. I thought it was just having so many chapters that got it to that many reads, but it's 3rd in Sprace at the moment, so I think I'm doing something right.

I wanted Crutchie to say that Blink and Mush were making out, but that wasn't a term until 1949.

The first time someone said "laughter is the best medicine" or at least started the idea was Henri de Mondeville in the 1300's. 

Story time! Exactly like what I promised at the beginning!

Quick note--I kinda did a very bi thing. I kinda sorta over a school year developed crush-like feelings for two people born the same year I was (but aren't in my grade but they are in the same grade), who are of opposite genders, and are both bi.

Wednesday, June 16, 2021. It was supposed to be our second-to-last day of school. Thursday was supposed to be a half day. Then, today at 1:00 pm, we all learned that the health department had to shut down our school and put it in quarantine because there was a positive covid case, but that person never said they tested positive. So, we all had to leave school early after we found out. Tomorrow was supposed to be some sort of out door assembly, and other things. We don't get that. Today became our last day of school. If even 24 hours later we learned about the positive covid case, we would have had a full complete last day of school. Now, two years in a row, we at my school have had unsatisfactory endings of the school year. But this one hits harder because we were so darn close. Sorry I'm switching tenses so many times haha.

That whole debacle put me through some serious sensory overload. When I got home, I got as many comfort foods as I could and watched Newsies at loud volume, because I was left home alone. I don't regret any decision I made.

On the 21st, that's the summer solstice, when it's finally legitimately summer.

HAPPY PRIDE MONTH!!!!! :)     <3

Is it just me, or does Luke Edwards's Les look kinda like young Jared S. Gilmore's Henry from Once Upon A Time?  (If anyone wants to talk anything about the Once Upon A Time fandom, I'm here!!). If you put them together and called them brothers I'd believe you.

And guess what? Now that I don't have school, I don't have to worry about how late I stay up reading or writing fanfiction. 1:00 am, here I come!

Please, no homophobia, profanities, hate etc in the comment section.

Best,

~Your Beloved Author (who hopes all of you had/will have a satisfactory ending to a very rough roller-coaster school year)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.5K 231 31
"ℐ𝒻 ℐ π’Έβ„΄π“Šπ“π’Ή π’·β„―β„Šπ’Ύπ“ƒ 𝓉ℴ 𝒷ℯ, 𝒽𝒢𝓁𝒻 ℴ𝒻 π“Œπ’½π’Άπ“‰ π“Žβ„΄π“Š 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝓀 ℴ𝒻 𝓂ℯ. ℐ π’Έβ„΄π“Šπ“π’Ή 𝒹ℴ π’Άπ’·β„΄π“Šπ“‰ π’Άπ“ƒπ“Žπ“‰π’½π’Ύπ“ƒβ„Š, ℐ π’Έβ„΄π“Šπ“π’Ή ℯ𝓋ℯ𝓃 𝓁ℯ�...
2.7K 88 20
In 1899, the streets of New York city echoed with the voices of newsies. Newsies--kids, teens. Kids who came from everywhere. Kids who didn't fit the...
3K 84 13
"A newsie? You were a newsie mama? Tell me about it? Please?" ---------------------------------------- Sean and Juliette had been friends since ther...
1.7K 48 22
"Jack why's do I have ta come?" Race questions. "Because Racer, your my second which means you have ta come ta meetings and that includes Brooklyn."...