This Ain't Just Newsies No Mo...

By VaquitaLibra

What could possibly make Spot so shaken up he'll hand over Brooklyn? What could make Jack so shaken he'd give... More

Hello and Welcome! :)
Beginnings | Race
Beginnings | David
1 | New Day | Race
2 | Selling Partner | David
3 | The World Will Know | Jack
4 | It's Real | Race
5 | Never Fear, Brooklyn Is Here | Spot
6 | King of New York | Race
7 | Irving Hall | David
8 | A Hard Choice | Jack
9 | Betrayed | Jack
10 | Redeemed | David
11 | Once And For All
12 | Lion's Den | Jack
13 | We Won
14 | Date Night | Jack
15 | Sheepshead Races | Race
16 | New Day | David
17 | Siamo Italiani | Race
Author's Note
18 | Learning | Spot
19 | Take Our Time | Jack
20 | Getting Closer | Race
21 | Escape | Race
22 | Sunset | Spot
23 | Reflections | Jack
24 | Something's Wrong
25 | A Place To Start | Spot
26 | Captives | David
27 | Search | Jack
28 | Still Seeking | Spot
29 | Counting Days | David
30 | The Last Place | Jack
31| All Is Found | Race
32 | More To It | Spot
34 | Moment Of Despair | Spot
35 | Surprise!
36 | Aftermath | Spot
37 | Tend To You | David
38 | Care For You | Race
39 | Tibby's
40 | Normal Again | Spot
41 | Raduno Di Famiglia | Race
42 | Acceptance | Jack
43 | Our Happy Ending
New Beginnings | David
New Beginnings | Race
Goodbye and Thank You! :)

33 | Dragon's Lair | Jack

582 14 34
By VaquitaLibra

I'm literally playing into a cliché by making the title of this a literal part of the hero's journey. But it's dramatic and says a lot! And judging by what happened in the last chapter, this is needed. Not to mention they're in a literal dungeon. And yes, there are probably a lot of questions about the plot. It gets explained. I'm kinda impressed with myself that I could create something as big like this. Everything is going to move rather quickly from here. Anyway. Enjoy! :)

"No."

That is the only word that escapes Jack's mouth in the dead silence.

That single word would be the equivalent of quiet so great you could hear a pin drop. A quiet like this.

No.

It can't be.

And yet it is.

David wraps his arms protectively around Jack. Maybe Jack should be the one doing that to David, but right now Jack is too shaken to care. Besides, he doesn't feel like the stronger one right now, and David supporting him is all he needs.

"You-" Jack points at Snyder. He tries not to let his voice betray his emotions. "you are supposed to be locked away right now. How are you...?"

"If you think I escaped prison, like you did, you are terribly mistaken," Snyder tells him.

Jack hates Snyder's voice.

Jack hates Snyder's creepy eyes that never leave him.

Jack hates Snyder.

And he ain't ever gonna hurt my friends.

That thought gives him the strength he needs. He gently shrugs out of David's arms.

He can do this.

At least, I hope I can.

He swallows.

I have to.

"Well then. How did you get out, then?" Jack asks. "I'm pretty sure it was a longer sentence than that."

It's been roughly two weeks since the strike, give or take. Surely a man who did such awful things as Snyder has done would have a longer sentence.

"It was never a long sentence," Snyder tells him dissmissively. "You know, Sullivan, if someone in prison is good, his sentence is shorter, rather than having it extended for being bad."

Jack knows that that one was directed right at him. He clenches his fist. His breath quickened a little when he heard the name Sullivan. Nothing wrong with the name. Even if he doesn't like it. It's just whose mouth the name is coming out of.

"That ain't his name no more," Race pipes up.

"His name is Jack Kelly," David adds firmly.

"And you ain't never goin' to get him again," Spot finishes, eyes defiant.

Jack is really touched now. Except, all he can do is wait, and watch for what Snyder is going to do. This isn't even about the Delanceys or Weasel anymore. They're forgotten. All that matters now is Snyder, and all he could potentially do.

Aside from a small flash in his eyes, Snyder's expression doesn't change that much. He just seems...amused at their protectiveness and confidence, making him all the more dangerous.

"Oh, is that so?" He sounds like he's talking to ten year olds. Condescending is not a good look for everyone. Snyder's just so much worse. "Well, you all are forgetting one thing." Then, much colder, "I can do much worse than sending these two to capture you. I came up with this whole plan, didn't I?" He eyes Weasel. "And in return for creating such a wonderful plan, the only thing I asked in return was to be released from jail, and to have the plan orchestrated well."

So Weasel hadn't created the whole plan. Makes sense.

Except, he still is a better candidate than either Delancey.

But Snyder...

And Weasel was the one who put in the good word for Snyder to be let out of prison.

Well played.

So...those four do have the upper hand. But our scrappy four can't let that bring them down.

Seize the day, Jack repeats in his mind. Seize the day like David wants. Nothing can break us. No one can make us give our rights away.

"So...what now?" Jack asks simply. "You have us all here. The Delanceys want us to hand over Brooklyn and Manhattan to them in exchange for Race and David. If we don't, they'll tell everyone about us bein' together.  Even if we manage to escape, they can still tell people. Weasel wants to see our downfall. I think you want that as well. But, here's the thing. We can still escape. We can soak the Delanceys so good, and make them promise never to harm any of us ever again. We can find ways to keep 'em and Weasel quiet. Sure, it may be hard, but we pulled off a strike, remember? You ain't gonna stop us easily."

A few moments of silence.

Jack gets encouraging and praising hand squeezes from David, Race, and Spot. You tell him, Jack, is what those hands squeezing his briefly tell him.

Weasel and the Delanceys look at Snyder expectantly, wondering how he will react to all this.

Snyder stares at them coldly, but does something very unexpected. He laughs. A rich person chuckle. And now he's all the more scarier.

"You think the Delanceys are the only ones who wanted to hold the two boys hostage?" Snyder asks. "No, no. I have a different idea."

Uh oh.

So by holding Race and David hostage, the Delanceys get Brooklyn and Manhattan in return. But if Snyder is holding one or both hostage...

"It's an exchange," Snyder exchange. He looks Jack directly in the eye. "This is just for you. In exchange for David leaving safely, you give yourself to me, never to escape any prison I put you in ever again."

Jack's blood runs cold.

He knew there had to be a catch.

Spot has no quarrel with him. At least he's safe from Snyder. That thought fills him with at least some temporary relief. Race is safe from him too, then.

It's just now I have to worry about getting Davey and me out of here in one piece.

"THIS HAS GONE ON TOO LONG!" Weasel bursts. Then he demands, "Oscar! Morris! Soak 'em! Soak 'em all! If they won't listen to our offers, they're gonna have to answer to fists!"

Spot cracks his knuckles. Jack can tell that he's been preparing for this.

Jack holds up his fists. He's ready to fight.

Oscar and Morris look very pleased at being told to fight them.

"Davey. Race. You'se two not well. Stay behind us."

"No!" Race protests. "I can fight!"

Before anyone else can argue, the Delanceys surge forward.

And the fight is on.

Weasel backs up out of the fight zone, pleased with what he's done. Snyder's eyes are as cold and calculating as ever. It's hard to tell what he's thinking.

A swing here.

A punch there.

A kick.

A new bloody nose.

A new shiner.

It's hard to tell who is doing what.

In the past few days, the Delanceys are the only one with good nights' sleep and good food and water daily. They are strong.

But Jack's will is just as strong.

He fights back harder. He hits Morris's jaw. Spot gives Oscar a black eye. Race and David do what they can, but they're still so, so weak.

Suddenly, Morris snatches David. In one swell move, he gives David a hit to the head so hard he's knocked unconsious.

"No!" Jack yells, sinking to the floor. He reaches out for David.

"Why, you little-" Spot shouts, and in a moment of distraction, no one knows exactly what happened in the confusion.

But somehow Oscar has a hold of Race, pointing a gun directly to his head.

No one, absolutely no one moves.

"No," Spot whispers. His knees weaken.

Jack springs up. 

"Jack, I'm not worth it," Race tells him. "I don't want you to get hurt."

Jack can't do anything.

This isn't a stalemate.

This is one move away from a checkmate.

And Jack's not on the winning side.

"So what will it be?" Snyder asks calmly in the back. "Will you give in to all our terms?"

Jack and Spot have no easy way out of this.

They may not have a way out of this at all.

I hope that's captivating enough.

I wrote this in like an hour.

More is coming later today.

Dang, this thing got dark.

Is there anything in here that you may have wanted a trigger warning for? Or in past chapters?

It gets better. I promise. I'm not gonna leave them in the dragon's lair forever.

HAPPY PRIDE MONTH!! :)   <3

It's Johnny Depp's birthday. He's 58. CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW IS ALMOST 60. NO I AM NOT OKAY. Please, no hate on Johnny Depp. He's been through enough.

As of June 6th, Max Casella is now 54. RACETRACK HIGGINS IS 54. I LITERALLY CAN'T.

Please, no homophobia, profanities, hate etc in the comment section.

Best,

~Your Beloved Author (who got woken up 6 hours after they fell asleep as their mom checked their temperature, and apparently they have a small fever after a second covid shot yesterday, but their arm doesn't hurt that bad, and they had blueberries for breakfast this morning, so it's all good)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.7K 300 47
PLEASE READ "Carrying The Banner//A Modern Day Newsies Story//COMPLETED" FIRST! You do not have to but it would help a lot. Finally, the strike is ov...
44.4K 1.1K 46
Racetrack Higgins, a Manhattan Newsie. Spot Conlon's best friend and crush, not that they would admit that they have crushes on each other. No one...
1.6K 12 22
What if the Newsies never forgave Jack for his betrayal speech during the rally? After the strike ended, Jack was titled "The Disgraced Newsie". Whe...
3K 84 13
"A newsie? You were a newsie mama? Tell me about it? Please?" ---------------------------------------- Sean and Juliette had been friends since ther...