Redeemed

By Testode

War. Thea wants no part of it, especially after it took her father's life. But the war won't leave her alone... More

Ch. 1
Ch. 2
Ch. 3
Ch. 4
Ch. 5
Ch. 6
Ch. 7
Ch. 8
Ch. 9
Ch. 10
Ch. 11
Ch. 13a
Ch. 13b
Ch. 13c
Ch. 14
Ch. 15
Ch. 16
Ch. 17
Ch. 18
Ch. 19
Ch. 20
Ch. 21
Ch. 22
Ch. 23
Ch. 24
Ch. 25
Ch. 26
Ch. 27
Ch. 28
Ch. 29
Ch. 30
Ch. 31
Ch. 32
Ch. 33
Ch. 34
Ch. 35
Ch. 36
Ch. 37
Ch. 38
Ch. 39
Ch. 40
Ch. 41
Ch. 42
Ch. 43
Ch. 44
Ch. 45
Ch. 46
Ch. 47
Ch. 48
Ch. 49
Ch. 50
Ch. 51
Ch. 52
Ch. 53
Ch. 54
Ch. 55
Ch. 56
Ch. 57
Ch. 58
Epilogue
Afterword
Pronunciation Guide

Ch. 12

9 3 0
By Testode

Warm, fresh, and mouth-watering smells wafted under the crack in my door as I finished dressing for the day. Looking in the mirror, I frowned, testing my tough face out with the black pants and dark green tunic. While yesterday I had been trying for the polished, confident look of a lady, today I wanted the fighter to show. The tunic's sleeves were tight enough to show off my muscles without being constraining, and I hoped my taller-than-average height would sell the idea that I shouldn't be messed with. Deeming my appearance stern and professional enough to appear in front of the council members, I followed the wishes of my grumbling stomach and stepped into the main room to find a spread of breakfast items.

Blueberry muffins, warm bread, pancakes, sausages, fruit, and tea decorated the table, and, wait, was that bacon adorning the end of the table like a bright summer day? Rushing over, I began filling a plate, grabbing a handful of bacon. Biting into a piece, I groaned as the flavor filled my mouth and reached for the fruit only to pause as a soft ahem sounded behind me.

"Excuse me, my lady," a worker murmured as he set the table. Heat filled my cheeks as I realized my brusqueness.

"Sorry, I didn't notice you," I said, putting the bacon back down. He did not respond as he finished setting the plates and silverware out, though I noted his thin frame, his wan features, the way his hand paused in front of his stomach as if it hurt.

"Are you hungry? Here, have a muffin. There is certainly no way we can finish all of this," I said, extending a muffin toward the worker.

His eyes widened, and he took a step back, waving his hands in front of him. "No, no, I am fine. I already ate." The want in his eyes and his grumbling stomach gave away the lie, but before I could press him again, Nourse and Ern came out of their rooms and the worker was gone.

"They certainly know 'ow to give out a feast!" exclaimed Ern, taking half of the remaining bacon and sausages and shoving them in his mouth. How dainty.

Nourse took his time selecting his food, carefully arranging it on his plate so that each item had its own little space, ever the organized and sophisticated leader. Even his bites were polite, refined, as if he had been taught how to eat without getting a crumb on himself. I wondered if he had learned such things as a guard to the Prince.

After letting us get the edge off of our hunger, Nourse took out a sheet of paper and ink. "What ideas did you think of last night?"

"I still think a bit o' roughin' 'em up will fix it," said Ern. "Teach 'em to keep ta their own side." I rolled my eyes, not surprised that Ern was not able to come up with something more creative. Though I saw Nourse write the suggestion down. Surely he was just humoring Ern.

"Thea, what about you?"

I set my cup of tea down, gathering my thoughts. "I still believe that people are stealing these items because they cannot afford what they need."

"Great, but how's that fixin' the problem?" interrupted Ern. Nourse shot him a look, silencing him, and I continued, ignoring his outburst.

"What if the poor were to get jobs in the shops helping the owners? They could be paid in food or money. Plus, they would be less likely to steal from an area that they are in charge of."

"Do you think the shopkeepers would agree to this?" questioned Nourse, eyebrows scrunched.

"Surely it's better than having their shops broken into and pilfered. Besides, think of that man we saw yesterday. He was trying to get food, probably because he could not afford to feed his family. The bread ended up in the trash anyway." Nourse nodded, writing the idea down. We continued brainstorming ideas for the next half hour before Nourse stood, telling us it was time to go and to leave the talking to him.

Though the warehouse was only down the road a few blocks, we still took our horses. Something about needing to set the right appearance and tone.

As we approached the building, its gray stone walls glinting in the sun, I marveled at its massiveness. No one would say the building was pretty, not with its square shape and dull color, but its appearance almost did not matter when compared to its size. The top of the building was so high that the sentries guarding it appeared as ants. I wondered how they ever marked their targets from such a height. Like the other buildings in the city, thin catwalks connected its roof to the others.

Stable hands took our horses at the foot of the stairs, and we climbed to the thick oak doors. Its stark and practical appearance stayed the same on the inside. Stairs connected the levels. I counted at least five before a servant arrived to show us to the meeting room.

While the building had been simple and bare so far, the meeting room proved to be slightly menacing. A curved table with five tall-backed chairs sat at the back, slightly higher than the rest of the room. The council members' seats. Padded benches filled the rest of the space. It was in the front bench that we sat.

"I feel like I'm in court," I whispered.

"What'd you do this time?" Ern jested, elbowing me. I elbowed him back, only stopping when Nourse shot us a glare and nodded to the back of the room.

Five men, each wearing long, flowing robes and carrying papers, entered and seated themselves around the curved table. I had to crane my neck to see them from our lowered spots, surely something the planners of this city had intended. Though this city might belong to Marduk in name, I had the feeling the real owners were sitting in front of us. Nourse sat up straighter, as if sensing the same thing.

We waited silently as the men finished settling themselves, arranging the papers in front of them. After the shuffling sounds stopped, the man in the middle addressed us, his long gray beard giving away his years.

"Welcome, envoys of Marduk. Though I hoped to meet the man himself, it seems he has other matters to attend to. My name is Simon."

Nourse stood, dipping his head. "Marduk sends his regrets at being unable to attend. Pressing matters have arisen, preventing his being here. However, be assured that he sends his second-in-command in his place. My name is Nourse."

"Nourse, it is good to see you again," said Simon, and I realized the earlier speeches had merely been protocol. "Before we decide on whether or not to continue endorsing Marduk, there are certain matters we need to discuss." I raised my brows in surprise. I had thought we were merely here to collect our dues and offer guidance, not persuade these people to continue backing Marduk in the war.

If Nourse was caught off guard, he did not show it, his face a mask. I attempted to follow his example.

"Is the matter in regard to the recent robberies?" Nourse inquired, his tone civil.

"Indeed. Our people are growing tired of losing their goods and profits. Though our sentries have apprehended many, there are still more who get away." Our people? This man spoke as if the robbers were not their own citizens.

"What would you desire from us?" Nourse asked. Simon leaned back in his chair, setting his hands on top of his very round and well-fed belly. Obviously, he was not wanting for food.

"When we agreed to side with Marduk, he promised us our profits and fortunes would rise, and they have. However, he also promised that we would be protected, our assets secure. This has proven shaky in the recent weeks. We desire to know how you plan to fix this dilemma."

"First," spoke Nourse, his demeanor completely calm, "we need to know the nature of these robberies. Who is responsible, where they are coming from, why they are targeting the wealthy sections of town." I blinked at Nourse. Didn't we already know this information? As if noting my surprise, Simon raised his brows, speaking in a calm, smooth tone, much like what I would presume a snake would sound like if it could talk.

"We believe the people responsible are coming from the slums. Though no leader has been identified, it is certainly possible that a group is forming from the unrest of raising taxes. The poor have always proven to be lazy and unwilling to work for their keep." I clenched my fists as his words rang through me, red filling my vision. Would we really just sit by and allow this kind of talk?

"Aren't these people under your protection, too?" I challenged, standing. "Surely they deserve to be treated fairly and not generalized by unfounded accusations." Nourse shot me a look, irritation on his face. I didn't care; there had to be a better reason for these recent robberies than unrest at raising taxes.

"I see your subordinates have teeth," Simon said, smiling slightly. It reminded me of the smile on a serpent. A hungry one. "What's your name?"

"Thea."

"Well, Thea, a piece of advice: never show your hand until you know all the cards." I blinked, looking back at Nourse, only to realize he had asked those previous questions to sound out the council, see what they wanted. I bit my lip, looking at the floor, before sitting back down.

"It seems Marduk has grown a soft spot for the needy," Simon continued. "Does he wish us to redistribute our hard earned wealth to those who have done nothing?"

"Forgive Thea. She is new and is still learning," said Nourse, dipping his head. I followed his lead, bowing my head. "She only means to understand the motives of these thieves. If you desire it, we can send reinforcements into those areas, institute a curfew." Ern's plan. Beside me, he grinned, pleased to hear it voiced out loud.

Grumbles sounded from the men as they conferred on this idea. One man with cropped brown hair and beard was really getting into the argument, wagging his finger at the others. After several minutes of this passed, Simon cleared his throat, calling for order.

"We do not think it wise to enforce a stricter military presence. It might make the people actually form a group if there is not one already." Ern slumped in his chair, face downcast. I smothered my smile.

"Better luck next time," I whispered.

"Perhaps this idea will appeal to you, then," continued Nourse, unfazed by the rejection. "Assign jobs to the poor as helpers and workers to the shopkeepers or other areas of the city. In exchange, they will receive food and clothing."

"You mean to train them and offer them a chance at a different life?" said Simon, eyebrows raised.

"Earlier you said how lazy and unwilling the poor are. I would argue they are simply misguided and in need of a firmer hand to lead the way." My idea. That was my idea being presented.

Simon smiled, and again the men conferred. The brown-haired man was still very much into the debate, though he seemed calmer this time, as if he were arguing for the idea rather than against.

After what seems like hours, though in reality it was probably closer to ten minutes, Simon called the meeting back to order. I noticed the brown-haired man sitting back with a small smile on his face.

"We agree with this plan," Simon said, clasping his hands on the table, "though we request supplies to start the project, such as food and basic clothing."

"Do you agree to renew our alliance?" Nourse pressed. Nods from around the table were directed at Simon.

"We agree to continue our alliance. You will find the document saying so here, and the servant will bring you your dues." Simon reached under a pile of papers, selecting one with all five signatures of the councilmen. They had already signed the document, meaning they had already agreed to renew the alliance before this entire debate had even started. I ground my teeth, realizing how they had led us around in order to get what they wanted. As if Marduk would not have supplied them with the items if they had already agreed.

Nourse simply accepted the paper, showing no sign of annoyance at being deceived, and nodded his head. "We will leave now. Thank you for your continued support."

We started for the door when Simon cleared his throat once more. "May I ask whose idea this was?"

Nourse gave a small smile, something like pride crossing his face.

"Thea's."

Simon regarded me in a new light. Was that respect or surprise glittering in his eyes? "Really? You have more promise than I first thought. Perhaps we will meet again."

I dipped my head, not sure if his words were praise or a veiled insult, and walked out of the room, happy to be away from this man's poisonous games.

***

The cool night air washed away any lingering bad feelings as we set up our bed rolls under the open sky. Stars glittered down, even brighter than usual due to the new moon. In the center of our triangle of beds crackled the fire, its warmth enough to keep the early summer night chill away.

We had left Tunack immediately after the meeting, stopping in Veranth to collect our dues and renew the alliance. Compared to Tunack, Veranth, a small town in the middle of the plains, had been a cake walk. They cheered upon our arrival, renewed the forms, fed us lunch, and sent us on our way with the dues in a few short hours. We continued riding until the sun set, then set up camp. We would reach our final town tomorrow afternoon.

I sighed, hand under my chin, as I reflected on the day. Tunack, and the council in particular, still perplexed me. Why had the council played such games when they were going to sign the alliance, anyway?

At least they had agreed to my plan. Surely that should make everything better and help bring peace to the city's streets. I wondered who that brown-haired man was and what he had said to convince the rest of the council. He seemed like a good person to know.

"Is everything all right?" Nourse asked, coming over to sit by me. "Or are Ern's lack of sleeping manners keeping you awake?" Indeed, Ern's heavy snores filled the air, sure to keep away even the scariest of beasts. I smiled at Nourse's attempt at humor.

"I just don't understand why the council egged us on when their decision was already made."

Nourse remained silent, gathering his thoughts. "I've represented Marduk for the city of Tunack many years, and every time it is always the same. The council is shrewd, but that is how the city has lasted for so long."

"I'm glad Marduk and you have been straight forward with me," I said, looking at Nourse. "I don't think I could handle playing this game of intrigue all the time, what with the uncertainty and lack of trust it brings." Nourse remained silent, a slight frown on his face. His eyes met mine, a question in them, but instead of voicing that question he turned away.

"You should get some rest. We have a long day tomorrow. I'll take first watch." With those words, Nourse strode away, leaving me to rest.

***

Firm yet gentle taps nudged me into wakefulness. A cold, northern breeze sent goosebumps over my arms. The dim light of the fire smoldered in the center.

"Thea, get up. We have trouble." Nourse's tall figure stood over me, his voice urgent. I stood to find a dozen eyes fixed on us, glowing in the dim light. On the other side of the fire stood Ern, sword out.

"What are those creatures?" I asked, envisioning darkness and nightmares, sharp claws and snaggly teeth.

In answer, one prowled forward, revealing two pointed ears and a muzzle drawn into a growl. A wolf, much like the one that had attacked me and Marcus earlier this spring. Ern slashed at the creature, forcing it to retreat with a snarl.

"Aren't wolves usually afraid of fire and people?" I asked, drawing my sword.

Nourse grunted. "Yes, yet here we are. These wolves must be desperate. Thea, Ern, attack positions." We fanned out, forming a triangle with the fire in the middle, and readied our stances. Rumors circulated about the fierceness of the wolves in the Great Plains and how they were unusually resourceful and intelligent. As I watched the wolves circle, I could only hope that was all the stories were: rumors. Regardless, if the creatures attacked, intelligent or not, my sword would cut them the same.

The wolves prowled around us, circling, one occasionally bounding closer only to retreat at our swipes. I marked six wolves, though there may have been more; it was hard to tell in the light and with their constant movement.

A gust blew through our camp, blowing bits of dirt and grass around us and forcing us to shield our eyes. The wolves, as if containing the preternatural intelligence told in the rumors, attacked. I barely raised my sword in time to stop the flashing teeth from ripping out my throat. Beside me, I heard a whine as Nourse laid open a wolf, pushing its body to the ground.

With a yell, I charged, aiming for a brown-gray wolf. It turned and snarled, rage flickering in its eyes. I brought my sword down, intending to cleave the beast from head to tail, but it dodged away.

Easy. This should have been easy. A few sword swipes and yells should have been all it took to scatter the wolves, yet they fought as if they could predict the next strike and respond, as if there was something more important than mere survival to fight for.

The brown-gray wolf and I danced around, me striking, it dodging, and vice-versa. Growing frustrated, I lunged toward the creature's open flank, intending to run it through, but it seemed to sense my movements and dodged, leaving me wide open. The wolf struck. Unable to get my sword in front of me in time, I turned. Instead of tearing me in two, the wolf's claws scratched my arm. I cried out, pressing my hand to the wound as warm blood flowed down.

These wolves indeed fought like the stories told, and I was underestimating them.

"Read their movements, Thea, don't overthink!" Nourse called, busy defending himself against a large black wolf.

Don't overthink. The first lesson Nourse had taught me that first day of training when I had let my temper get to me. Think you know everything about your opponent, and you would likely miss something important, something life-ending.

I stared at the wolf, forcing my mind to only focus on its current movements, emptying it of analysis. The fight was here and now. That is where I needed to be.

The wolf approached again, but this time I stood my ground, waiting for it to strike. And when it did, lunging for my throat, I responded.

Raising my arm in a forward slash, my sword met the neck of the wolf at just the right moment, tearing the head off the body. Blood sprayed everywhere, splattering my face, but the wolf stayed down.

A howl rose through the night, and as quickly as the wolves had appeared, they vanished.

I bent over, breathing heavily, and tried to wipe the blood off. Nourse and Ern walked over, both coated in blood.

"Are you all right?" Nourse asked, laying a hand on my shoulder. I nodded, straightening, and pointed to the slash on my arm. Nourse frowned and went to grab medical supplies.

"Aren' you quite the sight!" grinned Ern as he saw my blood splattered face. "You coulda walked out of a monster story!"

"I still look better than you," I quipped, flashing a grin. Ern laughed, slapping me on the back.

Neighing broke out behind us. The horses!

Turning to the tree we had tied them to, my eyes widened in surprise. They were all fine, only startling at the smell of blood on Nourse as he grabbed supplies from the saddlebags. Weird. If those wolves had been hungry, why didn't they go after the defenseless horses rather than us?

I could tell Nourse was troubled by the same question as he wrapped my wound. Taking out his water, he wet a cloth and handed it to me, instructing me to wipe off the blood on my skin. He did the same for Ern before tending to himself.

"Something is wrong, isn't it?" I asked. Nourse didn't answer as he scanned the horizon.

"We need to move."

"Ya mean go ta the next town? It'll be daybreak when we reach it! Surely the townsfolk won' appreciate bein' woke -" Ern's words died out as Nourse stood in front him, inches away from his face.

"We need to move."

We packed up in silence and headed to the next town, reaching it just as the sun started to rise as Ern had predicted.

I had expected to stay in this town for at least the morning, or at least long enough to get a good breakfast, but Nourse merely knocked on the mayor's door, asked for the dues and signature, and we were off.

"Couldn't we at least have stayed for breakfast?" I grumbled as we trotted away, heading back to our base.

"It's better that we get back and not spend another night out here," stated Nourse. He glanced over his shoulder. Seeing my pitiful face - I might have been clutching my stomach and looking like a sad puppy sent to its kennel - Nourse sighed, reaching into his saddle bag and tossing me a piece of jerky.

Cold, hard meat for breakfast. Great.

But we continued riding, pausing only to answer nature's call and to refill our waterskins. We arrived back home just before nightfall.

I intended to stop Nourse and demand some answers, but before I could do so, his form was striding away to the mansion. Marduk must be back, then. I should go and talk to him, too. Just as I was starting to head that way, Marcus clapped an arm around my shoulders and invited me to dinner so he could hear all about our grand battle with the wolves. Somehow, that story had already started spreading. Smiling, and clutching my hungry stomach, I followed him to the mess tent, questions for Nourse and Marduk temporarily put out of mind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18 20 10
When the princes of the dead falls in love with a boy, everthing seemed to go just as planned. But when on their wedding day it seemed that she cheat...
849K 4K 6
A woman trapped in slavery with a loveless man. A king standing alone in a cold, prejudiced world. Both have no intention of knowing each other. Both...
28 27 27
Forbidden love. Something seen as wrong to so many people, but also craved by many due to the thrill. However, in this story, this type of love is se...
187 73 37
After years of beating himself for failing to gain the same recognition as his parents, Tyrus, a prince consort, makes a deal to offer to fight in th...