The Red String of Fate

By ThatOneLeviWhore

Growing up together in the Underground, Anya and Levi had been together ever since they could remember. Fate... More

Nightmares and Daydreams
Of Broken Bottles and Broken Promises
The Letter
Their First Time
A Song for You...
Pain
Confrontation
Murderer
How Fate Almost Brought Me to You
Realization
Prelude
The Day I Lost You
The Day I Came Back to You
Lust
Decision
A Visit to the Palace
Sleep
The 104th Cadet Corps
A Week in Shiganshina
Safety
What Can Never Be
Confession
Demands
Their Last Time
Threat
The Morning After
A Night in Hell
Escape
Conformation: The Arrival of The Doctor
A Family Dinner
Revenge
Comfort
Apology
*Bonus update* AU- "What if we were the ones born in Marley?"
For The Boy Who Never Had a Father, and The Man Who Lost His Child.
The Wedding Part I 🔥
The Wedding Part II
His Question & Her Answer
Curse
Marley
Faith in Nathalie
Zeke
From One Universe to Another
Damage Undone
A Suit, A Dress, A Dare
Their Wedding and The Red String
Wedding Night
News
Peanut
Helpless
Silence
DeathBed
A Choice to Make
In the Depths of Despair
A Birth, A Death, and The Unknown
Awake
57. Always with You
A Thank You from the Author!
Epilogue - Dream Come True

Promises

561 20 0
By ThatOneLeviWhore

"So old man, You ready?" Gabi asked as she watched Levi fiddle with his outfit in the mirror, meticulously buttoning and unbuttoning the top two buttons of his black button-down shirt, varying between pushing back his hair or letting it fall to the sides of face, and trying on different jackets until he found the absolute perfect match. He let out a long sigh, examining himself in the mirror while his teenage accomplices sat in awe of the insecurity their mentor was showing to them. "What if she think's I'm ugly now?" He looked at the two teenagers sitting on the couch and touched the scar that ran down the length of his face and stared at the wheelchair he now had to sporadically use "I'm not the same person I used to be".

Gabi let out a chuckle and walked up to her mentor and friend. "Levi, It's going to be fine" she tried her best to have a comforting tone, even though she had no idea what to expect from the day. She noticed that he was starting to tear up, and her instincts guided her to wipe the droplets forming in the corners of his eyes, giving him a compassionate look "You have nothing to be insecure about".

Falco stood up and joined his girlfriend and mentor in front of the mirror, helping Levi to adjust the tie he settled on to be perfectly straight and in lined with the buttons of his shirt. "You know, you never really told us about her..." Falco sounded hesitant, but Levi picked up on the genuine interest in his voice. "Yeah, aside from what was in the letter – we don't know much about her" Gabi spoke up, now obsessing over Falco's outfit looking as nice as her's and Levi's.

"tch. What do you want to know?" Levi's eyes darted away from the pair, subconsciously hoping that they wouldn't ask about anything too painful.

Gabi was the first to speak up – "Well... What was she like?"

Year: 833, Winter

Levi and Furlan looked on from the dark alley as Anya spoke to an older, overweight man who was dressed far too nicely to be from the underground – there was no doubt in her mind when she chose her target that he was no better than the rest of the 'tourists' as they called them, coming from above to do their dirtiest businesses in the underground. Levi and Furlan watched as she faked a giggle and started leading him into the alleyway where they were waiting for their target to be vulnerable. Even though Anya had acted as bait many times before and was walking more than arm's length to the side of the man, he was implicit in trying to make a pass at her – it made Levi's blood boil. Before he knew it, the man hand grabbed Anya arm and was attempting to overpower her. Anya let out a cough followed by a simple sign with her right hand, the signal to Levi and Furlan that she was uncomfortable, and they needed to make a move quicky or she was going to act on her accord. Without a second thought, Levi walked behind the man and held his knife to his throat as Furlan moved to the front of the man.

"Fancy clothes mister. If you don't want them to get stained, hand's off the girl and hand over everything you've got." Furlan while standing on tip-toes to look him in the eye.

"you fucking harlot!" the man hissed in Anya's direction, still not letting go of his grip. Anya reached her free hand to her waistband, and drew her own blade – a small knife, but with an edge as sharp as a razor.

"If you still want to keep that hand, I suggest you let go of me." Her tone shifted from being a sweet, innocent girl to dark, seething with anger and hatred – She moved her blade to the top of his wrist, and he immediately let go.

"Fine!" he huffed, and using the hand that moments ago was on Anya, he fished for his wallet. Once he found it, he handed the entire thing to Furlan – who counted up the money inside.

"That's it?" he asked discontentedly. "Well this just won't do" He smirked, Watching as Anya took off the watch on his wrist and the rings he wore as a symbol of his wealth – one for almost each and every finger. "on second thought, I think with these additional... ahem.. contributions... you have made this worth our while" Furlan smiled as Anya handed everything over to him, drawing her knife to the man's face and caressing it roughly until she reached his mouth, opening it slightly and pressing the blade to his tounge with care.

"Now sir, if you tell anyone what happened here today, this – 'harlot' – as you called her, will not hesitate to make it so you can never speak again" Furlan instructed him, showing off him the ID he removed from the wallet, when suddenly all three realized the man had vacated his bladder on the sidewalk, likely from fear. As disgusted as they were, they knew they couldn't afford to get caught and Furlan sent the man off with only his entry pass to get back to the surface, and a worn leather wallet. The three teenagers used the opportunity of the man crying in the alleyway to get away quickly and navigated their way to a safe place.

"that was fucking disgusting" Anya cried out once they were unable to be seen "what if we had stepped in it?" she gagged out loud, and shuddered.

"well to be fair, you didn't have to go that far" Levi retorted with a grin, reached his hand out for Anya's knife.

"Okay but he put his hands on me" her expression turned cold and vacant while handing off the blade to Levi, locking eyes with him.

"that's my little Harlot" Levi gently nudged the girl while wiping off the blade "for real though, you really do act crazy really well. None of those assholes would ever know that you cry when you have to squish a spider" he met her eyes and smiled before looking at Furlan. "So how much did we get anyway?"

"enough" Furlan responded, recounting the cash in his hands "but we should probably wait a few weeks before pawning that jewelry". As Furlan turned around, out of the corner of his eye he caught Levi pulling Anya into his lap and planting a gentle kiss on her cheek.

"Are you okay? Did he hurt you?" Levi asked while thoroughly examining Anya's arm, softly caressing the skin.

Anya looked down, feeling her face get hot as she was blushing at his touch. She still hadn't gotten used to the idea that Levi was hers. They hadn't been together long, just a few weeks, but the shift in their relationship was clear not only to them but to everyone around them. The feelings Anya thought had been unrequited for as long as she could remember turned out to be shared, and she couldn't have been happier. "I'm fine, I promise" She reassured him, and planted a soft kiss on his forehead that made him blush.

"good, if anything ever happened to you, I don't know what I would do" Levi whispered in her ear, moving his forehead to hers and staring affectionately in each other's eyes.

"my god you two" Furlan huffed "are you forgetting you are thirteen?"

"are you forgetting you're fifteen?" Anya looked up with a sly tone in her voice as she rubed her arm, knowing Furlan hated that he was the oldest in the group because it made him feel responsible for their care, their actions, and their injuries.

"or are you forgetting that we've known each other since before we could even walk?" Levi piped up

"or are you forgetting that you are actively *fucking* my cousin?" Anya added

Furlan looked down with shame, his blonde hair getting in his eyes. "Fine. Lets go drop Anya off" he suggested, and started walking towards Anya's house.

"I think we're going to stay here a while" Levi suggested, pulling Anya close to him while she nodded, looking up through the sewer grates at the moon and stars.

"they're so pretty" she mused, looking up at the glittering landscape above her, obscured by metal, wood, and ceilings of dirt.

"You're prettier" Levi quipped back, cupping her face with one hand while the other held tightly onto her waist.

Year: 835, Early Summer.

"Do you think she's even coming tonight?" Furlan asked, staring up at Anya's bedroom window

"Of course she is" Levi sighed as he looked up, waiting to see Anya's shilouette climb out of the window like it did every night "but I have something to show you before she gets here" Levi reached into his pocket, and pulled out a small black box.

"Wow, ok, you guys have only been together two years" Furlan was shocked, and he couldn't admit to himself that he was also a little scared of losing his two best friends and becoming even more of a third wheel than he already was and had been for as long as he could remember.

"Two years, 6 months, and 4 days" Levi rebuffed coldly "besides its not an engagement ring"

"Oh? Then pray tell... what is it?" Furlan questions his younger friend, unsure of how to react. On the one hand, he knew something like this had to be coming. Anya was having a hard time at home – though neither Levi or Anya would tell him why, and she was spending most night's curled up in bed with Levi instead of going home, being met in the morning by her furious uncle coming to the door of the boys home – where Levi & Anya would argue with him until either he left, or Anya gave in and went home leaving Levi distraught and worried – unable to tell his best friend why.

"It's a promise ring" Levi responded with a smile "I'm so in love with her..." he trailed off, the dim moonlight illuminating his smile. "One day we are going to get married and own a little shop somewhere above ground. One day I'm going to make her my wife and we'll have a bunch of kids... But for now, this is a promise that I will, one day, get us all out of here and ask her to marry me". Levi gently opened the box, revealing a small gold band that had an infinity sign with 'A&L' carved into it. Levi smiled as he looked down at the ring before closing the box and putting it back in his pocket.

"A... promise ring?" Furlan sounded confused and let out an airy laugh. "You two are precious" he smiled, genuinely happy for his friends. "Isn't it still a little... Cliché?" he asked, although he couldn't imagine a more perfect couple and was jealous that even in this hell hole they somehow managed to find each other. Furlan looked back up at the window to see Anya expertly sneaking out of the window, using a tree for leverage and to climb down safely.

Levi practically ran up to her, inspecting her for injuries while she laughed and assured him she was fine. He planted a soft kiss on her cheek and held her as tight as he could "I promise you, I will get you out of there".

Anya looked up at him with a soft smile and pressed their lips together, pulling away quickly to whisper in his ear "I love you Levi"

"I love you too, Anya"

The three of them walked around the city and back to the apartment Levi and Furlan had been living in since Kenny abandoned Levi. While they walked, Levi and Anya's finger's intertwined with each others, fingertips occasionally caressing the other's hand. As they walked the stairs up to the boys home, Levi asked Furlan to go ahead without them.

"What? Why? I thought we were gonna make food" Anya inquired with concern heavy in her voice.

"tch, is it so wrong for a guy to want to spend time with his girlfriend?" Levi asked, squeezing Anya's hand a little tighter and pulling her close to him. Furlan took this as a sign to leave them alone and sighed as he walked into the apartment alone yet again.

"What's going on? Is everything okay?" Anya looked worried, and cupped Levi's face with her hands.

"I just can't take knowing what your shitty uncle makes you do..." Levi moved to wrap his arms around Anya, and breathed her freshly showered scent in. "He hurts you."

Anya looked down with defeat. "I... I mean... it could be worse. He doesn't... touch me. I ... I told you... He just.. makes me..." She stuttered, a visceral reaction growing in her stomach. "While he... you know..."

Levi kissed her neck softly, bringing his voice down to a growled whisper. "I'll kill him. Say the word and I'll fucking kill him"

Anya knew she had to stand her ground, knowing that if something happened Levi would be caught in no time, especially given his growing reputation – the Military Police would do anything to add something else to his rap sheet. "No. I don't want you getting in trouble."

Levi moved his head from leaning on her and looked straight into her eyes with a dead seriousness. Her eyes were soft, and he couldn't hold back anymore – "Then... run away with me." The seriousness in his voice was clear to Anya, and a wave of happiness flowed through her before reality hit her.

"We're too young" She insisted with a defeated tone in her voice.

"yes but..." Levi searched his pocket for the box and held it tight in his hands. "we could leave as soon as we have the money..." he fiddled with the box for a moment, debating on if it was the right time. "no one will question us if we go to a poorer town..." he lifted his hand with the box and opened it, slipping out the ring expertly.

"Okay, but how? You have to be sixteen to buy citizenship, and we're fifteen." Although her birthday was first and soon at that, his was at the very end of the year- nearly 6 months in the future. Suddenly, she felt metal glide across her left ring finger.

"We won't be fifteen forever..." Levi responded, his voice shaking as he brought her left hand up to his face, kissing the ring he slipped onto her finger.

Anya was shocked, and she felt tears leave her eyes and wet her face. "Aren't you supposed to ask?" she said with a laugh

"I'm not asking. I'm telling you. I'm making you a promise that I will get us out of here somehow, and when we do I'll ask you properly." Levi continued to kiss Anya's hand, making a mental note of how soft her hands were, and how they somehow smelled nice. "We'll get married, and we'll buy a house, and we'll open a shop where I can make tea and you can bake pastries, and we'll have a bunch of kids who will never have to hurt like we have" Anya couldn't contain her happiness and pulled Levi in for a passion filled kiss. Neither of them wanted to break away, but Levi managed to first. The seriousness returned to his voice. "Anya, come live with me and Furlan. I'll pay off your uncle."

Anya was confused and didn't quite understand how she would even manage to leave the abusive household she grew up in – one where every day she was subjected to physical, emotional, and sexual abuse at the hands of her deceased mother's brother. "What? Are you serious? You think he'd let me go before I'm of age?" She was genuinely curious, although she didn't believe for a moment that the evil man who was her caregiver would let her go before she was, legally at least, an adult.

Levi nodded. "Everyone has a price. We just have to find his."

Gabi had tears in her eyes as Levi recounted his promise to Anya, as Falco held her hand tightly – staring down at the ring he had given Gabi only weeks before in honor of his own promise to her. "that's so sad!" Gabi wailed, pulling Falco in closely. "Don't you ever fucking leave my side!" she screamed at him through the tears, and Falco smiled at his eccentric girlfriend. "I'm not planning on it" he said with a hushed laugh he immediately regretted.

"I didn't choose to leave her behind" Levi growled at the pair "until the other day I didn't even know she was still alive. I thought she was dead. I thought that bastard killed her." He looked down at the wheelchair he was going to have to sit in for trip with disgust but sighed and put on his jacket before sitting in it and motioned for Falco to push him. "I wouldn't have chosen being away from her for anything in the world. Even if it meant staying in that shithole." He admitted to the teenagers who had become close to him, but also to himself for the first time.

Both Gabi and Falco felt instantly bad for their behavior, and Falco placed his hand on Levi's shoulder. "I cannot imagine how painful that must have been"

"Uhm hey, boys, don't forget - You're getting a second chance" Gabi piped up, smiling and pulling on her sweater and walking towards the door "Now let's go meet this mysterious, lovely Anya."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.1K 305 50
Merciana Sheehan knew she was born from the Underground, but her entire childhood was a blur. After graduating from the Cadet Core and joining th...
295K 10.3K 33
{Levi x Reader} {Trilogy: Pt 1} I lived within so many barricades; the physical wall that barred me from the unknown, outside world...the social wal...
12.5K 220 63
(This fanfiction is being rewritten on a separate fic because of bad writing and story.) I'm a girl who just wanted revenge, with a secret past. He's...
838 42 19
[Levi Ackerman x Reader] They were separated by loss and were brought back together by fate. One a wounded girl with a hardened heart; the other a ma...