Arthur's Sons (Book 1)

Galing kay Svetocha_vampire

What if Merlin was born female(Merlyn) and she and Arthur met a few years before Camelot and after a night to... Higit pa

Prologue
A Fallen Angel
Summer Dreams
Till We Meet Again
Children of the Sun and Moon
The Dragon's Call (Part 1)
The Dragon's Call (Part 2)
The Dragon's Call (Part 3)
Valiant (Part 1)
Valiant (Part 2)
Valiant (Part 3)
The Mark of Nimueh (Part 1)
The Mark of Nimueh (Part 2)
The Mark of Nimueh (Part 3)
The Poisoned Chalice (Part 1)
The Poisoned Chalice (Part 2)
The Poisoned Chalice (Part 3)
Lancelot (Part 1)
Lancelot (Part 2)
Lancelot (Part 3)
A Remedy to Cure All Ills (Part 1)
A Remedy to Cure All Ills (Part 2)
A Remedy to Cure All Ills (Part 3)
The Gates of Avalon (Part 1)
The Gates of Avalon (Part 2)
The Gates of Avalon (Part 3)
The Beginning of the End (Part 1)
The Beginning of the End (Part 2)
The Beginning of the End (Part 3)
Excalibur (Part 1)
Excalibur (Part 2)
Excalibur (Part 3)
The Moment of Truth (Part 1)
The Moment of Truth (Part 2)
The Moment of Truth (Part 3)
The Labyrinth of Gedref (Part 1)
The Labyrinth of Gedref (Part 2)
The Labyrinth of Gedref (Part 3)
Summer Solstice (Part 1)
Summer Solstice (Part 2)
Summer Solstice (Part 3)
To Kill the King (Part 1)
To Kill the King (Part 2)
To Kill the King (Part 3)
Le Morte d'Arthur (Part 1)
Le Morte d'Arthur (Part 3)

Le Morte d'Arthur (Part 2)

1.3K 38 3
Galing kay Svetocha_vampire

Once she had the tip from the dragon Merlyn ran back to the Physician's chambers and for the second time that day nearly gave Gaius a heart attack.

"Gods Merlyn do you ever come through a door quietly?" Gaius chastised while holding his chest. Merlyn ignores him and runs to her room grabbing her bag she keeps packed for if she needs to leave in a hurry noticing that Arty was no longer in bed. She came back to the main room and grabbed as much food as she could carry.

Gaius sighed before handing her a bottle. "Merlyn, I need your help. You must get this to Arthur to ease his passing." He told her sadly and Merlyn glared at him

"No. We have to save him." She said putting the bottle on the table and closing her bag.

"You've already tried." He said gently.

"The beast comes from the Old Religion. The cure must come from there as well." Merlyn began pulling the bag over her shoulder and picking up the bow and quiver Arthur had gifted her before continuing. "The dragon told me that the Old Religion is still alive, and there is an island beyond the White Mountains..."

"No!" Gaius cried grabbing her arms stopping her.

"The Isle of the Blessed...You know it?" Merlyn asked curiously.

Gaius sighed and took a step back fixing her with a sad gaze. "It was said to be the centre of the Old Religion, the focus of its power."

"Why did you keep this from me?" Merlyn growled.

"Because it was too dangerous, Merlyn."

"It's our only chance! I have to find it!" Merlyn cried feeling the stress of the day beginning to catch up.

"And once you are there, what will you ask?" Gaius asked her seriously.

Merlyn met his gaze, standing tall. "For Arthur to be saved." 

"The Questing Beast chose Arthur. That means the Old Religion has decided his fate."

"Then I will convince them to change their minds!" She barked furiously before turning to the door.

"It is not that simple! The High Priests have the power to mirror life and death, but there will be a price to pay. They will demand a life in return. Merlyn, please, I beg of you." Gaius begged as she stood before the door with her hand on the handle

Merlyn sighed before looking to Gaius; her face set with determination and grim resolve. "I'm sorry, Gaius. Whatever the price is, I will pay it gladly."

---

Merlyn decided to check Arthur before she left and was pleasantly surprised to find the twins curled up on either side of him on the bed, she entered quietly and left her bag and weapons by the door before going and sitting by her fiance's side and taking his hand in hers. She tenderly kissed the gold dragon ring on his hand and gently brushed his damp hair from his sweaty brow.

"He's not gonna make it, is he?" Arty's voice was thick from crying and Merlyn quickly pulled him to her as he burst into tears.

"Shh, my love. Everything is going to be okay, the dragon gave me a way to save him." She whispered into his hair, slowly Arty's sobs turned into small hiccups and he pulled back to speak to her.

"How?" 

Merlyn studied her son for a moment before smiling gently. "I'm going to the Isle of the Blessed to ask the gods to save him." Merlyn didn't like lying to her children but she didn't want to worry them.

"I'm coming with you." Rowan spoke from where he sat on Arthur's other side.

Merlyn shook her head. "No, my son. I need you to stay here, it's too dangerous."

"I know who you will face at the Isle, I'm coming." Rowan said with cold finality before hopping off the bed and leaving the room without another word. Merlyn sighed heavily and wiped her tears away before turning to Arthur's sickly form panting on the bed.

"I will save you, no matter the cost." She promised him before leaning over to kiss his brow and stroke his cheek. "You're not going to die, Arthur. I'm telling you. Because I know that one day you will be King. A greater king than your father could ever be. It's what keeps me going. You are going to live to be the man I've seen inside you, Arthur. I can see a Camelot that is fair and just. I can see a king that the people will love and be proud to call their sovereign. For the love of Camelot, you have to live. Just hang on for me, for our children... I love you." She whispered as her cool tears fall on his scorched brow. Merlyn slowly rose from the bed, her ribs still bothering her. 

"Watch over him." She told her eldest who nodded dutifully before curling against his father's side like a dragon protecting its hoard and bidding her a safe journey. 

Merlyn gathered her things and hurried down to the stables meeting Rowan who had gone to pack for himself and was just getting his pony from its stall, Merlyn followed suit and tacked up her mare quickly and secured her bags and weapons. Gaius approached hesitantly and held out a small package.

"Here."Gaius hands Merlyn rolled parchment.

"You'll need a map. And I'm going to give you this. My mother gave it to me." He told her with a fond smile. 

Merlyn unwraps the tiny package. "It's a rabbit's foot." She says confused.

"To keep you safe." Gaius tells her and Merlyn smiles faintly. "It was said to protect you from evil spirits. It's rubbish. I don't believe in superstition. I don't know why I gave it to you." Gaius rambles nervously and reaches to take it back but Merlyn clutches it to her chest.

"No. I want it. Thank you." She tells him kindly before sighing and looking toward Arthur's chambers. "You've got to keep Arthur alive until I get back." Gaius nods dutifully and Merlyn hugs him fiercely before mounting up and sending him one last smile, kicked her mare into a trot with Rowan following looking grim.

Gaius was sat asleep in the chair by the Prince's bed when Gwen came in to relieve him, Arty was still laying by his father's side and was sharing his magic to keep his body stable unbeknownst to the others. Gwen changed the cloth on Arthur's forehead cooling him slightly when Arty woke.

"Aunty Gwen?" He asked groggily.

"You should go to your own bed Arty, get some rest. I'll watch him." Gwen told him gently but Arty quickly shook his head.

"I promised to watch over him until Mother returns with a cure." He replied placing his father's hand in his lap and stroking it comfortingly. 

"You need to rest Arty or you'll burn yourself out and make everyone worry." Gwen tried but Arty fixed her with a cold stare making him look every inch the Prince's son.

"I will not... Cannot leave his side till Mother comes back." Gwen stared dumbfounded at the young child before sighing gently and leaning back into the chair to start her vigil. It wasn't long before Arty tucked himself against the Prince's side and lay his head on his good shoulder and resumed to feed him his magic to help combat the Questing Beast's poison.

---

Merlyn and Rowan ride through the countryside passed the White Mountains through the Valley of the Fallen Kings then headed north of the Great Seas of Meredor until they reached a lake with an old fortress ruin sat atop an island at its centre. They quickly dismounted their tired steeds and left them to wander and rest, Merlyn knew better than to take weapons onto the Isle so left her bow and approached the small boat at the lakeshore. 

They quickly climbed in and Merlyn muttered a spell propelling the boat forward toward the ruins. Rowan looked over the edge into the water and could feel the souls of the dead whispering from its depths and shivered slightly before blocking out their whispers lest they pull him down with them. The boat stops by a side entrance and both climb out prepared to fight if necessary and slip inside. They walk into the heart of the fortress where the pulse of magic was strongest to find an open area with an altar and no one around.

"Hello?" Merlyn called after a moment.

A familiar blue-eyed sorceress steps out from behind a pillar with a self-satisfied smirk. "Hello, Merlyn." She grinned then looked down to Rowan and sneered. "And Daemati."

"You." Rowan snarled, eyes turning sliver as he raised his hands.

"Do you know who I am?" The priestess asked cockily and Merlyn stepped forward holding her arm out gesturing for Rowan to stop.

Rowan lowered his hands but his eyes remained silver and Merlyn turned to the dark-haired sorceress. "Nimueh. You can't be who the dragon meant."

"And why is that?" She asked cocking her head like a predator. 

"You tried to kill me, my children and Arthur!" Merlyn growled eyes flashing dangerously.

"Before I understood your importance." She replied aloof while slowly stalking forward. "Arthur was never destined to die at my hand, and now it seems I will be his salvation." Nimueh smirked.

Merlyn took a deep breath and school her face into cool neutrality. "So you know what I've come to ask?"

"Yes."

"Will you do it?" Merlyn asked raising her brow in challenge.

"I do not have the power to mirror life itself and yet give nothing in return." She warned Merlyn.

Merlyn nodded. "I know that a price will be asked."

"To save a life, there must be a death. The balance of the world must be restored." Nimueh told her; a flicker of pain and regret flashed across her face before it was gone and replaced with the cool, aloof mask of the high priestess.

Merlyn took a deep breath then stood tall and unafraid. "I willingly give my life for Arthur's."

"No! Mother you can't!" Rowan cried grabbing her hand in panic.

"How brave you are, Merlyn. If only it were that simple." Nimueh sighed dramatically.

Merlyn turned from her panicked son and raised her brow in a way that would make Gaius proud. "What do you mean?"

"Once you enter into this bargain, it cannot be undone." Nimueh warned her seriously.

"No! Mother, please! We can't lose you too! Please..." Rowan begged tears beginning to run down his pale skin, Merlyn knelt and pulled her son to her chest as he sobbed and gently ran her fingers through his soft raven hair. She didn't want to leave her children but she knew that alone she couldn't return magic to the land for it was Arthur destiny, not hers. 

Once her son calmed she pulled back and gently wiped away his tears before giving him a motherly smile. "Listen, you and your brother have your whole lives ahead of you and I know that even if I'm gone your Father, Gaius and Gwen will look after you and that you will be able to unite the land of Albion in my place." Rowan's lip wobbled as she spoke and she gently placed her hand on his cheek in comfort before continuing. "You all need to live and if I am to give my life here to make that happen, I will do so gladly but you must promise me you will stay together and don't let this sacrifice be in vain." Rowan teared up again and grimaced as he struggled to hold the tears in. "Promise me." Merlyn whispered and Rowan leapt back into her arms.

"I promise." He whispered in her ear his voice choked with tears. They broke apart after a moment and Merlyn kissed his brow tenderly before smiling and nodding, Rowan repeated the action and took a step back while Merlyn stood turning to the High Priestess determined.

"Whatever I have to do, I will do. His life is worth a hundred of mine."

Nimueh smiled cruelly before waving her arm and suddenly she was holding a golden chalice. "The Cup of Life, blessed by centuries of powerful sorcerers so that it contains the very secret of life itself. If Arthur drinks water from the Cup, he will live." Merlyn hesitantly takes the cup and upon contact can feel the ancient magic flowing through it.

Nimueh steps back and raises her arms to the sky." Tídrénas." The sky darkens as Nimueh makes it rain on Merlyn for a moment allowing her to collect the water in the Cup. Nimueh takes the Cup and pours the water into a small, decorative canteen before holding it out to Merlyn.

"The bargain is struck. I hope it pleases you." Nimueh states with a wicked smile.

Merlyn pauses as she says this suddenly suspicious. "This better affect me and me alone, anyone else gets hurt and I will be back to take your life in exchange." Merlyn threatens her and for a moment her smile wavers as Merlyn lets her eyes burn gold brighter than any sorcerer to come before her.

"Of course." Nimueh replies with a slight bow. With that, Merlyn quickly turns and leaves, her son trailing heartbroken. They race back to Camelot and pray to any gods listening that Arthur still drew breath.

They raced back into Camelot in the grey of the early morning having ridden all night, Merlyn practically threw herself from her horse and politely asked the stable hands to care for the horses before racing into the castle with Rowan struggling to keep up. Merlyn blew passed the surprised guards and barreled into the Prince's chambers startling Gaius from where he was asleep in the armchair, Arty was also awoken and lit up in a hopeful smile.

"Your back! Did you get it?" He asked and Merlyn nodded before rushing to Arthur's bedside.

"We need to give this to Arthur." Merlyn said as she hands Gaius the decorative canteen and moves onto the bed lifting Arthur into her lap so it could be administered. 

"What is it?" Gaius asks looking at the canteen like it was going to bite him.

"Water drawn from the Cup of Life. If Arthur drinks from it, he will recover. Please hurry." Merlyn begged.

"What price did you pay to redeem his life? Whose life did you bargain?!" Gaius barked and Merlyn sighed before glaring at the physician. 

"We don't have time." She ground out.

"Merlyn!" Gaius cried but suddenly the vial was snatched from Gaius's hand by Arty who, without a word, opened his father's mouth and poured the contents in his mouth while rubbing his throat gently to coax him to swallow.

"What are you doing, Boy? What are you giving him?" A voice from the door asked, they all looked up to find an exhausted king watching them with quiet hope.

"It's a... It's a tincture made from the lobelia plant, an ancient remedy for poisonous bites." Gaius explained quickly and Uther looked hopeful.

"A cure?"

"We hope." Gaius smiled back tightly.

Uther came over to the bed and Merlyn gently moved Arthur to lie back down before stepping back to let the King stroke his son's forehead tenderly."Do you really think it will have some effect?" He asked looking to the physician.

"It's our last resort, Sire. Perhaps you should allow him to rest." Gaius suggested.

I'll stay with him My lord, you get some rest." Merlyn politely suggested and the King studied her for a moment before nodding and leaving. Once he was gone Gaius looked at Merlyn who was smiling faintly before she sat in the armchair while Arty climbed back on the bed and curled against Arthur's left side resting his head on his belly while Rowan curled up on Arthur's right tucking himself into his father's shoulder.

"Merlyn, what was the price?" Gaius asked quietly.

Merlyn looked up at Gaius with a sad smile before looking to Arthur; reaching out to brush his hair back from his brow which was already cooling. "You already know the answer, Gaius." She replied softly as a tear slipped from her eye. Gaius drew in a shaky breath, holding in his tears before turning and leaving the family alone together.

---

Arthur felt groggy like he'd been at the heavy wine at a feast as he slowly rose back to consciousness, he blinked back the light to see the candles in the room burning low and felt a weight on his belly as well as warmth by his left side. Arthur lifted his head and was met with the sight of his children curled up around him protectively breathing quietly as they slept, blinking back tears of joy he looked around and saw the love of his life in the armchair by his bed asleep leaning on her right arm where he could see the silver ring twinkling in the candlelight. He smiled faintly but then noticed the near-black circles under her eyes which were also reflected on his children, they all looked exhausted and Arthur couldn't help but feel guilty that they had been worrying over him so.

He felt his eldest shift in his sleep and looked down to see the frown on his sleeping face, he kept muttering something under his breath seemingly distressed and Arthur gently reached down and ran his fingers through his golden hair soothingly. Arty's face relaxed a little before he took a deep breath and his electric blue eyes fluttered open locking with Arthur's cornflower blue ones. Arthur smiled at his son and he sat up gasping startling his brother before launching himself at Arthur and pulling him into a bone-crushing hug.

"Father! You're awake!" Arty cried as he clutched his father, Rowan snapped out of his daze and hugged him being to cry quietly. Arthur clutched them both breathing in their scents and soothing them gently. Merlyn had been scared awake by the ruckus and looked to see Arthur sitting up comforting their children who were crying in relief and hugging him tight enough to break ribs. Merlyn let out a breath of relief before standing stiffly and going to the door and calling over the guard.

"The Prince is awake, tell the King and Gaius." The guard grinned and nodded before rushing off.

Merlyn shut the door and leant against it watching Arthur and the boys who were looking at her with faint smiles, Arty and Rowan grinned at each other before shuffling away from Arthur who opened his arms in silent invitation. Merlyn choaked out a sob before rushing forward and collapsing into her Prince's arms and bursting into tears.

"You idiot! Why did you try to face the beast after I told you not to." She cried against his chest while Arthur gently stroked her hair and whispered sweet nothing trying to calm her down.

"I'm sorry My love. I'm so sorry." He murmured before lifting her chin and kissing her soundly.

"If you ever do that to me again, I'll turn you into a newt." She scolded him and Arthur chuckled before wiping away her tears. Footsteps sounded in the corridor and Merlyn scrambled back just as the King burst through the door and hesitated only a moment before rushing to his son's side and hugging him awkwardly.

"I thought we'd lost you." The king whispers before pulling back.

Arthur huffed a laugh."Don't worry, Father, I'm not going to die." He locked eyes with Merlyn and smiled faintly. "I think there's someone watching over me, keeping me from harm."

"Maybe you're right. On your long journey to become King, you will need a guardian angel. I shall inform the court that their Prince lives." He said pat Arthur on the shoulder with a big grin before moving out of the room. Gaius entered after him and checked Arthur over making sure he was improving before leaving a fresh bandage and poultice for Arty to re-dress his wounds.

Merlyn sat on his good side and held his hand stroking it lovingly while Arty carefully removed the bloodied bandage and Rowan held the items for his brother. Arthur turned to Merlyn while the boys worked and smiled bringing her hand up and kissing it.

"I can remember you talking to me." Arthur told her and Merlyn smiled.

"Oh really?"

"You kissed my forehead." He smirked and Merlyn laughed.

"You have no proof." She teased back and Arty smiled secretly but didn't interrupt.

Arthur chuckled before wincing as Arty applied the poultice. "I remember... you said something about "the man I am inside."

Merlyn chuckled and raise her brow playfully. "Did I now?"

"You also said that something about how I will be a great king." Arthur said bashfully and Merlyn fixed him with a serious expression.

"That opinion is one that will never change, you are a great man Arthur, even though you can be a prat sometimes, I believe that you will be the greatest king Camelot has ever known and your rule will be remembered for centuries to come." Arthur stared at her dumbfounded by the intense loyalty and belief she placed in him and something in him was afraid of disappointing her.

"Mother is right, even if I were to become king after you I don't think I could ever hold a candle to you." Arty told him truthfully while finishing the bandage. 

Arthur turned to his son and smiled softly before ruffling his hair. "You don't need to follow in my footsteps, just be yourself and when the time comes, rule your way and no one else's." Arty smiled brightly at that while Rowan chuckled.

"Don't worry I'll be there to stop you getting a big head, brother mine." Rowan grinned before pulling his brother into a headlock and playfully knuckled his brothers head causing him to growl and grumble while everyone laughed.

"I best be going, I don't think I've slept properly in three days or eaten for that matter." Merlyn sighed tiredly before standing, Arthur reached out and grabbed her hand halting her.

"I love you too bye the way." He said with a wink and Merlyn flushed before smiling, leaning down and kissing him tenderly. The children bid their father goodnight and the three left smiling in relief though two of them had heavy hearts and a cold sense of foreboding looming over their heads.

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

534K 15.4K 129
When Merlin ventured back to Ealdor to help fight off Kanen, he returned to Camelot with someone else, his little sister, Miriam. With a fiery perso...
79.8K 3.2K 64
What will the future bring for the young couple? As they defy the norms and fight back. As friendships and loyalties are tested and they are pushed t...
332 29 28
Tia and her sister Kira have always dreamed of adventure. When their best friend Jocelyn gets the opportunity to go to Camelot to train with Prince A...
102K 2.1K 160
20 year old Ariella Morgenstern lost her mother to an evil sorcerer when she was just seven years old, and has had some pain in her heart since, thou...