Outsider Syndrome | ✓

By Mistyped_

(A Reverse Harem) Due to her above-average height, Shiina Kisaragi lives as the constant object of ridicule... More

- Outsider Syndrome -
- Aesthetics & Playlist -
Chapter 1 - "Let Us Welcome Beanstalk Shiina"
Chapter 2 - "The Childish Idol Rin-Rin"
Chapter 3 - "Both Tall and Sweet Kamakiri"
Chapter 4 - "Unbearably Similar Igarashi"
Chapter 5 - "Hot and Cold Keiko"
Chapter 6 - "Magical Witch Mao"
Chapter 7 - "Happy-Go-Lucky Hachiko"
Chapter 8 - "Kind and Cheerful Chie"
Chapter 9 (1) - "Ripped and Dishevelled Companions"
Chapter 9 (2) - "Far From Heartless Zombie"
Chapter 10 - "Meant to be Alone"
Chapter 11 - "Two Hopeless Dorks"
Chapter 12 - "The Sensitive Narumi"
Chapter 13 - "Athletic Genius Kiharu"
Chapter 14 - "Heavenly Upperclassman Hanai"
Chapter 15 (1) - "Let Your Music Be Heard"
Chapter 15 (2) - "Inside Identity"
Chapter 16 - "A Beautician Named Banri"
Chapter 17 - "Beautiful World"
Chapter 18 - "Legendary Stylist Noir"
Chapter 19 - "Did My Heart Love Till Now?" ft. Issei
Chapter 20 - "All the World's a Stage"
Chapter 21 - "Let Us Take Up Arms and Emerge Victorious"
Chapter 22 - "Demon Troll Akagi"
Chapter 23 - "A Selfish Wish"
Chapter 24 - "Starlight With You"
Chapter 25 - "Irretrievable Words"
Chapter 26 - "I Wish You A Very Intimate Night"
Chapter 27 - "Morning Cuddles"
Chapter 28 - "It's Panda-monium!"
Chapter 29 - "Forget Me Not Hug"
Bonus - "Tomato Cheeks"
Chapter 30 (1) - "Let's See Tomorrow Together"
Chapter 30 (2) - "What It Means To Live"
Bonus 2 - "Puzzling Feelings"
Chapter 31 - "I Want To Be With You"
Chapter 32 - "Cute and Petite Tsumugi"
Chapter 34 (1) - "Celebrity Buzz"
Chapter 34 (2) - "Precious"
Chapter 35 - "Hopelessly and Utterly"
Chapter 36 - "The Only One For Me"
Chapter 37 - "My Heart Calls For Love"
Chapter 38 - "Two Halves of a Whole"
Chapter 39 - "You're Supposed To Say Yes"
Chapter 40 - "Into the Future"
- Ending Details -
Kamakiri Ending - "What Sprouted From Complication"
Banri Ending - "From Now On, Always"
Issei Ending - "Heart Thief"
Narumi Ending - "Never Let Go"
Rin Ending - "Dearest, Truest"
Hachiko Ending - "It's You"
Leon Ending - "Did You Feel the Magic?"
Toru Ending - "From Beginning to End"
- Thanks For Reading! -
- Important Announcement! -

Chapter 33 - "Boy Friend, Girl Friend"

309 31 26
By Mistyped_

"Shii?" Rin-Rin called.

Mutely, I dashed past the gaping boys crowding the doorway and ducked behind Upperclassman Issei's large body. I was blushing wildly as I squatted, ruffling my hair like a maniac.

What was going on?

Rin-Rin came home, hugged me. . . then we kissed? Why? What was I missing?

A dream? All of this had to be a—

"You have a lot of guests over today," Rin-Rin noted, filled with childlike innocence. "Is there a party going on? I love parties!"

Brightening at the array of sweets lining the coffee table, he scooped one up.

"The hell are you?" Kamakiri demanded.

"Rin Mizota," he responded, cheeks full of a cupcake.

"Not your name!" He was fuming. "What's your relationship with Kisaragi?"

"Shii?" Blinking, Rin-Rin angled his head. "She's my girlfriend."

Another sweep of gasps pervaded the room.

I thought my heart would fail on me.

"Kisa!" Banri shouted so loud it pierced an eardrum. "Kitchen! Now!"

With the exception of Rin-Rin, we all scrambled inside.

"Y-you're taken?" Upperclassman Issei demanded.

"And you didn't tell us?" Kamakiri continued angrily.

"This can't be real! Not my Kisa!" Banri was having an existential crisis.

My mouth flapped for words but I ended up blushing more. "W-we're not!"

"He literally called you his girlfriend," Igarashi snapped.

"Rin-Rin is my childhood friend! That's all we've ever been! This doesn't make any sense."

"Shiina," Hachi called, flailing his hands before my eyes.

"Kisaragi," Naru added, seeing how out of it I was.

"Why are you looking more confused than the rest of us?" Igarashi asked.

"Because I seriously am!"

"You started dating him and you didn't even notice?"

"I-I mean, he did sent me update texts every day without fail and always called me whenever he could."

"And?"

"He sometimes would tell me he loves me and wants to see me—but I thought he was being platonic!"

"She's hopeless," Kamakiri deadpanned.

"Well, even if you don't remember dating him, he's out there convinced you're his." Igarashi shoved me forward. "Go tell him off."

The others nodded vehemently in agreement.

I was back in the living room, their glares fixed on Rin-Rin in the distance, before I could come to terms with it.

"Shii, you have a weird bunch of friends," Rin-Rin murmured once I stiffly arrived at his side. "You told me about them, but I didn't expect this."

"Rin-Rin."

"Sorry." He patted the top of my head, stunning me speechless. "Showing up out of the blue like that must've shocked you, huh? But, the entire time I was away, I missed you so much. We could only call or text but all I wanted was to be together. It was so hard, listening to your struggles and not even being there in person to console you. Having all these great experiences and not having my favourite girl by my side to celebrate with. All these emotions overwhelmed me when we talked the other day and I ended up hopping on the first flight I could. Practically ran here after stopping by my house first, too."

"It's fine," I told him. "Like I told you, I wanted to be there for you too. When things were tough, or exciting, I wanted you here like always. But. . ."

"But?"

I darted my gaze. Their watchful stares from the kitchen were boring holes into my back.

"Why did you kiss me?"

"Why?" he asked. "Because Shii is adorable?"

My lip quivered. He recoiled.

"Don't tell me. . . you didn't like it? We've only been apart for a couple of months, but have you already come to hate me?"

"No, definitely not! Just. . . I kind of. . . forgot how we got together. You remember, don't you?"

"Of course I do! It was the happiest day of my life!" Rin-Rin said. "The day before I left for my tour, you came to visit. I'd been trying to confess my feelings to you for years and didn't want to leave without telling you how much you mean to me. Though, right before I could, you took me by the arm and confessed first!"

I. . . confessed first? No. No way.

My mind rolled back to that night.

"Shii!"

"What's wrong, Rin-Rin?" I had demanded. "You're bright red. Are you sick?"

"You could. . . think of it as a sickness. A terrible illness that's plagued me for years."

"H-how come I didn't hear about this? Are you all right? Will you be fine for your tour?"

A film of tears enveloped his eyes. "How can someone be so sweet? I'm going to miss you so much Shii."

"Please don't cry, Rin-Rin. Your dream is finally coming true!"

"But Shii won't be with me. I-I need Shii."

"Rin-Rin. . ."

"The reason I got this far, the reason I could keep singing and performing—score this tour—it's all because of Shii. Just by having you with me, I could give it my all."

Tearing up, I took his hand in mine. "Dummy, it's the same for me."

"Huh?"

"I've done nothing worthy of that praise. You worked so hard to get here and I'm so proud of you for that. I love you, Rin-Rin. That's why you have to do this with your head held high."

"You. . . do? You love me?"

"Of course! Why do you have to ask now?"

He flushed harder. "I-I. . . love Shii, too. I love you so, so, so much. I've loved you for years."

His passionate confession left me stupefied. He brought me into a tight hug.

"Sorry. I've let you see my pathetic side again." He reeled back to scan my face. "But I'll become the biggest and brightest star for you, Shii. I'll do my best to become a man worthy of your love."

"Rin-Rin. . ."

"I won't make this distance pull us apart. I'll come back and take responsibility for stealing your heart. I'll be the best boyfriend you've ever had so please wait for me."

My jaw dropped.

I'd interpreted it with a space.

Boy friend, not boyfriend.

Holy shit. How did I not realize what happened after such a soap opera worthy confession between us?

"This guy's an idiot," I heard Igarashi whisper.

"She was being completely platonic," Banri agreed.

Upperclassman Issei was sniffling. "Poor Rin. If Kisaragi said that to me, I'd probably get the wrong idea too."

I flushed heavily at their words. Rin-Rin, oblivious to their significance, still had his focus on me.

"Shii, are you not happy to see me?"

"Of course I am."

I just didn't expect this whole boy friend, girl friend mishap!

Without warning, his hands fastened around my waist, drawing me close. Despite his juvenile personality, Rin-Rin's face had certainly grown more mature while he was gone. He was taller, and his body was sturdier too—I bet he had a full set of abs.

"You haven't had short hair since we were kids," he said. "You're so pretty."

My breath hitched in my throat, heat swelling my cheeks.

He chuckled. "Why are you so red?"

"B-because your compliment came out of nowhere. . ."

He scooped my face into his palm. "Are you that embarrassed when I compliment you?"

"I-I—"

"This kind of distance used to be so normal between us. Is it selfish that I want to be even closer?" he murmured. "Maybe I'm being sentimental because I've been gone so long, but, I'm just so happy to be with you again. That I can talk to you face to face like this—touch you. I love you so much, Shii."

He leaned forward. A second before our lips could melt together for the second time, I shoved his chest. In that same moment, Rin-Rin was seized by his collar from behind and tugged elsewhere.

"As if, bastard!"

"What do you think you're doing?"

"Get away from her!"

The cries were synchronous. I found myself wedged protectively between Upperclassman Issei, Naru, and Hachi. Banri, Kamakiri, and Igarashi had yanked Rin-Rin back.

Fluttering his eyelids, Rin-Rin swung his gaze between their snarling faces, and cocked his head. "What, are you all fans? Ahaha, no need to get so impatient. I can take pictures with you guys in a minute. Now if you'll excuse me, I was kinda having a moment with my girlfriend—"

"What girlfriend?" Igarashi hissed. "Kisaragi isn't yours!"

"And she never will be," Kamakiri spat. "Pull some common sense out of your ass, damn oaf."

Banri smouldered unbelievable rage. "How dare you touch Kisa three times right in front of me. Is your death wish that big?"

Rin-Rin guffawed uncontrollably. "Shii, your friends are so funny!"

"Kisaragi, are you all right?" Upperclassman Issei's undivided focus was on me.

"I-If you'd like, I can tell him off," Naru stammered, puffing his chest. "It's the knight's duty to protect the princess from evil—a-and I'm definitely the man in this relationship."

"Shiina," Hachi prodded.

They most likely could identify the melancholy that enveloped me. Gripping my arm, the ghost sensation of Rin-Rin's lips on mine—his words echoing in my ears—riddled my heart with holes. Biting my lip, I couldn't look them in the eye.

Since it was so long since I saw him—since we could chat so freely—I'd gotten swept up in the moment. But I couldn't put this off. He assumed I was his girlfriend.

The guilt was suffocating. Sure it wasn't intentional but, I'd toyed with his heart. The entire time he'd been gone, he was convinced I was his. That I cared for him the way he did for me.

Part of it didn't feel real. The same Rin-Rin I'd always known, the Rin-Rin I was convinced I understood better than anyone. . . And I, so cluelessly. . .

"Rin."

His laughter seized. The gravity of his name on my tongue had enveloped the entire room in silence.

"What's wrong, Shii?" He slipped from the others' hold, forcing a smile. "You never call me that. What is it? Trying to be affectionate?"

Taking a step forward, closing the distance between us, I stared him straight in the eye. As painful as it was, as hard as the lump in my throat was, I had to say it. Voice these thoughts. Make my emotions clear. "I. . . had no idea."

"You're acting all serious," he snorted. "C'mon. I'm finally back—took time off so we can be together again. You missed me too, right? You love me too, right? Let's—"

"I'm sorry."

By and by, his nonchalance disappeared. Tears swelled in my eyelids. He lurched forward.

"Sh-Shii? I'm sorry! It's because I kissed you, isn't it? I won't try to kiss you without permission again!"

"It's not that," I choked, rubbing them away. "I'm a horrible person."

He grabbed my wrists. "No, you aren't. Why would you say that?"

"Because that day before you left for your tour. . . I didn't actually confess. Honestly, I had no idea you saw me in that kind of way until now. This whole boyfriend, girlfriend thing too."

His eyes shrunk back.

"I-I do love you, Rin-Rin. But. . . I don't know if it's that way. I'm sorry. This entire time, I was so oblivious. I. . ."

A wry snort.

"I had a feeling," he said. "You never looked twice in my direction. But the boy in love with you was so happy that I twisted your words so that it'd align with what I always wished for."

I searched his detached countenance.

"It's. . . all right?"

"If you don't like me in that way, then I can't force you to date me. It's my karma for getting ahead of myself."

He snuck a withering look at everyone else who watched this unfold. Then, a smirk tilted the corner of his lips.

"You said you weren't sure, right? In other words, there's a chance it's mutual. A chance your love is the same as mine. That I can become your boyfriend. This time, properly."

In a split second, I was in his arms again. It was the same face I was convinced I'd etched into my mind. The same mesmerizing irises I'd peered into time and time again.

"I love you, Shiina." His whisper tickled my heart. "I've been obsessed with you for years. I've held everything about you close to my heart. I wish I can tell you how crazy I am about you—how many butterflies you give me, how much brighter you make my days—but at this point, loving you is like breathing. I can't imagine my life without you. More than anyone else in the whole world, I love you, Shiina. That's why I won't let anyone take you from me. Never."

I stumbled back. My surroundings were unsteady. Everything about this entire situation rocked in slow motion—the sole exception being the frenetic pace of my heart. In my ears—against my ribcage—it thundered, my skin scorching, eyes bulged.

Rin-Rin's solemnity never faded—his gaze pierced every last bit of my rationality.

"This time, you can't say you had no idea. I'll repeat it as many times as it takes until you finally believe me. I'll steal another kiss if I have to, too. So, Shiina. Instead of apologizing, please take this declaration of my love seriously. Not as a childish best friend, but a boy who's been hopelessly infatuated with you for years."

My legs were noodles. Wobbly, I winded backwards, briefly acknowledging the dumbstruck countenances of everyone in the room. Like the disoriented fraidy-cat I was, I could only escape with my legs between my legs, up the staircase and into my bedroom. Locking the door, and without regard for the darkness of my room, I collapsed to my knees, willing, pleading, my heartbeat to slow, and for me to catch my breath.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Chapter Bonus:

"Ha ha. Am I hated?"

Rin could only chuckle upon being encircled by the six boys. Anger, frustration, envy, confusion—albeit muddled, they glowered with unmistakable hostility. Setting his palm on his hip, his mouth upturned dryly.

"I'll enlighten you in advance: touch this million dollar body and you'll incur the wrath of every female in the country."

"What are you trying to pull?" Igarashi demanded.

Side-eying them, Rin's answer was immediate: "Marking my territory."

Like a shot had been fired, all patience evaporated.

"Kisa would never fall for you," Banri enunciated. 

"And she'll fall for you?"

Silence filtered through.

He scoffed. "Let me guess: none of you have told her how you feel. Then, on what basis can you act so high and mighty? Saying she'll never give me the time of day, insisting we don't have a chance. Did you possibly get a peace of mind after realizing I had a misconception? Did you expect me to laugh and offhandedly play 'friends' when you're all secretly vying for my girl? What kind of coward do you think I am? I may play a carefree figure to the general public, but when it comes to her, I don't budge one bit. I never will."

His words severed like knives, burning with incomparable integrity.

"I love her. And I'm not afraid to tell her, or the entire universe, just how much. There's no way I'm losing Shii to people who are. If you have a problem with that, why don't you confess too? You may have to grow some balls first, though. Especially you, blond."

Narumi flinched.

Rin shrugged. He glazed the clueless Hachiko, the scowling Kamakiri, the strained Issei, and fixed his attention to the stairwell the girl of the hour had hastily bumbled up minutes prior.

"Not that I believe for a second Shii will ever choose any of you over me."

_________

This chapter was a lot,,,

Originally, I wrote this another way but had to rewrite it because I got an even better idea. Did you guys expect the girlfriend/boyfriend plot twist?? This confession??

Rin's always been in this story in spirit but now that he's here real time, he will surely stir the complacency of their daily lives for the remaining chapters of this book (kinda already has haha) ;)

Btw, I've just been updating willy-nilly but do you guys mind? Are daily updates all right or should I tone them down to maybe thrice a week? I actually have a couple more chapters stocked up so I don't really mind either way.

Vote & Comment! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.5K 298 30
Clarke Griffin awaits to meet the Commander of the 12 clans, known for being ruthless and lethal. After much conflict, they decide to make peace as s...
100K 4.8K 30
Jenny was taking a nice walk along her parents' property when she slipped on some stones by the creek. She thought she caught herself, but still fel...
901 87 24
Suddenly I woke up as the villainess; not only that but the female lead and second male lead is is my sister & brother?!
789 89 77
The Array consisting of twelve habitats plus the central command ship, had been traveling through space for thousands of years on their way to a new...