Tavern of Witchita

By S_L_B_M

Deep within the forest of Gaia, lies a Tavern fit for those who seek a place of relief. Magic roams around th... More

• Introduction •
1 | New Clients
2 | Heading Out
3 | Kingdom of Lucerr
4 | The Demon Monarchy
5 | It's in the Dungeon
6 | Royal Family Origin
7 | Confrontation
8 | To a Rest
9 | Discarded Memories
10 | Deformed past
12 | A Bit of Interest
13 | Broken Bridge Tavern
14 | New Mistress
15 | Letter
16 | Disagreements
17 | Caught
18 | Conflict
19 | Dhara of the wood
20 | Norman's turn
21 | A false ruler
22 | A Kingdom Reborn
¿¿¿
Thank you!

11 | Welcome to the capital

15 4 4
By S_L_B_M

The city's clock of a fountain rings in peal, echoing within every chime as chatter fills the city capital. Citizens rush past to purchase products from the street vendors whilst little kids stumble upon running, laughing in their gleeful game of tag. Colorful festival streamers hang from house to house as if there is a festival, but in truth, there is no special occasion. The city of Strauss is just as active as always.

A hesitant Narra, a smiling Horns, and an excited Norman stand by the city entrance. Narra clutches her cloak slightly, her eyes narrow as she bites her lip. It isn't as if there is trouble in this city, she's concerned that the villagers recognize her appearance. It's been years after all.

Narra breathes in.

“Sh…Should I wear a cloak or –”

A pink hand places itself on her shoulder, making the young woman twich. Norman chuckles at her behavior while Horns gives her a reassuring grin.

“Relax, let's all have fun for today, hm?”

The witch loses her grasp on time as she thinks, but eventually, she smiles and nods at the two males. Horns ruffles her hair before marching on.

“Great! Let's go!”

The group rushes in head forth into the city, bumping into a few people and apologizing briefly before resuming. Dozens, maybe so hundreds of merchants waited eagerly among their stands. Selling various items for various citizens to buy. It's quite crowded, but joyous nevertheless. Even miniature bands play music on the sidewalk.

“Hey you two, look at this!” Horns yells in amazement, tugging Narra and Norman's arm as if he's about to show him something fantastic.

The two allow themselves to be pulled away by the demon with high expectations for his excitement. Could it be a kind of exotic fruit?

Narra and Norman's expectations plummet as they lay their sight on the stall. It showcases a wide array of wooden bowls with different colored powder on them. The aroma is wonderful. Horns grins in senseless pride as Narra lowers her head to take a closer look.

“Spices? That's quite a lot…I wonder if I could use them in brewing.” She ponders.

“Good idea, Narra.” Norman inserts.

Off to another stand.

“Woah…”  Norman stares at the blinking jewelry in awe.

The counter is almost littered with various stones and necklaces. This isn't very safe in regards to robberies – Narra thinks. Horns watches blankly the sidelines, not as interested in costly products.

“That looks quite expensive,” Narra says and the merchant jolts up in alarm, gaining Narra and Horns’ attention whilst Norman remains staring at the jewels.

“Not really, young lady! I say it's only 13 iron for a fine maiden such as yourself.” The scrawny old man flashes Narra a bright smile. He seems genuine, but she carried no interest in such things.

“Hm,” Narra hums in thought, and Norman raises his hand in passion.

“I'll take it!”

“I didn't know you're a jewelry person, Norman.”

“Booze! Booze! Booze!”

Horns cheers as he waddles around with two bottles of liquor in his hands, an idiotic smile on his face. Narra and Norman wonder where he even got those from. Let alone if he paid for it?

“Hey, you!” A scruffy man yells from a road away, steam seemingly emitting from his red face.

Now they know who he got it from. Without wavering, the group lurk away.

The three didn't bother keeping track of time anymore as they allow themselves to enjoy the city festivities

On the way of exploring every merchant's stand, they find items such as silk, fur, bread, and even shoes. Laughter follows the trio, with Horns and Norman most notably acting silly or foolish as an attempt to make Narra chuckle– either that or they're just ridiculously fun. They receive a few glances of judgment when it comes to Horns, but that didn't kill the fun.

Norman fiddles with the couple dozen grey rustic coins in his hands, examining it with slight awe. Horns and Narra peer from the young boy's shoulder.

The group is in a much less rowdy area now: in the suburbs of the main city. It's peaceful here compared to the center.

“Twenty-four iron for just the weird mushrooms we picked up? Wow…” Norman mutters, earning a comment for Narra.

“Told you so.”

Silence takes over the group as Norman and Horns stare at her in surprise. There isn't anything wrong with what she said, it's just so strange to hear her say such a strange. It's fascinating, even.

“Sorry,” Narra mumbles, making the two males panic at her misunderstanding. Situations like this are to be expected, especially when Narra never really sought out to befriend new people.

“No, it's alright.”

“Ease up,”

The fiddle-faddle scenario is cut off by a woman who approached the group. A furry creature follows beside her.

“Hey, would ya look at that? It's the tavern lady.”

Strolling over is a woman with long maroon hair, styled into a half-up bun, paired with red eyes and pale skin. Her attire resembles that of someone who lives in the woods. A bow and arrow hoister residing in her back.

Narra gives her a warm smile while Horns and Norman exchange confused glances.

“Why hello Dhara,” Narra greets the female who is supposedly named Dhara.

Horns takes a step, alining himself with Narra as he wraps her arm around her waist, making the witch raise a brow at his sudden movement.

“And who is this random dame?” He asks, smirking as if claiming the witch.

“This is Dhara Redwood, she's a local customer of the tavern. Same as you, Horns. Though I don't think you two have met.” Narra explains as Horns and Dhara exchange competitive glares.

Norman inserts in the conversation.
“Is that a wolf?”

In sync, both Dhara and the wolf scowl at the young boy. He jolts, standing up straight as he introduces himself.

“N…Norman Krone!”

Her red gaze trails over to the demon, who merely shrugs and says his name.

“Horns, just Horns.”

Dhara's gaze soothes and Narra looks at Horns questionably.

He still chooses to be secretive and that's fine. He can make his own decisions. It's just a bit baffling for her.

Upon staring, similarly dark eyes meet hers. Narra's gaze snaps away, adrenaline rising through as a shade of pink covers her face. For some reason, it's started her quite a bit. The corner of Horns’ lips tugs upwards, forming a smirk.

“Well if you guys are looking for fun, would you like to go the Loon Forest with me?” Dhara offers, earning a confused look from Norman, while Horns and Narra remain as they are.

“It's a relatively small forest by the side of the city. It's the turf and source of income of Hunters like me. There's a lot of herbs there if Narra wants some.”

“Well, why not?” Narra shrugs, the pink fading away as she agrees to accompany Dhara into the forest. Norman and Horns accept the decision.

The group steps on twigs, roots, and leaves as they walk in the relatively thin forest. Slim trees outnumber the area as bushes did too.

It isn't as wide and deep as the forest Narra resides in, instead, it's a forest fitting for a highly-populated city. A forest with enough fruit, wood, and animals to hunt.

Dhara hops on rocks along with her wolf as Norman and Horns watch. Narra kneels down in an area of grass as she pulls out a pocket knife from her sack.

“Woah, there's a lot around here,” She utters, stuffing numerous kinds of herbs into her satchel.

“Pick up as many as you like,” Dhara inserts.

The two females have been friends for quite some time. Dhara's been a regular of her tavern way before Horns even stumbled upon it. Nowadays she comes to visit very rarely, which is understandable, people have their duties to tend to.

Horns and Norman sit on a sturdy log as they wait for the two girls to finish their tasks.

“How's the journey been so far?” Horns asks the young lad.

Norman chuckles and replies with ease.

“Despite the whole ordeal with your family, everything's been really fun. It gets boring sometimes when you travel alone.”

“Boohoo,”

“Hey don't belittle my feelings. I'm hurt now.”

Snickers erupt from the two's mouths as they joke around to pass time.

The rushed snapping of twigs and the crunch of gravel gain everyone's attention. Perhaps a deer or rabbit is approaching, way too quickly, might I add.

Each person stands up in alert. It's better to be prepared for combat in every forest. Wild boars and such often dominate the area.

A growl emits from nearby.

Norman pulls out a sword from his bag and Horns stands in front of Narra protectively.

They wait for a while. A disturbing tension thick in the air. Just then, the bushes shake violently and Dhara is quick to pull out a bow and arrow. The wolf growls and gets into a stance.

“Get down!” She speaks as she shoots, straight at the target.

A gigantic creature releases an ear-piercing roar in the bushes. It leaps it, gigantic wings flapping in panic as it squirms.

“Wait!”

The arrow is deflected by something. It pierces into a nearby tree instead.

A blonde male rushes in front of the looming creature as he waves his arms around to get its attention. Dhara and the others look at him in complete confusion and disbelief. Who is this guy so stupid enough to stand in front of a griffin?

“Hey boy, hey…It's alright.”

The group waits, staring at the guy while he does his thing. The trio exchange glances of confusion while Dhara just appears upset. She did miss a hit after all.

“These people are passersby, let's just go back to your cave, alright?” The man soothes the creature, and surprisingly enough, it works.

The griffin pulls back its sharp claws and calms down its hyper wings. It then flies away in an instant, leaving the rest bewildered, including the wolf.

The blonde male turns to the group. His grass green eyes expressed mind concern as he asks them.

“Are you all okay?”

It takes a while for the others to comprehend the recent event. Narra is the first to speak up after a long train of thought.

“Yes, thank you.”

Horns backs away, still confused while Norman is completely still. No one seems to quite understand what just happened. It was so quick.

Dhara approaches the man, eyebrows knitted. The wolf beside her glares at him.

“How did you do that?” She asks rather bluntly, and the male merely smiles at her.

“I'm a tamer around here. I keep the wild creatures in check. Most of them are quite nice, I must say.” The guy explains, walking amongst the group as they exit the forest.

The wolf Dhara is friends with ended up staying behind for now.

Narra, Horns, and Norman seem to have a better grasp of the situation after the man explained it. Dhara's still upset for whatever reason.

As they reach the suburbs of the Strauss, children rush out from a nearby cottage as they run towards the blonde man. Narra and Horns back away from the kids.

“Caiden!”

“Caiden's here, everyone!”

Chuckles and giggles fill the situation as the supposed ‘Caiden’ plays with the children. Narra and Horns watch the scene play out blankly and Norman smiles at the kids.

This man, that came out of nowhere, is certainly strange.

Dhara grimaces at the seemingly perfect person.

First, the guy is a specialized tamer– a skill only very few can have. Second, he's irredeemably handsome. Third, the children and townsfolk love him. Such a gifted and fortunate person sparks a bit of resentment in her chest, maybe something more.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.6K 1.9K 46
Niccola is a demi-queen undercover in enemy territory. Her little sister went missing seven moons ago, but one lead remains: a picture of a woman's f...
1.6K 345 29
A story of love, power, betrayal, and the corruption of an innocent soul. ------------ Melusine "Sina" Fisher grows up in the seaside village of Farb...
9.5K 317 60
A family, full of deceitful maniacs... A kingdom ruled by tyranny, yet the people aren't aware... A story full of lies and deceit, woven to manipulat...
1.8K 40 30
This story takes place in the fantasy world of Amaldia. Amaldia is cornered by two most mysterious regions. The seemingly endless Phantasm Forest and...