Arthur's Sons (Book 1)

By Svetocha_vampire

What if Merlin was born female(Merlyn) and she and Arthur met a few years before Camelot and after a night to... More

Prologue
A Fallen Angel
Summer Dreams
Till We Meet Again
Children of the Sun and Moon
The Dragon's Call (Part 1)
The Dragon's Call (Part 2)
The Dragon's Call (Part 3)
Valiant (Part 1)
Valiant (Part 2)
Valiant (Part 3)
The Mark of Nimueh (Part 1)
The Mark of Nimueh (Part 2)
The Mark of Nimueh (Part 3)
The Poisoned Chalice (Part 1)
The Poisoned Chalice (Part 2)
The Poisoned Chalice (Part 3)
Lancelot (Part 1)
Lancelot (Part 2)
Lancelot (Part 3)
A Remedy to Cure All Ills (Part 1)
A Remedy to Cure All Ills (Part 2)
A Remedy to Cure All Ills (Part 3)
The Gates of Avalon (Part 1)
The Gates of Avalon (Part 2)
The Gates of Avalon (Part 3)
The Beginning of the End (Part 1)
The Beginning of the End (Part 2)
The Beginning of the End (Part 3)
Excalibur (Part 1)
Excalibur (Part 2)
Excalibur (Part 3)
The Moment of Truth (Part 2)
The Moment of Truth (Part 3)
The Labyrinth of Gedref (Part 1)
The Labyrinth of Gedref (Part 2)
The Labyrinth of Gedref (Part 3)
Summer Solstice (Part 1)
Summer Solstice (Part 2)
Summer Solstice (Part 3)
To Kill the King (Part 1)
To Kill the King (Part 2)
To Kill the King (Part 3)
Le Morte d'Arthur (Part 1)
Le Morte d'Arthur (Part 2)
Le Morte d'Arthur (Part 3)

The Moment of Truth (Part 1)

2.4K 59 15
By Svetocha_vampire

The twins had the morning off and were in the lower town collecting water from the well and chatting away happily when Rowan suddenly went rigid and turned to scan the crowd.

"Grandma?" He said in disbelief before running from his brothers side up to Hunith who was walking around confused in the lower town.

Arty grabbed the bucket and hurried after him while both boys called out to her, Hunith turned and saw them running toward her and gave them a wide smile.

"Boys!" She laughed as Rowan practically threw himself into arms with Arty not far behind.

Both boys pulled back to smile up at her when Arty's smile faltered seeing the angry purple bruise on the side of her face. "Grandma, what happened? Who did this to you?!" She smiled sadly a took his small hand from her face giving it a small kiss.

"Don't worry about me, where is your mother?"

"She's attending the Prince," Rowan told her and Hunith nodded before smiling. "I'll take you to Gaius, brother you go and get mum." Arty nodded to his brother and gave Hunith a quick kiss before running off to find his mother.

He checked the training field first, then the stables before heading into the castle dodging servants as he made his way quickly to the Prince's chambers hoping he wasn't in a meeting. He knocked and waited for his father to bid him entry, at his father muffled confirmation he reached up to open the door and stepped inside. Thankfully his mother was there straightening the bedding while his father sat going through the many documents and papers stacked on his desk.

Arthur looked up and smiled, his eyes softening at the sight of his son."Ah, son, what brings you here today."

Arty bowed politely, "I have come to fetch mother if she isn't too busy." Merlyn looked up at him and raised a brow.

"What did you do this time?" Merlyn asks with an exasperated sigh.

"What? Nothing!" He cried indignantly while Arthur burst out laughing from his desk, Arty shot him a dirty look as the Prince tried to reign in his chortling.

"IF you must know, Rowan and I meet Grandma in town. She's waiting in Gaius's chambers." Arty told them snarkily crossing his arms, the amused smile was immediately gone and replaced with a look of worry.

"Is she alright?" Arty hesitated and that was all Merlyn need for her to bow to Arthur and hurry out without a word leaving behind a stunned Prince. Arty looked between his father and where his mother had left before giving the Prince a strained smile and polite bow and hurried out after his mother. He made it back to the Physician's chambers just after his mother to see them hugging and exchanging pleasantries.

"Mother, what happened?" Merlyn asked sitting her down at the table.

"Kanen, he is a raider who keeps taking our harvest and barley leaving any for the rest of us. Winter is almost upon us and we have no food and too many hungry mouths. I tried to stop him and he struck me, I came here to asked the King for aid." Hunith explained while Merlyn gently rubbed her back in comfort before Merlyn could say a word someone else spoke up.

"I can get you an audience with the King, besides I owe you for my leg." They all turned to see Arthur entered closing the door behind him, he turned back toward them and Hunith gasped shooting to her feet.

"You." She growled, Arthur blinked in surprise at Huniths tone before he was slapped soundly causing his head to snap to the side.

"You bastard, first you sleep with my daughter and get her pregnant! Then you leave and force her to suffer alone through it!" Hunith snarled causing Arthur to back up to the door while Merlyn and the twins looked shocked at Hunith's outburst. "And you have the nerve to even associate with my daughter after what you did and work her like a dog!" Arthur bowed his head in shame as Hunith continued shouting at him until Merlyn finally stood and as usual came to her Prince's rescue.

"Mother enough, he knows about the boys and has accepted them. He already feels guilty enough about what happened and he's making up for it." Merlyn spoke quietly but firmly and Hunith turned to study her for a moment before turning back and pointing warningly at the Prince.

"If I hear that you've hurt any of them; I don't care if you are a Prince, I will hunt you to the ends of the earth if I have to and kill you with my bare hands. Is that understood?" Hunith threatened him, her voice a low growl. Arthur's eyes widened in genuine fear and he nodded rapidly.

"I said AM I UNDERSTOOD!" Hunith hissed and Arthur gulped.

"Y-yes ma'am." He said terrified. Hunith nodded and went back to sitting at the table leaving Arthur to watch her as if she were a tiger about to pounce and tear him to pieces.

Suddenly all the rage on her face was gone and it was lit with a beaming smile. "So boys tell me what it's been like living in Camelot." The twins looked at each other in shock before they started telling Hunith about their escapades, Arthur's eyes widened further at the sudden change and he looked to Merlyn for help.

Merlyn chuckled and came up beside him giving his arm a comforting rub. "Don't worry, you got the easy lecture." Arthur whipped his head to her and she gave him a pitying smile.

"THAT was the easy lecture, I feel like I just got eviscerated, my intestines wrapped around my neck and strangled without even putting up a fight." Arthur squawked while Merlyn laughed merrily.

"It was MUCH worse when I found out I was pregnant, trust me." Merlyn spoke quietly, her voice pained. Arthur sighed and pulled her into his side letting her head rest on his shoulder.

"I'll go ask for an audience with my father." He gave her a quick kiss on the cheek before slipping out of her embrace and leaving quietly not wanting to attract Hunith's attention lest he get another pride shredding lecture. 

An hour later Hunith was stood before the king in the throne room wringing her hands nervously.

"The winters are harsh in Ealdor, and there are many children. Some of them just won't be strong enough to survive. We barely have enough food as it is, and if Kanen takes our harvest, our children won't live to see another summer. Please, we need your help." Hunith bowed her head humbly while the King remained indifferent.

"Ealdor's in Cenred's kingdom. Your safety is his responsibility." Uther told her monotonously.

"We've appealed to our King, but he cares little for the outlying regions. You're our only hope." She said quietly hoping the king would take pity.

"I have the deepest sympathy for you and would have this barbarian wiped off the face of the earth." The King began.

"You'll help us?" Hunith asked hopefully.

"I wish I could." He sighed and rested his face on his fist.

"Surely we can spare a few men?" Arthur tried hoping not only to persuade his father but to also try to get in Hunith's good books.

"Resources are not the problem."

"Then what is?" Morgana piped up with a raised brow.

"Ealdor lies beyond the Ridge of Essetir. For an army of Camelot to enter it would be an act of war." Uther told them and Hunith's shoulders slumped in defeat.

"Father what if we go in plain travellers clothes, no cloaks or anything carrying the symbol of Camelot. Take a small force, defeat the raiders and be back with in the week." Arthur asked, Uther considered for a moment before shaking his head.

"The accord we've struck with Cenred was years in the making. I cannot risk hundreds of lives for the sake of one village. I'm afraid Camelot cannot help." Uther declared. Arthur frowned and gave Merlyn an apologetic look before she strode forward and gently took her mother's arm and lead her from the room with the boys trailing dejectedly.

Awhile later Arthur is stood upon the battlements slowly turning his mother's ring on his finger while going over the situation and trying to calm the anger he was feeling toward his father for not even trying to help when someone stepped up beside him.

Arthur turned his head and saw his raven-haired beauty looking out over Camelot with a wistful smile. "I'm sorry. If it were up to me, we'd be on our way there now."

"You tried. And thank you for getting an audience with the King." Merlyn turned to him and gave him a loving smile but her eyes were sad and conflicted.

"I wish that Camelot was able to help people regardless of how far away they lived." He told her truthfully looking back to the horizon.

"I'm going back to Ealdor."

Arthur whipped his head to her and opened his mouth but found no words, she met his eyes and he could see the pain and fear of what lay ahead. He brushed her hair back behind her ear and cupped her chin gently.

"You're afraid." He told her and she lowered her eyes.

"I'm not afraid of the raiders... there was a reason I fled Ealdor and came here and no, it wasn't to seek you out. I met you again by happenstance for which I will always be grateful but...." She trailed off and there was genuine fear in her eyes.

"What happened before you came to Camelot?" He prompted but she shook her head and stepped back, tears in her eyes.

"You don't need to worry, I'll be okay. It's been an honour serving you." She bowed and Arthur's jaw dropped.

"You'll be coming back... Right?" He asked panicked and Merlyn looked guilty.

"I-i don't know Arthur. The twins are coming back with me, they want to at least see there Uncle Will but I don't know." Arthur felt like his heart was trying to tear out of his chest, he quickly grabbed her and pulled her to his chest.

"Please Merlyn, I know I always make fun of you and call you an idiot but I can't live without you." He whispered, Merlyn tensed against him then relaxed and gave him a gentle pat on the back before looking up and locking their eyes.

"Alright, I'll go help mother and the others and come straight back when we're done. Promise." Merlyn gave him a beaming smile and his heart melted at the sight, he gave her a quick parting kiss before letting her go to pack for the journey.

Merlyn spent the day packing while Gaius made sure she had plenty for the journey, she made sure to bring her bow and quiver and few small weapons Arthur had given her. The boys made sure to have all their daggers and even brought their wooden swords to show Will, once they were done they went out to load up the horses when Morgana and Gwen came up with their mounts.

"We're coming with you." Morgana spoke before Merlyn could get a word out.

"What do you mean?" Merlyn asked looking between them startled.

"You're going to need all the help you can get. I can mend armour and sharpen swords." Gwen told her with a bright smile.

"And I know how to fight." Morgana finished with a smirk.

"No, you can't it's too dangerous. What would the King do if you were hurt?"

"If it was the other way around, you'd help us. You already have. You saved my life." Gwen told her firmly before mounting her horse.

"And you helped me get the druid boy out of Camelot. We owe it to you. Both of us. Never mind the King, I'm doing this of my own free will." Morgana said stubbornly before mounting, Merlyn sighed and saw the amused grins on her son's faces before mounting her steed and heading out of the courtyard.

Arthur waited till just before dusk before leaving a message for his father that he had gone hunting and took Brutus from his stall, saddling him up and heading out after Merlyn fully equipped. He followed their trail easily along the road at a gallop in order to catch up as much as he could before it was too dark to see. The sun had been set for an hour but luckily the moon was full tonight and lit the trail enough that he was able to follow the tracks but at a slightly slower pace, it only took about half an hour before he saw the familiar glow of a campfire a ways off the road.

Arthur leads his horse on foot and left him tied up a short ways from the camp before creeping closer to make sure it was them. He crouched down in the bushes and spotted Merlyn and her mother talking quietly while the other slept.

"It won't make any difference to Kanen that they're women." Hunith spoke while looking at the two sleeping women.

"I know. But I couldn't talk them out of coming." Merlyn sighed heavily. Merlyn then looks at the healing bruise on his mother's face and brushes a finger over the darkened flesh with a thunderous expression.

"I want to make him pay for what he did to you."

Hunith took her daughter's hand and squeezed it firmly."Promise me you'll be careful. No one can find out about you, any of you."

"They won't. They never do." There was a hint of sadness in her voice at that and Arthur realised she meant him.

"Get some rest." Hunith patted her hand motherly before rolling over on her bedroll and going to sleep. Merlyn smiled faintly in her direction before taking on a saddened expression, before Arthur could move Merlyn pulled a stick from the fire and blew some burning embers into the air.

" Draca." Merlyn whispered, her eyes glowed molten gold and the embers took the form of the roaring Pendragon crest. Arthur gasped faintly and stepped back causing a stick to crack under his boot while Brutus neighed distantly. Merlyn's head shot up; her expression becoming fierce, she quietly rose to grab her bow and quiver before stalking silently toward Brutus barely missing him in the bushes. Arthur smirked and rose following her silently, he got three paces from her and lifted his sword to her back. Before he could say a word she whipped around and hooked his sword through her bow and twisted it out of his grip before drawing the arrow back, pointing it at his heart.

"I'd ask you for money, but I know you don't have any." He grinned holding his hands up in surrender.

"Arthur!" She yelped lowering her bow and replacing her arrow with the others. "What the hell are you doing here?" She whisper-shouted at him.

"You really think I was going to let you walk into hell without me." He huffed crossing his arms, Merlyn rolled her eyes and punched his arm playfully before heading back toward the camp. Arthur retrieved Brutus; tying him up with the others and laid out his bedroll next to hers while she rebuilt the fire.

"How much further is it?" Merlyn looked up and sighed.

"Er, maybe a few hours."

"How many men does Kanen have?" He asked leaning back on the bedroll.

"Erm, I'm not sure. I think, from what my mother said, maybe as many as forty." She told him and he nodded before rolling over.

"You should get some rest. It's going to be a long day tomorrow."

"Thank you. I know you didn't have to come." Merlyn smiled faintly and Arthur pulled her down to lay next to him before curing around her protectively and wrapping his cloak over them both.

"Get some sleep." He murmured in her ear while she blushed faintly, she sighed and snuggled into his warmth before letting her eyes close and drift into unconsciousness.

The next morning everyone wakes to find the Prince among them curled around his maidservant, Morgana and Gwen just smile at each other while Hunith looks on warily, the twins, on the other hand, decide to wake them.

"Come on, up you get." Arty huffs pulling on his father's arm barely managing to move him while he's in full armour. Arthur grunts and cracks and eye open to see both boys grinning.

"Come on, up! Up! Up!" Rowan calls pushing his father's arm in a steady rhythm eliciting more groans of protest. At this point, the noise had woken Merlyn who yawned and scrubbed the sleep from her eyes before attempting to get up only to be stopped by two arms around her waist.

"Get off you lug, I've got to make breakfast." Merlyn playfully hit his arm a few times and Arthur simply pulled her in tighter before nuzzling into her neck.

"No...Warm." He grumbled and Merlyn sighed while everyone else chuckled.

"I'll make breakfast mum." Arty chirped before trotting over to get some supplies and the cooking utensils before starting to cook something that smelt absolutely delicious.

"Are you going to get up?" Merlyn asked Arthur who had kept her trapped with him on the bedroll.

"We never get to do this in Camelot, just enjoy it." He murmured sleepily, Merlyn chuckled before wiggling up the bedroll a bit and lying on her back so she could put Arthur's head on her shoulder and gently run her fingers through his golden hair. Gwen and Morgana looked at them fondly but didn't say anything, Hunith's eyes had softened and she had a small smile on her face.

After breakfast, which was delicious, they all mounted up and trekked the last few hours toward Ealdor. When they crested the hill a grim sight beheld them, the bandits were in the village threatening the villagers and taking what was left of the food. Matthew was begging the leader to stop when the bastard struck him, Merlyn without thinking kicked her horse into a hard gallop ignoring the shouts behind her. Matthew crawled back away from the leader who raised his axe for the final blow, Merlyn stood high in the stirrups and drew an arrow; notching it and taking aim, she released the arrow and it stuck in the wooden post by the bandit leaders head.

"Kill them!" Kanen roars to his men while fleeing for his horse. Merlyn draws another arrow and kills an archer before continuing her onslaught until she reached the village. Arthur was right behind her and once there they dismounted and began fighting the bandits on the ground, Arthur with a sword and Merlyn with a bow and dagger. The girls weren't far behind and began helping once they got there. A bandit backed Merlyn against one of the houses, she dodges his swing which catches his sword in the door, she grins and head buts the man causing him to stumble back before she drives her dagger into his heart. A bandit tries to attack Arthur from behind but Morgana parries the man's strike before cutting him down and grinning at a surprised Arthur.

"Bring back memories of when I used to beat you?"

"That never happened." Arthur snapped irritably before moving to fight another bandit.

Kanen, seeing that his men were all but gone called a retreat; a few managed to get on their horses and make a break for the trees.

"You'll pay for this with your lives! All of you!" He roars before racing off. Merlyn steps forward and uses her bow to take down another two ridders before they are past the tree line. Arthur watches her impressed and goes to approach when a voice speaks up from the crowd.

"You still up to the same old magic tricks again? Look, I thought I told you I didn't want your kind around here?" Merlyn turns to the voice, a man with dirty brown hair and dull blue-grey eyes steps forward. Arthur's hackles rise at the man's tone but they both break into grins and rush for a hug.

"I missed you, too, Will." She laughs while giving him a clap on the back.

"Uncle Will!" Both twins cheer running and tackling him to the ground, Will laughs and rough houses with them while Merlyn laughs happily seemingly lighting the world around her. Arthur feels a spike of jealousy before stomping over.

"Merlyn! Gather the villagers, I need to talk to them." He snaps causing the smile to slip off her face.

"Yeah, in a minute. I'm just talking..." Merlyn tried but Arthur cut her off.

"Now, Merlyn. There isn't much time."

"Yes, Sire." Merlyn sighed before doing as he asked while the boys looked between them with faint frowns. Once the villagers are assembled Arthur stands on a raised platform to address them, Merlyn stands in the front of the crowd with the two boys at her feet while Gwen and Morgana stand behind him.

"I know Kanen's kind. He'll be back. And when he is, you must be ready for him. First of all, we have to prepare for..." He began but was cut off by the same man who Merlyn had been speaking to.

"Am I the only one wondering who the hell this is?" Will piped up stepping through the crowd.

"I'm Prince Arthur of Camelot." Arthur stated staring down at him with all the Princely poise he could muster.

"Wait aren't you that knight the Birdy saved from the forest years ago?" Will asked squinting his eyes at the Prince above him, Merlyn looked panicked and Arthur gave her a reassuring smile.

"Yes, I owe my life to Merlyn and Hunith and I am here now to repay that debt." Arthur told the man, Will, who he now vaguely remembered meeting.

Will's eyes widened. "Then that means you..."

" Keep quiet. He's here to help us." Hunith chastised Will who took one look at her face and clammed up but only for a moment.

"But he's made things worse. Kanen will be back, and when he is, he'll be looking for revenge. You've just signed our death warrants." Will snapped back at the Prince who looked unfazed.

"He saved Matthew's life!" Hunith cried but Arthur raised his hand in a placating gesture.

"That's alright, Hunith. This is his village. What would you have us do?" Arthur turned back to Will who blushed embarrassed and sneered at him.

"We can't fight against Kanen. He has too many men."

"So what's the alternative?" Arthur prompted cocking his head mockingly.

"Give him what he wants." Will finished crossing his arms. The villagers shake their heads and cry out in outrage.

"Then what? Those of you who don't starve to death will face him again next harvest! And the harvest after that." Arthur tells him coldly and Will shrinks in on himself a little.

"We'll manage. We'll survive." Will mumbles barely audible.

"How?" Some of the villagers cry out and Arthur gives them a kind smile before addressing the whole village.

"The only way he can be stopped is if you stand up to him."

"No. You just want the honour and glory of battle! That's what drives men like you! Look, if you want to fight, then go home and risk the lives of your own people, not ours!" Will shouts angrily before looking to Merlyn to back him up.

"Will, enough." She says firmly, Will scowls at her and storms away through the crowd.

"I'll follow you. If I'm to die, then I want to go out fighting." Hunith pipes up causing the other members of the village to cheer in approval of fighting for the village, Merlyn smiles proudly at Arthur and he feels his heart swell with affection. After a moment Merlyn tells the boy something that he can't hear before moving through the crowd after Will while the boys stay behind, after a moment of deliberation he decides to follow and make sure this Will doesn't do anything stupid.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

135K 3.2K 32
Merlin took his sister with him when he went to Camelot. What he didn't realise was how much this would affect his destiny. And how much danger there...
17.3K 633 20
Arthur Pendragon has always trusted his father's opinion of sorcery. He has witnessed, first hand, the atrocities Camelot's enemies could commit with...
79.8K 3.2K 64
What will the future bring for the young couple? As they defy the norms and fight back. As friendships and loyalties are tested and they are pushed t...
1.5K 102 10
A new princess coming to Camelot has sprung some tension between Arthur and Merlin. Both men try their best to keep their relationship intact but sup...