FAULT LINES โ”โ” oikawa tooru...

By luckyvirgo

KATSURAGI MISAKI has one mission as the manager of Aobajohsai High's Volleyball team. Finish off her third o... More

๐…๐€๐”๐‹๐“ ๐‹๐ˆ๐๐„๐’
๐„๐๐ˆ๐†๐‘๐€๐๐‡ ๐€๐๐ƒ ๐’๐Ž๐”๐๐ƒ๐“๐‘๐€๐‚๐Š
1 - A Long Couple Of Months
2 - A Manager's Job
3 - A Welcoming Team
4 - A Hardworking Player
5 - An Intense Practice
6 - A Tournament's Beginning
7 - A Familiar Routine
8 - A Team's Effort
9 - A Chance Lost (And A Chance Gained)
10 - A Day Shattered
11 - A Friendship Torn
12 - An Emotional Day
13 - A Good Cry
14 - An Unneeded Emotion
15 - An Argument Resolved
16 - A Friend's Comfort
17 - A Rather Good Day
18 - A Very Happy Day
19 - A Confused Heart
20 - A Mess Of Emotions
21 - A Walking Clichรฉ
22 - A First Of Many
23 - A Start Of Something
24 - An Everlasting Feeling
25 - A Day Of Feelings
26 - A Tournament's Start
28 - A Positive Outcome
29 - See You Later
30 - EPILOGUE

27 - An Everlasting Promise

2K 101 135
By luckyvirgo

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

      'History repeats itself.'

      Suddenly, this was a phrase that fit Seijoh really well. Karasuno, no longer the fallen champions, were their opponents in the semi-final match again. It was almost like they were fated to meet again.

      As both the teams started with their warm-ups, Misaki and Yuki busied themselves with checking if everything was there. Misaki could feel the nerves settling in her heart, but she could easily control them. For now. Once the match would start, her nerves were definitely going crazy. But the team was strong; they had practiced very well and she strongly believed that they had a chance to win this match and the next and finally go to the Nationals.

      Just a few feet away, Oikawa was laughing like an idiot as he teased Kageyama as the latter came to retrieve a ball.

      "Is he really a third year?" Hanamaki deadpanned.

      "Sure doesn't seem like it," Misaki muttered, rolling her eyes. 'That idiot. Even on days of a match, he's like this.'

        Next to her, Yuki snorted and covered her mouth to stifle her laughter. "He's being so stupid."

       "You took the words right out of my mouth."

       The two of them began to prep the water bottles and the towels, setting them on the bench for easy access. But then Misaki's eyes fell onto Yahaba, who was about to do something very stupid. She bit her lip, preventing a groan from escaping her mouth. The team was definitely lacking in brain cells.

       "Yuki, could you please take care of this?" Misaki said, motioning to the half set out towels and water bottles. "I need to go stop Yahaba from being an idiot."

       Already used to the antics of the team, Yuki nodded. "Sure, sure. Go ahead."

       Before Misaki could reach him, Yahaba tossed a ball towards the new Karasuno manager, the blonde girl who looked just a little on the nervous side. She was ready to storm over and smack him on the head, when suddenly a ball flew out of nowhere, towards the blonde manager.

      "Watch out!" Hanamaki warned loudly.

        But before any of them could react, the other manager of the team (Kiyoko, if Misaki was remembering her name correctly) rushed between her junior manager and in a slicing motion, slammed the ball away from them.

       Misaki felt slightly awed. 'That was cool.'

       Then, she shook herself out of her stupor and stormed over to Yahaba with a glare. "Don't do stupid shit like that during a match otherwise I'll smack you."

       Yahaba felt a shiver go down his spine. "Yes ma'am!"

       Turning to Kindaichi who was watching the exchange, Misaki said, in a calmer tone, "Back to warming up, Kindaichi."

      "Ah y-yes, senpai!" Kindaichi immediately walked over to the ball cart, ready to grab another ball.

      Misaki sighed as she started her walk back to the bench to help Yuki. But walking towards her (or rather towards the net) was Kyoutani, looking just as gruff as always. Misaki quickened her pace, coming to a stop right beside him. "Don't go pulling any stupid shit in this match. You understand me?"

      Kyoutani didn't reply, instead only letting out a grunt of acknowledgement.

    'Well, at least, that was something.' Misaki returned to the bench, joining Yuki once again.

    "Kyoutani-senpai is quite strange, isn't he?" Yuki said as she set out the last of the towels on the bench. "I wonder if he's the same in court."

     "He is," Misaki immediately said. "A little aggressive, but he's a good player."

     "I guess so."

     "Don't be worried," Misaki lightly squeezed Yuki's arm, seeing the mild distress in her eyes. "Trust me, the team will be fine. They're gonna do well. You just believe in them, okay?"

    "Yeah, got it," Yuki nodded.

     Before they knew it, it was finally time. Yuki left the court to join the cheering squad in the stands and the team was now gathered around the bench, with Coach Irihata giving them the usual pre-match pep talk. Misaki was right next to him, clipboard in one hand as she stared at everyone.

     Then it was Oikawa who spoke, firmly and strongly, his childish side completely hidden away. This was Captain Oikawa, the more mature side of him. 'I wish he was like that a lot more, but then again...' Misaki thought.

     "Alright so," Oikawa spoke, shaking his hands as though trying to dust them off. "I believe..."

     "We believe in you, Captain!" All the third years said together. Misaki giggled at the shocked expression on Oikawa's face. How cute.

     "We believe in your serves," Iwaizumi said, walking up to Oikawa. His hand on Oikawa's shoulders was a little firm. "If you mess up, you use ramen."

      Hanamaki repeated the same thing. "I want extra roasted pork slices."

      And next was Matsukawa. "I want a side of gyoza with mine. And lazy serves that go over the net don't count."

       "Oikawa, I want katsudon!" Misaki added with a slight smirk. "One extra bowl for every serve you miss!"

       "First years and second years! You guys can request too," Hanamaki added with a grin. The first years and the second years, let out sounds of delight.

        In the meantime, Oikawa looked like he was frozen, with the same expression. But then, an exasperated smile made its way to his face. And then it was finally time. Seijoh's cheer squad was in full swing, their cheers overpowering even the noise made by the crowd.

       Misaki watched as the team got into their positions. She took in a deep breath as Oikawa got ready to do his incredible serve.

      'And here we go.'

       'No...'

        The moment the ball simply bounced off Oikawa's arms, Misaki's heart broke. The ball hit the ground, bringing the set and the match to an end. Her heart broke even further when the referee blew his whistle, signalling Karasuno's victory and officially bringing the match to an end. With watery eyes and a shaky heart, she slowly stood up.

       The team eventually gathered in front of the bench as Coach Irihata delivered his last words to the team. But Misaki was unable to look any of them in the eye. If she did, the tears brimming in her eyes would spill over and she would break down. Which couldn't happen. She had to be strong for the boys, who looked utterly crushed, some with tears in their eyes.

      "I'm so proud of you all," Misaki said, summoning what little confidence she could. "You played so well today."

      That was the trigger that caused their tears to spill over. The first years, even Kunimi had tears running down their faces; Yahaba was wiping his tears with his arms; Kyoutani looked strangely despondent and the third years...the third years had the saddest expressions, each of them trying to remain strong for the rest of the team. She couldn't even look at Oikawa, knowing that would further shatter her already broken heart.

       With that being said, Misaki started to pack the water bottle bag, hands shaking slightly as she grabbed the bag. The team started to head out, Misaki walking next to Kindaichi, whispering reassuring words to him as he tried to stifle his sobs.

      Then Yuda came charging out of the door that led to the stands, bawling hysterically. "You guys were awesome! You were so strong! You basically won! You won!"

     Heisuke and Sawauchi came running after him, followed by Yuki whose eyes were rather red and who looked like she was trying not to cry again.

     "Yuda, what are you talking about?" Heisuke asked as he grabbed one of Yuda's arms, the other arm being grabbed by Sawauchi.

     "Calm down!" Sawauchi said loudly. But Yuda broke free from their grasp, running towards Iwaizumi to grab him and then pat him.

      "Man...seeing Yudacchi seriously calms me down," Oikawa said plainly.

      "Yeah..." Hanamaki and Misaki said in unison, with similar slightly horrified expressions. But Misaki was utterly grateful to Yuda for breaking the stifling atmosphere that had emerged between the team.

      *

       "Can I get more noodles, Oji-san?"

        The team was now assembled at their usual ramen shop. And Oikawa had just asked for his second, large bowl of ramen. Misaki, Hanamaki and Yuda all stared at him with a surprised look on their faces.

       "Seriously?" Hanamaki voiced out his shock. "Sensei already treated us to food earlier."

       "Shut up! I need to eat right now!" Oikawa said, small chunks of food flying out of his mouth and hitting Hanamaki.

        "Eww!" Misaki said with disgust as she turned her attention back to her own bowl of ramen. "Don't talk with food in your mouth, Oikawa!"

         Behind them, at another table, Kindaichi was sobbing and sitting next to him, Yuki was patting his back.

        "I couldn't get the ball to you, Matsukawa-san..."

         "Kindaichi, blow your nose," Matsukawa said. Taking the opportunity, Yuki handed him the spare packet of tissue that she kept in her pocket.

        "Where's Kunimi and Kyoutani?" Iwaizumi asked as he ate his bowl of ramen.

        "They went home," Matsukawa replied.

         Eventually, the team was finished with their ramen and the third years bid goodbye to their juniors, all of them ready to go home. Oikawa, though, was cursing constantly. And as per the count maintained by Matsukawa, he had already said 'shit!' fifty-three times.

        "Well, shit, I am pissed off," Oikawa said angrily. "We definitely had a team that could've made it to nationals this time."

        "Well, even if we made it," Hanamaki said. "We might have gotten our asses kicked right when we got there."

         "No way!" Oikawa argued back with a glare. "Makki! Quiet being obsequious!"

         "You're being a little too pessimistic," Misaki remarked. In return, Hanamaki poked her shoulders lightly. The sun was setting and the sky was painted a beautiful orange and gold, but who was paying attention to it? Because the only things on their minds at this point could be the loss they had faced.

          But all of them were putting on a brave face.

          *

          "Cheer up, Hajime," Yuda said in a rather cheery voice. The boy in question had an intense glare on his face and really, if his looks could kill, someone would already be dead, many times over.

          "Your forehead wrinkles are way too intense right now," Yuda continued.

          "I know, damn it!" Iwaizumi hissed in anger.

           But then Oikawa started speaking. "Sawamura-kun's receives, Baldy's follows, Goatee's spikes, Watacchi's receives, Kyouken-chan's follows, Tobio's direct attacks and Kindaichi's blocks...everyone was giving 120 percent back there. But in the end, Karasuno was just slightly above us! Just a little bit!"

         He stopped walking, turning around to face Iwaizumi. "But most of all, Iwa-chan, you should praise yourself for hitting that set with absolutely perfect timing"

      "This pisses me off even more because both the toss and my timing were absolutely perfect!" Iwaizumi yelled angrily.

       "Yeesh, you don't have to yell so loud," Misaki muttered under breath. Next to her, Heisuke nodded in agreement.

        "Damn straight!" Oikawa said loudly. "But you should yell at me more for not being able to get that last ball even though I reacted to it. I'm way more pissed off!"

        Without even replying, Iwaizumi punched Oikawa, sending him spinning through the air.

       "Why are you guys competing over this?" Matsukawa asked.

       "Ooh, nice spin," Hanamaki said.

        Taking in their surroundings, Misaki realised they were at a very familiar place. When they actually should be on their way home. "Did you guys notice where we are right now?"

        *

         With its turned on and the balls scattered across the court, the Aoba Johsai gym was a familiar sight. But somehow...somehow...

       "How the hell did you guys convince me to play with you all?" Misaki panted heavily, clutching at her sides. "I'm gonna end up throwing up all the food I just ate."

       "Me too. I'm definitely going to puke up my ramen..." Hanamaki said, sounding a little breathless.

        On the other side of the court, Oikawa performed one of his usual jump serves that simply bounced off Matsukawa's hands.

        "Oikawa!" Matsukawa angrily yelled. "Stop spiking for real!"

        Next to him, Iwaizumi was clutching at his stomach. "My sides hurt."

        Misaki snickered a little, before wincing in pain herself. Again, just how did she end up playing volleyball with the boys? She didn't know the answer to the question. But really, she didn't mind it at all.

       "We should have grabbed some of the first or second-years," Hanamaki said, panting slightly. "We don't really have enough with just the third years."

        "Let them get their rest," Heisuke said, from the opposing side of the net.

        Hours later, when the sun had completely gone down, the third years finally stopped playing. Strangely, through this short while of playing, Misaki was beginning to think that she could be a good libero. She had even managed to receive one of Oikawa's serves (just one though) and set it to a great spot for Makki to set. But then again, in her own words, she was 'a lazy bitch with zero athletic skills' and actually playing was not for her.

       "We should probably start cleaning up, or someone's gonna come by soon," Iwaizumi said, as he took a sip of water. Misaki nodded in agreement.

      "And I'm not sure I'll be able to convince them this time around," She added.

       And so, all the third years, including Misaki, finally got to cleaning the gym. She walked over to the net, helping Hanamaki pull it down. The two had done this together before and were surprisingly in sync. Grinning at him, Misaki poked him with the red and white stick that they used to help bring down the net, eliciting a sharp wince for him. He grinned back before lightly pinching her cheeks. Engrossed in their own talks, neither of them or the others noticed how Oikawa had slowly stepped away from the group.

       Suddenly, he called out to everyone. "Guys, do you have a second?"

        Everyone turned to their captain. The first to realize was Hanamaki, who immediately said, "Hey don't do it! We're trying to end this on a good note! Let's just let everything end peacefully!"

        "Shut up!" Oikawa cried, tears filling up in his eyes. In a deep breath and a loud voice, he said, "Thank you for the last three years!"

         He bit his bottom lip, trying to stop his sobbing as the tears spilled over. Misaki immediately averted her eyes, as hot tears fell out of them. Around her, everyone was in the same state. The emotions that she had chosen to keep buried suddenly poured out and she hated the sound of the sobs leaving her mouth. She tried to wipe the tears away, but seeing her teammates crying, only made more come out.

         "Damn it, I told you.." Hanamaki's voice wavered.

         Misaki clenched her hands at her sides and took in a deep breath. She had to say it; it was important for the boys to hear. She bowed her head, not even caring if they were noticing her or not. "Thank you so much for choosing me as your manager! I really really enjoyed it so much!"

         The floor blurred as more tears filled her eyes, but she didn't wipe them away anymore, letting them freely flow. It didn't take too long for Oikawa to walk towards her and wrap her into a hug. Soon enough, Hanamaki, Matsukawa and Iwaizumi join in. Sawauchi, Heisuke and Yuda also join in. The third years were now all wrapped up in a group hug, all of them crying in each other's arms.

        It was going to be a strange night tonight as they would leave the gym, knowing it would be the last time they would ever be here. Their tears would stop for now, but when they would get home, all the third years knew they would be an emotional mess.

        But as long as they were with each other, things would still be slightly better.

       After a conversation with Iwaizumi, where he called Oikawa the 'absolute best setter', which Oikawa would never let him forget,and Misaki made him a promise that he'd be the first person she interviewed, he had wanted to go home. But...

       "I have something for you." was all Misaki said to Oikawa as she asked to stay with her alone. Now, they were walking towards the park. Their park, Misaki had jokingly called it. But in a way, this park had become their spot.

        The park at night was no different from the day, except it was a lot quieter and completely empty. Oikawa was looking at Misaki expectantly, quietly wondering what she had dragged him here for. She led him to the bench, motioning for him to sit down.

       "Misa-chan, you are acting really suspicious, you know?" Oikawa said as he settled down on the bench. "Don't tell me you killed someone and need help hiding the body."

        "What? No!" Misaki gave him an outraged look as she reached into her backpack, looking for something. "If I ever killed someone, which I won't, I won't tell you because you'll talk and then I'll get arrested."

        Oikawa dramatically gasped. "Misa-chan! I would never!"

       "Somehow, I find that hard to believe."

       "I'm going to ignore that. By the way, why aren't you sitting down? Oh. Is it because you want to-"

       "No, Oikawa. I'm not sitting in your lap even if you pay me a thousand yen and buy me the next three volumes of my favorite manga."

        Misaki stuck her tongue out at him, snickering at the pouty look on his face. She swiped her hands across the clipboard till her fingers caught the two things she was looking for. Taking a deep breath, she dropped to the ground, sitting cross-legged on the dirty ground in front of the bench.

        "Oi! Misa-chan, get up from the ground! You're gonna get your uniform dirty!" Oikawa leaned forward and grabbed her arm, trying to pull her up. "What are you doing?!"

        "Shut up!" Misaki refused to meet his eyes as she pulled herself out of his grasp. "Just let me do it like this."

        "Do what?"

        "If you were quiet, you'd get to know. Now, shut up and hold out your hand."

        "I'm very confused right now," Oikawa said, but nevertheless he held out his right hand, putting it over his knee. Misaki reached over and opened her clenched fist, dropping them into his palm.

       "What-?" Oikawa's sentence died down in his throat as he noticed exactly what Misaki had dropped into his hand. Two simple silver bands. Rings, to be more precise. Trying not to freak himself out further than he already was, he asked, in a slightly shaky voice. "Um, Misa-chan, if you're trying to propose, I'm all for saying yes, but don't you think we are too young to get married?"

       "These are not engagement rings, you stupid-!" Misaki's face was now fully covered in a dark blush and she turned her head away, looking very embarrassed. "They're promise rings. Promise rings."

        "Why are you giving me a promise ring though? And are these actual silver?!"

       "No, you dumbass! Of course, they're not real silver. We're still in high school, do you think we can actually afford to buy real silver? They're just silver painted."

        "But why-?"

        "Let me finish, will you?" Misaki took in a deep breath and met his eyes straight on, with a very determined look. "I'm sure you already know this, but promise rings are usually given when you wanna give meaning to your promises, not that they already don't have meaning. So this is," she motioned towards the rings in his hands. "My promise to you. That I'll come to Argentina to be with you. Once, I'm a little established in my own career, of course. Or maybe when I start that podcast I've been thinking of. But yeah, the rings are a promise. A promise, that even when there are thousands of miles of ocean and land separating us, that we aren't gonna break apart and we'll love each other, even through the huge distance between us. And we can switch these out for engagement rings later, which is totally up to you, if you, you know, wanna spend the rest -"

        Oikawa suddenly slid off the bench, tackling her into a very tight hug. The rings were safely held in his hands. He was not going to cry at all; he'd done enough of it earlier. But he swore his heart would burst with the amount of love and admiration he had for Misaki. "I hate you, stupid Misa-chan. You do the exact thing that makes me love you even more and it's so annoying. But I don't mind it. This hopeless romantic side of yours is what I love the most about you. You should be more like this."

        "Yeah no," Misaki mumbled, hands grabbing at the back of his jacket. "I have to maintain my street cred. And Makki and Mattsun will make fun of me and that'll get annoying so..."

         "I love you, stupid Misa-chan."

         "Love you too, Idiotkawa."

          Just to rile her up, Oikawa pressed a kiss to her neck before pulling away. Sniffling a little, he reached for her left hand and then slipped one of the rings on her index finger. The other ring, he slipped onto the index finger of his right hand. The promise was now made.

         "Let's go home now," He said, reaching for her left hand with his right. Misaki nodded, smiling at him. She squeezed his fingers gently as they both stood up from the ground.

         "Yeah, let's go home."

me, while writing this chapter and watching the entirety of the seijoh match again:

me, while writing the ending scene with Misaki and Oikawa:

I CAN'T BELIEVE WE ARE SOO CLOSE TO THE END 😭😭 

This chapter was honestly a very intense one to write, especially because of the loss. As much as I love my crows, I really wanted Seijoh to win and go to the Nationals. Uggh, why does Haikyuu make me love all the teams so much? 😢😣

If you're wondering why I didn't write the match in the chapter, I originally had included it but the chapter became too long and a little boring so I decided to remove it. But my favorite part of this chapter was definitely the ending scene; I was looking forward to writing it for a while and I think I did it pretty well. 

I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter! Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!

COUNTDOWN: 3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123K 4.9K 62
[Complete; 200k+ words] One way or another, the Makoshima children have been dogged by misfortune ever since the beginning. Different people cope in...
245K 5.9K 48
After reuniting with your twin brother and meeting all his friends you only fall for one. Started~ Marโ€ข11โ€ข2021 Ended~ Julyโ€ข22โ€ข2021 #1 Aoba Johsai #4...
270K 8.7K 62
๐™›๐™š๐™ข!๐™ง๐™š๐™–๐™™๐™š๐™ง ๐™ญ ๐™๐™–๐™ž๐™ ๐™ฎ๐™ช โ™ก โฝแตƒแตˆสฒโพ แตสธหขแต—แต‰สณโฑแต’แต˜หข แตƒโฟแตˆ แต‰โฟแต—สณแตƒโฟแถœโฑโฟแต; แต‡แต‰สธแต’โฟแตˆ แต’สณแตˆโฑโฟแตƒสณสธ แต˜โฟแตˆแต‰สณหขแต—แตƒโฟแตˆโฑโฟแต โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•*๏ฝกโ…*โ‹†โ‹โœง โœฆ โœงโ‹โ‹†*โ…๏ฝก*โ•โ•โ•โ•โ• โ” ๐—œ๐—ก ๐—ช๐—›...
943K 25K 40
-๐ก๐š๐ฃ๐ข๐ฆ๐ž ๐ข๐ฐ๐š๐ข๐ณ๐ฎ๐ฆ๐ข ๐ฑ ๐Ÿ๐ž๐ฆ!๐ซ๐ž๐š๐๐ž๐ซ -in which y/n kindaichi joins aoba johsai's volleyball team as a third-year manager. along the...