𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

( — TWELVE ; SAYONARA IN PAPER )

(This is a short chapter, because it's like a transition between the next chapter and the future of the story)

BLOWING the ink dry, I held up the paper with pride, looking at it from all angles. Neji always said I had a pretty handwriting, and that was why I wrote four different letters to four different people.

To my family,
   Hey everyone, it's me, Mila. I know that by the time you're reading this, I'm probably already in my next life. You can't read this until I am. But when you do, I want you guys to know that I love you all so, so much.
   Ever since that demon attacked us and killed Subaru, I always felt as if I had to protect you guys now. I know it's Akime's duty, being the older daughter she is, but she has a life of her own too. My life is you, everyone.
   If I'm dead, do not pin the blame on Mitsuri. She has sheltered me in the times when I strengthened myself to fight off demons, and I could not be more grateful to her.
   Please, if you are reading this, do not burden yourself with my loss. Move on. Discover new things. Make it worth it.

With lots of love,
Kanata Mila

To Mitsuri,
   Nee-san, I really would like to thank you for taking me in as your own little sister. Your sweetness has greatly affected my life, in a good way. You're my inspiration, honestly.
   If you are reading this and you are still alive, I'm sorry for not using the skills you taught me enough. I'm sorry for not being good enough in battle. Please forgive me. I don't want you to be disappointed in me.
   I know that, even if I'm not here anymore, you still have Iguro-san and Shinobu-san with you. You won't be lonely in any life, I promise you that.

Love,
Kanata Mila-your dearest tsuguko

To Kanao,
   I will admit it here on out: when we first met in the Final Selection, I thought that you were a dependent and — honestly — an all-around goody two shoes. But as I got to know you, you turned out to be the most amazing girl I've ever been friends with. I cherish the moments where we simply drank tea and enjoyed the sight of the purple wisteria trees. I hope your smile never fades away. Continue being the happy butterfly girl, 'kay?

With the butterflies of the world,
Kanata Mila

To Muichiro,
   Hey, Mui. You're probably wondering why I'm writing you a letter even though I'm long gone from here. I hope you're doing fine — I'll be watching you from up there or down here, ya know!
   Mui, I'll say it here on out: I love you a lot. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me, and take it from me when I say that nothing good has ever happened in my life before. You're a blessing, mist boy.
   I love you a lot. Dang, I really like saying that. It sounds so ethereal, don't you think so?
   Muichiro, you're a wonderful person. You've made me admire you so much that you make me want to look up to you. I want you to know that with each breath you take, I'll be with you. Nothing will ever change that.
    You are way too precious to be born in a wretched world like this, Tokitou Muichiro.
    So let's meet in our next life soon.

Loving always,
Kanata Mila

° • ° • ° • °

CONTENTMENT arising in me, I tucked the envelopes inside my drawer, where I knew no one would scuffle through. They were tokens of my gratitude to the people who supported me in the years of me being a demon slayer, and I would honestly give them the entire universe if I could.

But for now, I think I'll stick to writing letters.