𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲

( — TWENTY ; PAST LIVES WILL NEVER HOLD US )

MUICHIRO ran about recklessly, almost as if he was nothing else but a free bird soaring through mist. He was a seven-year-old child who loved running so much, and he did so to either get away or get somewhere.

His twin brother Yuichiro resented his overactive habits, but that didn't make him hate him any less.

Muichiro tore his way through the crowds, earning a few complaints on the way. The fireworks were coming up soon, and since it was the New Year's festival, it would be a big blast. He struggled to get through to his secret spot, a spot which he cherished.

The oak tree glistened from the moonlight reflecting in the waters, and no one hung out here because the tree was rumored to be a haunted one. Muichiro ran towards it, but suddenly tripped and lost his balance.

He waited for the cold stinging sensation of the pond water to interact with his cheeks, but it never came. Instead, a young girl's grunt was heard as she desperately tried to pull Muichiro up from the river's ledge.

"Hey, push yourself up towards me!" The girl instructed, and without hesitation Muichiro obeyed, launching himself up off of the concrete railing. The two fell back on the soft jade grass with an 'oof' and a thud, and ended up panting.

They chuckled at their actions, and Muichiro noticed that the girl was wearing a soccer jersey.

"Wait, you go to Komori Elementary? No way, are you the soccer player in Class 2-C?"

"Yeah, that's me!" The girl answered, retying her shoelaces and hugged her soccer ball against her shorts, making them dirty. "How'd you know?"

"My brother told me. You're really good at playing right? Do you want to play soccer until the fireworks start?"

"Sure, that's fun!"

The two began to kick the ball round and round the oak tree, continuous sounds of giggling and laughing were heard as they played soccer.

Suddenly, a burst of bright light shattered the darkness of the sky with many colors, and the duo looked up to see the fireworks show had began.

They sat down and observed under the wilting leaves of oak. Muichiro gazed at the girl and noticed just how pretty she looked. Her hair was really really black, with green-apple highlighted strands. She had mesmerizing eyes, and it made Muichiro attached to her immediately.

"Um, I'm Tokitou Muichiro, and you are...?"

The girl giggled, and extended her hand. Muichiro noticed that she had the same wisteria patterned ring as him, and it was on her left ring finger, just like his. He though nothing of the coincidence, and shook her hand with a huge grin on his face.

"Kanata Mila. Nice to meet you, Mui-kun."