Chapter 18

A/N: I'm sorry for the grammatical errors so far.
🤷
Please, help comment where you 👁️see👁️ one.
I appreciate your help💖.

****
Once school started, the house was fairly desolate.

The academic semester had resumed so Feifei and Lu Ching went to school in town. Jin Ruishi unfortunately did not go with them.

Lu Zhi held her daughter back from starting the semester because of shortage of cash. Chang Ying even offered her some money but she refused. Lu Zhi was adamant about saving money and waiting till the outcome of their meeting with the factory owner.

If everything went well, then Jin Ruishi could still start school that semester. If things did not go well, then Chang Ying's savings would be very crucial for the young couple's livelihood. Lu Zhi even went as far as to hint that Chang Ying should save it for her natal care in case she got pregnant.

In this manner, Chang Ying had to choice but to acquiesce. While everyone else went out to work, Chang Ying was left at home with Grandpa Lu and Jin Ruishi.

Grandpa Lu was not a noisy, boisterous person. He spent his day quietly taking care of the chickens and strolling out to gather small food for snacks, so Chang Ying did not bother his serene lifestyle. Instead she took on the task of looking after Jin Ruishi and teaching the little girl to read, write and do basic arithmetic.

Jin Ruishi had already been taught attentively by her little uncle, Lu Ching, her mother and grandmother. She already had a good foundation that was way ahead of her peers. Chang Ying had it easy,she did not have to be tense and strict so she and the little girl got even closer.

A few days later, Lu Chen had already gathered a the things on the list. Chang Ying inspected all the ingredients one by one them kept them in their mud house, away from prying eyes.

After all, she did not want Feifei to notice this early on that her actions were completely different from before.

That morning, she simply used some sugar to make some caramel to use later. Then she waited till Feifei and everyone else went out as usual before she took the basket of ingredient to the kitchen and started to make the add syrup.

The syrup was the lifeblood of the drink. After preparation, the syrup would be thick and concentrated. This syrup could then be diluted with water to make the drink.

First, she cut one lemon, one lime and two oranges. Then she carefully juiced them into a bowl. After extracting all the liquid, she took another small bowl and grated the zest of the fruits into fine bits.

After that, she put one cup of water into a pot on fire. Then she added the grinded fruit zest to the pot.

With that part done, she picked a large cinnamon stick, broke it into smaller pieces and added it to the pot. Then she picked up two more large cinnamon sticks, broke them and added to the pot.

Chang Ying measured two teaspoons coriander seed into the pot. While the water began to heat up on the fire, she went outside and brought back a tray. On the tray, there were peels of bitter orange, she had dried them under the hot sun. She cut the peel into thin strips and threw the dried strips into the pot.

Then she carefully grated some nutmeg and added a generous pinch to the warming pot.

She opened a small paper sachet. This sachet was small but it was the most difficult to procure. Lu Chen did not know how to go about getting this thing at first. Lu Zhi had to secretly meet the procurement manager of the factory to get her hands on this small sachet.