Chapter 8

The sun was already shining brightly outside when Chang Ying opened her eyes.

She yawned lazily and stretched out her limbs when she felt a sharp pain in her left arm. She winced and grasped her hand. Around her fair hand was a clean white bandage.

Like a flood, the memories of the previous day poured into her mind.

Yesterday...yesterday, she was reborn.

She recalled everything. Before her rebirth, she had lived in shame, poverty and with the stigma of a loose woman. But it all changed yesterday, the past even felt like a dream.

Chang Ying looked around the room. It was a simple mud house with zinc roof, but it was incredibly neat inside. The floor was swept clean, the clothes were arranged into a large trunk-box and a few articles of clothing were neatly hung on the wall. Chang Ying sighed, at this time, she had been married and living in the Lu household for a month.

Before her rebirth, at this age, she was still young and a bit careless. She would never have taken time to arrange this small sleeping area like this. It had to be Lu Chen who did this.

Chang Ying sighed in part relief and part disbelief. He was still her husband when she woke up this morning.

Chang Ying stood up, put on her slippers and went outside the small mud house. Immediately she saw two little runts, one big, one small, sitting outside her door.

The big runt was in his early teens. He had a pale, beautiful face like a cherub. If he came from a better household in the future, he would definitely have become a child star. His small face looked like a softer, mini-version of Lu Chen. Regrettably, his complexion was sickly and dull from his poor health.

The other child was a small, thin girl, about half the height of the boy. She had dull, yellowed skin from malnutrition. The clothes on both children were old and patched hand-me-downs. It was obvious the little girl's outfit was inherited from a boy, but at her age, it was still passable.

Chang Ying quickly recalled these two children. The boy was Lu Chen's younger brother, Lu Ching. And the girl was Lu Chen's niece, Jin Ruishi.

Lu Ching was around thirteen years old but he had always been sickly. The family spent a good amount of its earnings treating this boy each time the seasons changed. But fortune gave the family a little sweetness with this child, Lu Ching was very brilliant. Even though he only studied in the village school, his middle school entrance exam score was among the top in the surrounding region.

Though the family still struggled, they had great expectations of this child. Even more so, after Lu Chen had to drop out of school to work full time in order to ease the family's burden. Since Lu Chen could not finish school, they all hoped Lu Ching could finish his education and get a respectable job.

Unfortunately...

Chang Ying looked at the boy pitifully. Lu Ching had great prospects but he died before the age of sixteen. She remembered very clearly because she had saw him at the restaurant she was working at the time. He looked both shocked and sad when he saw her. She recalled his handsome face had matured a bit and he looked even more like Lu Chen then. Afterwards, it was very shocking when she heard he suddenly passed away a week later.

The small girl, Jin Ruishi, she did not know much. Jin Ruishi, fondly called Xiaorui, was the daughter of Lu Chen's elder sister, Lu Zhi. As for the father of the child, Chang Ying was not too sure herself.

The children looked at her and kept a cautious distance.

"Sister Ying, my brother said you should let us run any errand you want today. If you are hurting too, Xiaorui can go to the doctor's house to tell him. Brother also said you should not stress yourself." Lu Ching avoided her eyes as he spoke and his tone was a bit perfunctory.