Chapter 23

When Lu Chen and Chang Ying made it to the village, the veil of night had already shrouded the sky.

Grandpa Lu, Mo Yue and the rest of the family had spread out dinner but nobody had touched the food.

When Lu Chen and Chang Ying walked in, the entire family welcomed them with happy smiles. Lu Zhi had already informed them of what happened in the day.

Then first thing Chang Ying saw was a bunch of relieved, happy faces. Well, save for a young teenage girl with a bitter sneer that stood at the back of the welcoming family members.

Chang Ying ignored the bitter girl and considered her to be thin air, nonexistent.  She followed Lu Chen and greeted everyone.

Mo Yue happily went to her daughter-in-law's side and said, "Lu Zhi told me Lu Chen took you to the hospital. I'm so relieved you're finally able to go. The village doctor is good but it's still better to go to a hospital. How was it, was everything fine?"

"Yes, don't worry, mother. The doctor gave Lu Chen some prescription for me. He immediately ran off to buy them. That's why we came back go late."

"Then did you get the doctor to check your wound too?" Mo Yue pressed on as she led her to the dining table.

"The doctors checked everything, mother."

Assured, Mo Yue let her sit down and passed her a bowl of water to wash her hands. Lu Chen settled down beside Chang Ying and looked at the dishes on the table.

Jin Ruishi shifted uncomfortably in he chair. "Mommy, Uncle Chen is back. Can we eat now?" Her soft, milky voice called out.

Everyone chuckled, they were all hungry. Even Lu Ching who had a sickly hue could not help but pick his lips eagerly.

The mouthwatering aroma of roast duck had been assaulting their olfactory senses for hours. They were already ready to pounce on the meat and devour it but as adults,they had to politely hold back. The little girls refreshing, straightforward words spoke their minds and bellies.

Lu Zhi clicked her tongue and tried to hide her smile. "Little girl, have you thanked your aunty for bringing tasty food for you?"

Jin Ruishi ran to Chang Ying's side and hugged her thighs. She looked up and gave her a happy, gap-toothed grin. "Aunty brought good good for Xiaorui, thank you!"

Joyful laughter echoed around the dinning area as they all quickly took their places at the table.

Pieces of roast duck and side dishes from the restaurant were served on the table and paired with some stir-fried vegetables they made at home.

The family happily ate, and Lu Zhi chattered excitedly about all the gorgeous exciting things she saw at the mall. Her voice flowed throughout the meal with the others adding in gasps of awe and exclamation here and there. The dinner was smooth and lighthearted. Chang Ying nearly forgot about the existence of that Feifei.

Feifei's eyes never left Chang Ying. Every time Lu Chen quietly asked her if she wanted something or put a slice of meat or vegetable in Chang Ying's plate, her black, grape irises heated up with a dark flame. 

Then while everyone was attentively listening to Lu Zhi babbling about the escalator machine, Feifei's soft, high-pitched voice cut in, "Sister Ying, we all heard the good news that you sold your drink recipe for a good amount of money. How much did you sell your recipe for?"

Chang Ying smirked, here it came. This Feifei looked like she had eaten rotten fruit since she entered the house. Chang Ying guessed that the girl must have been simmering since Lu Zhi told them the good news.