Chapter Thirteen

~ Cole ~

Piper Enzo lived in one of the classier estates in town.

Cole turned off the main road onto a street named Sherwood Avenue. Great oak trees lining the sidewalk created a lush canopy, giving the illusion of a tunnel as one drove through the pristine neighbourhood.

Night had fallen hours ago but time was as young as Cole. He had an evening arranged and was only scheduled to pick Piper up after nine.

The blue-haired girl had pushed, demanding to know where they were going but Cole didn't budge.

He wasn't worried about disappointing Piper nor did he doubt his ability to select the perfect hang-out spot. It was just more fun to lord the information over the determined girl. No one ever had a good time giving away the keys to the kingdom.

The GPS directed Cole to take a left and then two rights, leaving him pulling up in the driveway of a charcoal Victorian style, cookie-cutter house with white trim and manicured lawn. Rose bushes lined the porch and stone pillars supported the cascading roof.

"What the fuck," Cole muttered as he cut the engine.

A silver knocker was placed in the centre of the door in lieu of a doorbell. Cole ignored it and rapped his knuckles once against the thick wood before stepping back to wait, hands shoved in the pockets of his jeans.

Whatever Cole was expecting to appear on the other side, it certainly wasn't this.

The door slowly creaked partly open to reveal a blonde girl dressed head to toe in gothic black. Silver chains hung off her cheer skirt and the soles of her boots had to be at least three layers thick. Her blue eyes were sunken with intense shades of black eyeshadow and eyeliner shaped like a batwing to match. The tee she wore had a screaming horror face plastered across the front. Any skin left exposed was decorated with fishnet.

"Can I help you?" The girl croaked.

"I'm here for Piper."

The blonde raised a tinted eyebrow. "You're not one of the usuals who come here. Where's Smurf Face and McDuffy?"

Cole had no idea who Smurf Face or McDuffy were so he lifted one shoulder in a shrug. "Just me."

"Doughhead."

"Come again?"

The girl jerked her chin roughly in the direction of the driveway. "Spring Creek don't drive cars like that."

"Guess that makes me special."

"Delusional."

Cole scoffed. "I'm sorry?"

The blonde narrowed her eyes to slits. She looked like a viper. "Don't want your money. Leave. Before he sees."

"Who?"

"Him." Her eyes went wide like black orbs. "He sees everything. He knows what you've done."

"Daylight robbery for a tank of fuel?"

"He knows all." Ink black nails scraped across the doorway. "He will rid this world of infestation. He will cleanse our souls so we may be enlightened once more. Mark my words, doughead. He's watching you. He's watching us all."

Cole sighed wonderfully. "Man, I wanna be what you're on."

"Skye."

From behind the door, Piper came into view at the top of the wooden staircase. She descended elegantly before coming to a stop beside the girl in the doorway. Sliding a black leather jacket over her tank top, she shook out her blue-tipped curls and glanced at the blonde. "You're not trying to bring Cole into your end-of-the-world theories, are you? Honey, we talked about this. Invite them in first. Have a cup of tea. You know, mingle."