Chapter Thirty-Two

~ Cole ~

Cole was utterly perplexed as he threw open the car door and climbed out

Cole was utterly perplexed as he threw open the car door and climbed out. He met Adam at the hood, the other boy grinning as he looked up at the deteriorating house.

Adam turned to him. "Now would be a great time to tell me if you're scared of ghosts."

Cole scoffed. "I can't recall doing anything that would give you that impression."

"Great," Adam's smile widened, "because this is said to be the most haunted house in the state."

Cole looked up the house. Yes, the outside was weathered, but it didn't strike him as a place of malice. "This place?"

Adam laughed. "Yeah. It was built by the Crawley family in 1912, but they moved out only six years later after continuous reports of hearing noises in the walls. The family claimed to hear banging and scratching at night, as well as witnessing strange events they couldn't explain, such as all the cups levitating in the kitchen. It was rumoured that one of the construction workers had an accident and was killed on-site. The building company covered it up to avoid a lawsuit, but the working theory is that the construction worker's spirit remains in the house and torments anyone who enters it. I've been inside several times."

Cole blinked. "You don't strike me aas the ghost hunter type."

"Oh, I'm not." Adam waved a hand in dismissal. "Piper's roommate used to drag us out here all the time. She was convinced that she'd see a spirit if she waited long enough. She even camped here overnight until the police caught her trespassing."

Cole shook his head. "So, let me get this straight. Your best friend's weird occultist roommate used to drag you out to see a supposedly haunted house, camp out overnight and wait for a ghost to appear, and break the law by trespassing on private property?"

Adam shrugged. "Yeah, pretty much."

"I don't know what to say to that." Cole said. Then, "How did you even come up with this?"

If Cole was being honest, he hadn't known what to expect when Adam asked to take him on a date. He assumed it would be something simple such as dinner and a movie. Cole hated every fibre of cliche date ideas (probably because he'd never been on one), but would do it if it made Adam happy.

Apparently, he'd misinterpreted the other boy.

Adam chuckled and glanced back at the house over his shoulder before looking at Cole. There was a gleam in his eyes as he said, "You strike me as having a sense of adventure."

"And you don't strike me as the kind who walks into abandoned houses in the middle of nowhere." Cole replied, not unkindly. "So much for the Good Boy facade."

"Yeah, well," Adam hooked his thumbs in his jeans pockets and gazed roguishly at Cole. "Guess we're not quite passed getting to know one another yet. Now c'mon."