Birthday Surprises

About two months after Emilie and Samual eloped, Emilie's twenty-second birthday rolled around. She was expecting to just sort of sweep it beneath the rug and instead have a normal day and just maybe he could cook her dinner. Emilie woke up in a good mood and was in a good mood for most of the day, then he came home, ignored his wife, and went to sleep. He had forgotten. This soured her mood, she heated up some leftovers and went to settle on the couch. A thought crossed her mind,

I wonder if Beth is there?

She called up Benny's number, a cold "What?" came from the other end.

"Hello? I'm just trying to reach Beth,"

"Emilie? She went back to Kentucky,"

"Since when?"

"Since Paris and she lost to Borgov again," there was a rushed politeness in his voice, like he just wanted to get this conversation over with.

"Oh."

"You really shouldn't call here again,"

"Yeah sorry it's just-"

"Don't it's fine it's just-"

"I won't call again don't worry,"

"Happy Birthday by the way," the line went dead.

Well at least Beth was nearby, and Sam was asleep maybe she could pay her dear sister a visit.

-

"Oh my god Beth, why didn't you tell me you were back in town?" she said excitedly as soon as the door opened. Beth had a look in her eye that could only be described as hazy, and when Emilie went to hug her she could smell the nicotine and alcohol, "Beth you okay?"

"Yeah I'm great." Beth put her arm's length away, "What brings you here?"

"Well it's my birthday and when I found out you were in town, I thought we could spend it together!" Emilie put a warm smile on her face, masking her genuine concern about Beth's current state.

"Shit! Is it really? I'm sorry I didn't call things have just been really busy-"

"Yeah sure," Emilie said skeptically.

"Anyways what about Sam, last time I checked he was your husband, and you should be getting some great birthday sex tonight," Beth tried to close the door on Emilie.

"Well Sam- he uh- he was just really-" Beth cut her off,

"That cocksucker forgot didn't he!" Beth opened the door, "You need a drink,"

Emilie stepped through the threshold and was greeted by the stench, it was stronger in the house then on Beth. A lot of things were sort of hanging on by a thread like she was mid-renovations. There was a half-full glass of brown liquor on the table. Emilie went to go grab glasses, while Beth took a swig straight from the bottle. Emilie saw numerous other bottles in the trash. She put two glasses in front of them, the glasses went mainly ignored.

"Sorry I don't have a gift Emmy,"

"A gift doesn't matter, it's just nice to see you," she gave her a tight smile, after a moment she realized something, "Wait Beth... you never call me Emmy..."

"You know the last time I saw you was at Christmas," she took another drink, "Didn't know we were going to be only see each other on holidays kind of siblings,"

"Well Christmas was a bit odd and after Mother-" Emilie took the bottle from Beth and took a large swallow of liquor.

"What was that whole thing with Benny anyways?" The way she asked it almost sounded like she already knew the answer but Emilie answered in her normal way,