It's Your Fault

They didn't play chess for very long, instead they kissed until they fell asleep around midnight.

Emilie curled into the warm body next to her, arching her back off of the cold chess board they laid on top of. She woke up suddenly in Benny's arms. They were surrounded by beer bottles and chess pieces. It was early morning, seemingly slightly passed dawn.

She tried to make herself presentable, buttoning her shirt. She threw a pillow at Benny to wake him up. He couldn't seem to open his eyes, like the still dim lighting of the place was too much.

"Come on Benny, I got to get back!"

"Emilie what are you talking about?"

"It's morning! I never made it back. God, I'm never gonna hear the end of this," She said walking over to a mirror to reapply her lipstick. She picked up Benny's discarded shirt on the way.

"It's 5 a.m!" he said, groaning, putting the pillow she threw at him over his face.

She walked over whipping hit lightly with his shirt,

"I'm willing to drag you out of here and sit you in that car,"

Another groan from Benny, "Ughhh Emilie I don't care, I need sleep!"

"Fine I'm taking your car and driving myself!"

"Ok fine!" he said, getting up begrudgingly. "You're scarf!" He said pointing at the fabric hanging off the chair.

"It's too late! Come on!" They rushed out of the apartment, Emilie prayed they'd get back in time.

-

On the ride back to New Jersey, Benny muttered,

"You owe me,"

Emilie wasn't having it, "I don't owe you shit, this is more your fault than anything,"

"Excuse me how?"

"You bought the beer,"

"It's not my fault you took it out fo the fridge,"

"Well maybe we would have had less stuff to do and remembered to drive back, or had been able to drive back if you didn't buy it,"

"It's not my fault drunk you just couldn't resist me," he said winking at her.

"We didn't even do much," she responded swatting his arm.

"Don't hit me too hard or we might crash,"

"If you crash us and I die and you better be ready to be haunted,"

"What really would you do? Walk around under a sheet?"

"You'd never see me coming, so I have plenty of ideas,"

He rolled his eyes, "We have about forty-five minutes left on the drive,"

"Hopefully they went to sleep late and I'll be able to sneak in,"

"Since you got an article in Chess Review you gonna try and do it again?"

"I mean I guess, the last day of the tournament is today, I can write about Beth and whatever high ranking person she's going to beat,"

"You should, I read the actual article and it was actually good,"

Emilie was too tired to really respond so she just smiled and leaned her head on his shoulder.

-

"I hope to see you soon," she said as he parked in the hotel parking lot.

"Don't yearn for my presence too hard, don't forget to live life without me," was the cocky, sarcastic response he came up with early in the morning.

"You annoying, annoying boy," she rolled her eyes.

"Excuse me, I'm a man," she mockingly scoffed and started to walk away, her undone hair swaying slightly.

"Call me," Benny yelled after her

"Not if you keep up with that manly attitude,"

"Well you still haven't written me back,"

"I haven't received any letters,"

"I've written many,"

"You have my right address right?"

"Yes I do, its exactly the address you wrote for me,"

"Well-" she was quiet, still unsure why she hadn't received them, "I guess I will call you."

He simply nodded at her, "Bye Harmon,"

Emilie really wanted to get the last word in, "If I get caught coming in this morning, it's your fault and you are never living it down,"

"See you soon, Emmy,"