Finally

Everyone anxiously awaited the results.

Everyone had their own way of releasing whether it was tapping your foot against the floor in anticipation or holding on to someone's hand a little tighter than normal.

-

-

-

-
-

-

-

-

-

The phone rang.

The room tensed. Benny answered it in silence listening to the news on the other end. He was quiet but then looked around at the rest of the room nodding his head.

Harry shouted, "She won!!!!" and everyone erupted in celebration, there was screaming and squealing. People were high-fiving each other, tackling each other. It was quite the sight.

This trip and process, and the work they had done had been validated. Much more importantly, there was a new world chess champion, and it was someone who they knew, cared about, and loved. There was a general aura of pride within the room as people couldn't contain their excitement.

Once everyone was done screeching they sat down, all with massive grins.

"What do you guys want to eat? My treat," Benny said.

"No, my treat," Hilton tried to pull out his wallet.

"No, mine," Mike and Matt said simultaneously.

"Well it ain't gonna be mine," Emilie said resting her head on Benny's shoulder, "but I will help clean up this table so there is space for the food,"

Many laughs were shared that day.

-

"I'm going to miss all of you guys," Emilie, Harry, Mike, and Matt were all flying back to their respective homes.

Emilie tried to pull all of them into a group hug and was successful despite some whining about manliness.

Emilie thought she might cry but was trying her best to keep it under wraps. They were going in separate cars because they wouldn't all fit in one. Mike and Matt were driving with Arthur because they had become good friends. That group exited first because they wanted to stop by somewhere on the way. Harry was driving with Hilton. They left about half an hour after the first group. Emilie had noticed they left the apartment hand in hand.

That left Benny and Emilie like had happened so many times before, they were about to leave right after Harry and Hilton but Emilie was reminded by a picture on the fridge.

"I adore you and I simply never want to be without you!" She announced dramatically.

"What?"

"Truly,"

"Emilie what are you doing?"

"God I'm trying to be romantic but I'm failing miserably," she ran up and kissed him, "I love you, Benny Watts,"

She started pacing as she talked and he was still in shock.

"Benny, I loved you since... God since before all the bullshit. I loved you since I- Since I fucked everything up with my own stuff,"

"Emilie..."

"No let me finish first," She took a deep breath. "Benny Watts, I remember most things, but I can't remember exactly when it started. I can't remember a time when I didn't love you."

She still couldn't breathe. She had so much she wanted to say. "And I'm sorry. I'm sorry for being a bitch to you, I'm sorry about leaving whenever I got scared. I'm sorry for just- shit. I'm really bad at this,"
"Emilie?"

"Mhm?" He grabbed her hands and sat her down.

"Okay, try and talk now,"

"I finally read the letters," she said softly, " I know it's been forever since I got them, but i always had an excuse why I shouldn't read them. I still brought them with me, because- oh I don't know why but I felt like I should. Then I got here and everything got complicated and I finally read them,"

"Okay..." He said soothingly, stroking the top of her hand with his thumb.

"Well, I was about to just go on with my business, assuming I had just missed my window, but then I saw the picture on the fridge, and then I could see two futures for me. One where I was with you, and I was happy and I couldn't- I don't want to picture one without you," She took her hands out of his grasp so that she could hold his hands as she asked this, "Benny Watts, I know I've been a piece of shit and I'm super late but I love you and I'm really hoping you still love me."

He took his hand out and moved to cup her face. She leaned into his hand slightly.

"Emmy, you're so smart but if you think I still don't love you after all of this," He smirked, "You're a bit dense," He booped her on the nose and smiled.

"I love you with my whole being," she whispered

"Right back at you, but you got to speed up Shakespeare. As much as I love hearing elaborate declarations of love, you're gonna miss your flight if we don't leave soon,"

"I'm not leaving,"

"Emilie..."

"What? Can you blame me? After all of this, I'm not doing long distance again,"

"What about Beth?"

"She's still in Russia and will be for the next couple of days and I can tell her to come to New York instead of going to Kentucky,"

He chuckled, shaking his head before reaching over to kiss her. Emilie in response got up and moved to sit in his lap needing to be closer to him. Benny laughed some more, one more level up and he'd be giggling like a teenage girl.

"Come on don't laugh!," she swatted at his shoulder, looking at him with a wide smile, "After all the bullshit, I finally get to be with you, I'm taking every opportunity,"