Chapter 25

Only you know me the way you know me
Only you forgive me when I'm sorry
Even when I mess it up
There you are

Only you know me the way you know meOnly you forgive me when I'm sorryEven when I mess it upThere you are

"Can I hold your hand, please?" I ask Harry and start twirling my hair around my finger.

You need to calm down, Nadine.

He comes closer to me and intertwines our hands, bringing them to his mouth and leaving a kiss on the back of my trembling palm.

His little gestures never fail to bring me some mental peace. Hugs, kisses on the forehead, small touches; physical affection has always been an important thing in our friendship even from the start.

"Are you nervous?" Harry asks me, caressing my arm while we stay in front of the place Adelia and I have decided to meet up.

I finally let my guard down, after so many pep talks from Harry, and I called her asking her to meet up somewhere. My pettiness has got me nowhere and we have been friends for too many years to just give up now.

"Is it that obvious? I just want things to be back to normal. I'm tired of this atmosphere we have created between us. We've been friends for years and I won't let this stupid fight get in the middle of our friendship. I want to get it done already."

"Okay, let's go in then, but please remember that if you don't feel ready or comfortable to do this I'm just going to call her and tell her that we must have this meeting another time. Don't force yourself to do something only for the sake of someone else's happiness," he tells me and opens the door to the restaurant, following after me.

I can see Adelia with another person next to her, sitting at a table in the back, where not so many people are present. I take a deep breath and look at Harry who gives me a small smile and nods his head, signaling me to go ahead.

"Hello, Adelia," I greet her and take a seat in the chair in front of hers.

"Hi," she says but everything is so awkward between us and I try to think of a way to start the conversation but I don't know how to express my feelings and opinions without making them sound mean or rude.

"I see you brought Zayn." I notice him staying next to Adelia, their fingers interlocked on the table, just as mine and Harry's are in my lap.

Zayn is intensely looking at my face every time we meet, like he is analyzing me, trying to find out something. It kind of makes me uncomfortable but I will keep my mouth shut because I don't want to make things weird between us.

"And you brought Harry," she remarks, the corners of her mouth lifting slightly.

If Harry wouldn't have come with me today, I would have probably chickened out on the way here and overthink every little thing, blaming myself for thinking this was a good idea.

We both have emotional support on our part.

"You said you wanted to talk to me about something," she says like she has no idea of why I wanted us to see each other today.

"I don't understand why you are acting like this. I know I behaved like a child but the both of us were wrong in that situation so you don't have to rub in my face the fact that I let my pride down and after two weeks of not talking to you I did something to avoid losing one of the most important people in my life. I'm not here to fight Adelia so please don't give me any reason to do so." I bite the inside of my cheek, trying to ease my nerves and I chug my glass of water that is on the table.

I do not know if what I said made any sense but I wanted her to know how I feel so we can solve this problem faster. I know I was stupid; jealousy and the fear of losing my friend led me and I didn't think rationally, but from my point of view, she wasn't perfect either. If she had only told me before that Olympia would take part in something that felt so special and intimate to me, it wouldn't have been a problem, but of course, this didn't happen. I felt excluded like she found someone better and got rid of me immediately.

It was just a party, so why do I feel betrayed for such a silly thing? Because for me it has so much importance. Every year, I have always been the first person Adelia asked for help. I felt useful, even for planning a stupid birthday party. Every year, I wanted everything to be perfect- my best friend doesn't deserve anything less and if something was out of place I felt like I ruined my chance to show that I can be useful. For once, I wasn't meaningless.

Adelia sighs and bends over the table placing her hand over mine which is resting on the table.

"I'm sorry is just," she pauses and bites her lips, not finding the right words to express what she's feeling "I'm embarrassed by my actions. When I remember how I fucking avoided you at the party and the next two weeks because I was too afraid of having this conversation, I get a headache."

"I..," I look at Harry for some type of reassurance that everything will work out in the end and that we all are just making a big thing out of nothing, and he notices my gaze on him, mouthing some encouraging words while squeezing my hand under the table, "I don't understand something though. How come that when I was all about not dwelling over the past and forgiving Olympia you were so against that idea and then suddenly you two got so close?"

"Because I got to know her and I realized that she isn't as bad as I thought. We were in high school at that time, some stupid children. She was only 17 - she wasn't thinking."

She wasn't thinking but somehow she managed to plan something so evil for a teenage girl.

"Mhm, I see. Also, I need to apologize to you too. I acted like a bitch. I let an old grudge took over me and didn't think straight." I play with the ring on my finger, avoiding her eyes.

"I have an idea," Adelia speaks and I lift my head, finding a big smile on her face, "Let's have a girls' day. Me, you, and Olympia. We can go out and do some shopping or paint our nails..." I widen my eyes at her proposal, not expecting her to suggest something like this.

"Um..." I look at Harry and he just shrugs his shoulders. Really helpful.

"Oh, c'mon, Nadine. Some bonding time. You should really consider it, right Harry?" She brings him into the conversation and his eyes snap to hers right as he hears his name.

"Uhm...I think...I think that you may have fun but if she doesn't want to go please don't put pressure on her," he politely answers, being a gentleman as always.

How bad could it be? Going around the city, getting my nails and maybe my hair done, spending Michael's money. Sounds kinda good to me.

"Okay. I am going." Adelia's face lights up and she bends over the table, wrapping her arms around my shoulders and whispering in my ear:

"You won't regret this. I promise." Let's hope that promises aren't actually meant to be broken then.