Chapter 17

Why you gotta hug me
Like that every time you see me?
Why you always making me laugh
Swear you're catching feelings

"And after he punched the asshole we went to to the Ferris wheel and I cried like a baby," I tell Adelia as she poses for me in my art studio

She is beautiful and just perfect for a project I have in mind.

She has been my model for years and that's why I have hundreds of paintings of her, even if most of the ones I made at home were burned by my psycho father who thought I was wasting my time on them.

Everything is so much better without him.

I would rather choose to be married to a rich prick who treats me horribly than have him back. I am sure he would make my life hell.

"No way he punch-"

"Adelia, don't move."

"Okay, okay. So, Harry punched Jason and then you cried in a Ferris wheel while he was holding you?" she asks and I start adding shades on the sketch I made.

"Yes. That's what happened." Also, we almost kissed and I wish so bad it would have happened but what if after our possible kiss he wouldn't want anything to do with me? I am not gonna risk everything.

"God, you two are so obvious." She shakes her head and rolls her eyes.

"What do you mean?" I look at the drawing and erase the things I don't like about it.

"The boy is whipped and you have those disgustingly sweet puppy dog eyes every time you talk about him."

"That's not true." Well, half true. Or at least I think so. Is it that obvious that I like Harry much more than a friend should do? I could never tell him because I would just embarrass myself and think about how stupid I was at that moment, every night before I go to bed for the rest of my life.

"Yeah, keep lying to yourself. Remember that night when I came to your house and sent you to take a walk in the park?"

I kinda made a deal with myself to not think about it and the events that occurred a few days before, which made me feel that way.

"Yeah," I mumble, and the way her expression changes makes me acknowledge the fact that she knows the memories only bring me pain.

Adelia doesn't know the whole story. I can't open myself enough to talk about the trauma that night brought me, but I know she would be here for me in any case.

I don't wish what happened to me to no one. It's sad that we are in the twenty-first century and domestic violence against women is still a thing that happens every day around the world.

The worst part is that most of the victims of abuse choose to stay silent, me being one of them - with Michael and my father. Also, some people have enough courage to tell the police about it but their report is ignored or poorly taken care of.

Sadly, I don't really have a choice in what to do. Where am I supposed to go?

If I would go to the authorities, no one would believe me when in society I am portraited as the cheap slut who is sleeping around when she has at home a lovely, perfect husband who loves her with his whole heart.

Besides, Michael got connections. He is an influential man and could turn all the blame on me, to look like I am the bad guy in the equation and he is the heartbroken person who loves his wife so much that he never imagined she could do whatever thing I would be blamed for.

"Nadine, are you okay?" Adelia interrupts me from my thoughts and it's almost like I forgot she is here in the room with me.

"Yeah, yeah, what were you saying?" I turn my back to her so I can wipe my tears and hopefully she doesn't notice.

"I was telling you about when he called me while crying. Fucking crying. He knew you for less than a month and the boy poured his heart into that phone call. And keep in mind that this happened a long time ago when you barely started hanging out."

"He is just a good person, Adelia. He sees me only as his friend. You have to understand this."

"Okay. Let's say he doesn't feel anything for you, even if I am sure that's not true, but do you feel something for him?" she questions me and I stop in my tracks.

Do I have feelings for Harry or it's just a stupid crush that won't last long? Crushes come and go. You probably only like that person you call a crush because of their looks.

Either you are bored and need to have an interest in something or a topic of discussion with your friends.

When you have feelings for someone, even if you are not in love with them yet, it's a completely different situation. It's like all of the flaws of your potential lover, I may say, disappear and you see them as the sun, a perfect star shining in your life.

Stupid thoughts. I don't love Harry. I am confused because I've never seen an example of true love. My mom and dad? Toxic relationship. At least, my father was toxic.

"No. He's my friend and I care a lot about him, of course, but I could never imagine us going further than this. Love is not made for everyone. Not all of us can have a happy ending and live happily ever after. Maybe that's just my destiny. I was brought into this world to be some show-off wife and nothing more. I don't like this but I can't change fate."

"Why can't you admit it and perhaps give it a chance?"

"Because I am married, Adelia. Put yourself into my shoes and see that every path that I would choose would give me trouble," I snap at her and immediately feel bad.

She stays silent for a few moments before getting off the chair and approaching me.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to anger you. It was just my opinion and I kinda stepped over your boundaries. I shouldn't assume things about people when they told me numerous times it's not true, even if I have my crazy theories and proofs. I am sincerely sorry, Nadine."

"Don't worry about it. I acted like a bitch and I'm sorry. Let's just finish this drawing so we can watch that movie you love."

Author's Note:

I hope you liked this chapter. You are going to love the next one. <3