Chapter 27

But I love you still
I need you
More than anyone, darling
You know that I have from the start
So build me up
Buttercup, don't break my heart

But I love you stillI need youMore than anyone, darlingYou know that I have from the startSo build me up Buttercup, don't break my heart

“Are you sure you will manage things here?” Mary asks me and takes her apron off, hanging it on the wall hook.

“Yes. Everything is going to be okay. You showed me what I have to do so you don’t have to worry.” I go to the old radio we have on the counter and turn it on, the sound of a song I’ve never heard before filling the room.

“You're going to be all alone here?" she asks me and opens her arms towards me for a hug which I accept.

"No, um, Nadine is coming. I told-"

"Your girlfriend?" she asks with an excited smile on her face, pulling back but still holding me close to her body.

"Well, no. She's not my girlfriend but she will keep me company while I work." The smile fades a little off her face, but the soft expression I got used to since I started working here is present as always.

"Oh. I'm sorry for assuming you were a couple. You two seem very close." She looks away, embarrassed by her mistake, but immediately makes eye contact once again, like nothing has happened "Thank you for doing this, Harry. Really. You didn’t have to."

“No problem. I am happy to help.” I smile at her and she leaves after
bidding goodbye, leaving me all alone.

After she leaves I put the "Closed" sign on the door, starting to clean the tables, and every other thing I find just to occupy my time until Nadine comes.

She visits me quite often at work because I usually stay over after everyone leaves, to clean up and prepare everything for the next day, so I get extremely bored. After I am finished, we go to my house and hang out there or go on a walk together in the park. Nothing special; just things that would make us spend more time together.

A few moments later, I hear the bell from above the door, and the corners of my mouth lift right away.

I feel her arms sneaking around my waist, her head resting on my back, and out of instinct, I set one of my hands on hers.

"Hello there." I turn around so when my face is directed to her, she intertwines her hands at the nape of my neck.

"Hi." I grab her hips and bring her closer to me so she is staying between my legs while I lean against the table that I was cleaning a few moments ago.

"So what's the reason you are staying late this time?" she asks and drags her hands down my chest, taking a few steps back and leaving me to take her jacket off, putting it on the back of the chair under the table that I'm leaning on.

"Mary's daughter is not feeling well and she wanted to make her after the schedule ended but Emily called and told her that she needs her immediately so I offered to help her."