Ryan lied back down on the mattress with his head out of view of either of his friends, tuning them out almost completely.

Farkle wasn't in love with either of the girls.

Holy. Shit.

__

After grabbing a reference photo from Riley and several failed attempts and broken glass, Ryan had finished the portrait.

It was a portrait of Maya and Riley in the bay window. It wasn't something Ryan would put in an art gallery, but he put it in the frame it came in.

It wasn't the best piece he had ever created, but he hoped Maya would appreciate it. Her mom would, anyway.

__

It was the day of Maya's birthday and his parents had left to get the cake.

Ryan was getting some food in the kitchen when the front door opened and Shawn walked in.

"Shawn!" Ryan shouted, running and tackling his uncle. Shawn laughed, spinning them both into the couch. "Ryan, you're really getting too big to do that."

"Uncle Shawn!" Auggie screamed and bounced over the couch and landed on top of Shawn.

"Nah, I'll stop when he stops," Ryan laughed, getting up and closing the door.

"I don't think that'll happen any time soon," Shawn grunted, getting Auggie's kicking feet away from his face. Riley and Maya came out of Riley's room and greeted Shawn.

"It's her birthday, squeeze her good," Riley said when Shawn hugged Maya.

"Oh, it is? What are the big plans for today, kiddo?" He asked after hugging her. "This is it," Maya laughed.

Ryan grabbed his gift from the table behind the couch. "Maya, here's your gift."

She eyed it suspiciously, treating it like it was going to attack her.

"It's not another gag gift, is it? Because if it is I don't want it."

Ryan laughed and shook his head. "No, no. For 14 I got you a serious gift."

Maya narrowed her eyes at him before tearing into the paper. Unwrapped, it revealed the portrait in a frame against a white paper background.

Maya lifted a hand to her mouth in shock. She looked from the gift to Ryan. "Dude, this is so cool. I don't know what to say."

"Happy Birthday, Maya," Ryan said, pulling Maya into a hug. When she pulled away she showed it to Riley. "Oh, Ryan this is beautiful!"

"Thanks, Riley."

Auggie had come back from his room and handed Maya his card. "Here Maya! I worked on it in class with Ava," He said smiling. Maya took the card with a grin. She opened it and 1/2 a pound of glitter came pouring out.

On the inside was some cheesy birthday greeting in glitter glue. She hugged him tightly before kissing the top of his head. "Thanks, Auggie. I really appreciate it."

Then, Cory and Topanga came in. They were discussing hiding the cake before Maya came to surprise her, then insulted her mother.

"Ok, Maya, I'm not going to turn around because I'm all embarrassed, but you know how much I like your mother."

"I know Mr. Matthews, you always defend her."

"Because at least she's not-"

"No everything's fine, stop talking!" Topanga tried to stop him.

"Shawn's mother! Oh, it's Tuesday, better run away again!"

Ryan was fucking cackling at this point. He held onto Shawn and almost cried tears of laughter. Auggie was hitting his back, also giggling but trying to get Ryan to stop.