7.

Edited 5/30/2019

"Talk to him," Maya said. Riley shook her head. "Why? We have a great text relationship," she said. Ryan sighed.

He was with Riley and Maya in front of Maya's locker by his father's classroom. He was eating a waffle he picked up before school.

"Yeah, that's great for friends you've made online and all, but this is a dude you're into in real life. Speak. To. Him." Ryan punctuated his points with soft claps in front of his sister's face. He was so done with their heterosexual bullshit.

"Riley he's right over there!" Maya motioned her whole arm over to Lucas, who was sitting a few feet in front of them on a bench in front of the staircase.

Ryan ripped off some of his waffle and ate it, staring duly at the scene. He leaned his right side against the lockers.

"No!" Riley protested, pressing closer into the lockers, "too complicated over there, lots could go wrong over there! The only thing that can go wrong over here is if I go over there!"

Ryan scratched the side of his face, "You're too passionate about avoiding him." Riley glared at him.

"Fine." She handed her books to Maya and marched over to where Lucas was. Ryan took another bite of his waffle. "Scale of one to ten, how bad do you think this is gonna go?"

Maya sighed. "Ten."

It was a ten. Riley walked behind the boy and mouthed 'Hi' several times before... sniffing him.

"How'd I do?" Riley asked, smiling obliviously as she took her books back. Ryan gaped at her.

"You sniffed him." Maya pointed out, just as dumbfounded as Ryan. "You sniffed him is what you did."

"Riley, what the hell was that?" Ryan asked. He did not understand his sister at all sometimes.

"I walk through life the way I walk through life," Riley said, waltzing into the classroom as the bell rang.

"Riley what the fuck," Ryan said, walking in quickly after her.

"Are we not gonna talk about this?" Maya asked. A text from Riley caught her attention. "No," Maya read out loud. She rolled her eyes and put her phone away.