Platonic!IronIslander!Reader - Team

A/N - This chapter is based on the song 'Team' by Lorde. There is a little Smalljon Umber X Reader romance in there too. I hope you all enjoy it.

Winterfell during a royal visit was overwhelming. There wasn't really any other way of describing it. The staff were hectic as they worked to keep everything running smoothly, and Lady Stark was on edge the entire time. Everything would be far nicer when it all went back to normal.

You hovered around the edge of the Great Hall, watching as people drank and sung and made merry. This had never really been your scene. The heirs and graces, pretty dresses and jewellery. It was all a little too intimidating for you to feel comfortable partaking. Not that you minded watching from a distance. It was interesting seeing how people interacted with one another, how they fretted over looking so perfect in order to lure in some unsuspecting individual. 

"Good evening, My Lady." You practically choked on the wine you had been sipping when the voice interrupted your thoughts. Your eyes found the man beside you quickly, wide as you attempted to calm your fraying nerves.

"Good evening," you muttered, your voice cracking as you smoothed out your skirts. It was rare that anyone wanted to give you their attention; rare that they got a chance with the way the boys hung around you. "I'm Y/N," you added, holding out a hand in his direction. 

He took your hand in his, lifting it to his lips and pressing a soft kiss to the knuckle. "I'm aware," he told you softly, his voice lilting and melodic. "Lady Stark made it very clear that I was to introduce myself to you," he added. "I'm Jon Umber," he paused for a moment when your brow furrowed slightly. "My father is the Greatjon," he murmured.

"Oh, I wasn't aware that Lord Umber had a son," you started, slipping your hand out of his with little effort. "I'm not so well versed in Northern lords," you continued, offering him a small smile. 

"Of course not," he chuckled. "Women needn't know of such things." 

Your smile dropped quite suddenly. "Excuse me?" He looked a little taken aback by the sharpness of your voice, his own joking persona dropping into one of pure confusion. "I am not well versed in Northern Lords because I am not a Northerner, My Lord. It had nothing to do with me being a woman and I find it quite telling that you would assume such a thing." 

He nodded, swallowing deeply and shifting on the spot. "I'm sorry, My Lady, I spoke out of turn-"

"Y/N," a voice called out to you, and your smile came back in full force as you glanced up to find Theon moving through the crowd towards you. "Robb said he thought you'd be over here somewhere," he added, flinging his arm around your shoulder as he turned to grin at Lord Umber's son. "Alright Jon?" he added.

Jon nodded, still looking a little sheepish as you smiled up at him. "I ought to find my father," he murmured, excusing himself from the conversation as quickly as he could manage and drifting back into the crowd.

"Seven Hells, Y/N, what did you say to the man?" Theon chuckled, shaking his head when you rolled your eyes, allowing him to drag you into the crowd to where he and Robb had been sitting.

"Why do you assume I said anything?"

You slumped down onto one of the benches next to Robb, shifting over so that Theon could sit beside you. "Because Smalljon Umber is built like a brick shithouse and you made him look like a scared little boy."

You snorted at his comment, giving a small shrug. "I said very little, he just scares easy," you uttered, watching as Theon shook with a peel of laughter. 

"My Mother won't be pleased," Robb finally started, leaning towards you and lowering his voice. "It took a lot of effort on her part to get the Greatjon to even consider a match between his son and an IronIslander."