Anybody There?

"How did the whole, revive from the 1800s thing work?" He asked.

Not what I expected him to ask, but I wasn't complaining.

"It's really confusing, but long story short, a bunch of old spirits brought me to life again."

"Hmm, okay your turn."

I was so stressed about what question he was gonna ask me that I forgot to conjure up one of my own. I pondered in my head for a while, then I thought of a question.

"What was the prison world like?" Damon told me bits and pieces, but not enough to piece together the whole thing.

"Well, like a prison." He started laughing. His voice dialed down as he began to go into detail.

"Lonely. I was there for 18 years, with no one. It was just me, and an empty world. No one to talk to. Just myself, and my thoughts." As he told me I started to really take in what he said, trying to understand.

"Heck, I thought my lips were gonna seal from how much I didn't speak." He said laughing again in an attempt to lighten his trauma. I noticed how he did that a lot. He always tried to hide how much something made him feel.

The silence returned amongst us. I didn't know what to say. Spending the majority of your life in a world of captivity with no one sounds awful. Everyone, including myself, has called him a sociopath, and he was. But I don't think anyone ever cared to consider why he was the way that he was.

"Why are you always so quite?" Kai said interrupting my thoughts.

"Is that an actual question?" I asked laughing.

"Yes. I mean sometimes you go on rants. But other than that you don't say much."

"Didn't you call me a chatterbox earlier?"

"Stop avoiding the question." He said jokingly.

" I don't know. I talk mostly in my mind to myself. Plus most of the time, people don't like what I have to say."

"Why don't people like what you have to say?" He said confused.

"Because it's usually the most honest answer. Or it's the answer they don't wanna hear." I said.

"By 'they' do you mean Stefan and Damon?"

"I mean yes. But not just them. Everyone in Mystic Falls is very opinionated. They are not open to very blunt or different ideas." I said.

"Yeah. Bonnie was not very open to the idea of letting me out."

When he said this, I remembered Bonnie. She is still in that prison world. Before she was with my brother and Kai. But now she was completely alone. Which means she is probably going through what Kai went through for years. I made a mental note to immediately look for another way to get Bonnie out after this conversation was over. When Damon was still stuck there, I spent hours trying to find them a way out. Damon says there is no way to get her out. But I'm not giving up on her so easily. She deserves to get out of that god awful place, more than anyone. I wanted to throw myself into a wall for forgetting about her.

"Uhh...." Kai waved a hand over my eyes. "Anybody there?"

"Yeah I just- nevermind."

"Okayyy...It's your turn."

I still didn't have a mental list of questions to ask him. So the first thing that came to mind was him being a siphoner.

"How does the whole siphon thing work? I mean I know how it feels to be siphoned, but how does it exactly work on your end?"