9 - Stop Running

"Charles-" Beth pushed at his chest, creating a gap between the two of them, "You know that is not what I meant

"Charles-" Beth pushed at his chest, creating a gap between the two of them, "You know that is not what I meant."

"I know, love." Charles chuckled, his hands digging into his pockets, "We are... we are whatever you want us to be."

"That is not the answer I wanted, Charles." Beth tugged at his hands, so there was no more room between the two of them, her neck craning up so she could look at him, while he looked down at her with a smile.

"If you wanted me to say that I loved you-" Charles sighed contently but her touch and leaned forward so their foreheads were pressed together, "-then I'd like to know your feelings as well."

"Why don't you just tell me how I feel, Charles." Beth twisted their fingers together, the hint of mint on her breath causing him to smirk.

"You think... I am the most handsome man you've ever met. That is quite flattering, love, but I am certain that I am one of the few men you've met."

"Very funny, Charles." Beth urged him on, "Continue."

"You love my eyes, why thank you. You're are not too terrible to stare at as well. Let's see-" Charles raised his eyebrows, the corner of his lips lifted up into a smirk, "You've stared at my arse-"

Beth moved her head so she was no longer keeping eye contact, growing completely flustered, "Not that far..."

Charles released his hands from her hold and cupped her cheeks, causing her to look back at him, "I love you, too." He leaned forward pulling her in for a kiss, her own hands lifted up to hold the back of his head and neck, while his hands slid down to her waist.

***

Henry had originally been so overly frazzled when he pulled the car around to grab them, he already had suspicions of Izel truly being Beth, but he had not expected the confirmation to be mixed with her being mortally wounded. Charles was far more overtaken from the entire thing, he just lost Raven again to gain Beth. His eyes had not left Beth's form, he had listened to Henry and used his coat to press her wound.

"Are you telling me-" Charles probed while finally looking to Henry with an agitated gaze, "-that you already had a feeling that Izel was Beth?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying." Henry responds calmly, far too calmly for his sister to be back in the backseat of his car, "There were things she could do and things she knew that pointed towards Beth."

"And you thought it was best to what?" Charles shot at him not even noticing that Logan had grabbed Beth's hand to lend his healing mutation to her, "To keep your hypothesis to yourself? She's the love of my life, Hank!"

"And where was that love when you left her behind?" Henry finally snapped at him, his hands holding tightly to the steering wheel to try and keep himself from going full Beast-mode, "Stop telling me how much you love her when you were the one that didn't want to go after her."