Chapter 54: Everyone is Dead

After Fatty went up, I heard various sounds—his cough and the dragging of various things, which lasted for more than ten minutes.

I finally got impatient waiting below and asked anxiously, "What's the matter? What's the situation? How are they?"

My heart was very uneasy. When I heard that the old woman and Little Brother were both there, my heart was already tight and then Fatty told me that I might not be able to accept it.

Could I really not accept it? No, I really didn't think so. When I entered the ancient building, I told myself very clearly in my heart that I would probably face some death—I had such a premonition. On a larger level, I had been building their deaths up in my mind since the beginning so I could face reality if that were the case, but the process wasn't particularly comfortable.

I called several times before Fatty leaned out and said to me, "Come on up."

I said to myself, "You can just say that they're all dead. It's not that hard. What's the matter with you? Why do I have to go and see for myself?"

I reached for Fatty, grabbed the edge of the burnt coffin and scrambled to climb up.

Above was a very, very small mezzanine, about 1.23 meters high and full of people from Granny Huo's team.

There was an indescribable smell in the whole area, the stench of excrement and urine almost indistinguishable from that of rot.

I covered my nose and mouth and saw many traces of dried liquid on the ground that should have flowed from the place where these people were lying. It had dried on the wood floor, leaving crimson marks.

Fatty kept coughing and said to me, "Basically all dead."

I looked around, finding it difficult to identify these people in the dark. The first person I recognized was Granny Huo, because her characteristics were very obvious. I climbed over and came to her side, finding that she had been dead for quite a long time. Even her eyes had become cloudy and turned an amber color, her mouth was very wide open, and her facial expression looked very restless.

She must have died rather unwillingly. I sighed. Truthfully, I had no feelings for Granny Huo, but she was an elder after all. I still couldn't restrain my sadness when I saw someone I know become a corpse.

Continuing to look to the side, I saw several faces I knew, but now they were all stiff. After their deaths, excrement and urine flowed everywhere, and these normally all-powerful players had now turned into this. It was a bit ugly.

"Where's Little Brother?" My heart sank completely and I knew everything was over. Although different from what Ghost had said, they seemed to have found a place to escape the alkaline fog, but the result was still the same.

Surprisingly, I didn't feel sad, but I could feel a very strong emotion ready to gush out at any time, surpassing all other feelings. It was called "collapse". I forcefully suppressed it, not knowing whether my ability to escape from reality had improved to a certain level or whether my mind just couldn't accept such information and chose to bypass it.

Fatty used a flashlight to illuminate the corner where there was a pile of clothes, and said to me, "Don't look at it yet. Let's first see if there's anything valuable here. It stinks."

I secretly scolded in my heat: "Could you be more ruthless? Little Brother is dead, and you care about the fucking stench." Thinking about it, I went over and tore open the pile of clothes, immediately seeing Little brother's shrunken face.

I froze for a moment and suddenly went rigid, my mind going blank.

I couldn't describe the blankness in my heart, and suddenly didn't know what to do.