Chapter 32: Secrets in Caves

There were piles of old wooden boxes, several of which had been opened. There was a lot of straw in them, all rotten and blackened and there were piles of mortar shells in them. Any oil paper that was broken was completely rusted.

On the other side, I could see several mortars and shotguns that were neatly placed.

It looks like this was the guy who blasted us.

"A lot of them are useless." The guy suddenly said this as he watched me looking at everything. His voice was very vague, and I still couldn't tell if he was a man or a woman.

I turned to him and he handed me a military porcelain cup with boiled water inside. I was surprised that he could speak. If he only made some strange sounds, I could accept it, but now he was making such easy-to-understand sounds. Then I realized that he was, after all, a human being, and it was common for him to have a physical disability and not have a bad voice.

"You..." I don't know how to speak.

"Wu Sanxing, you got old too." He looked at me and seemed to be smiling, but on his face, any expression seemed very strange. "However, no matter how old you are, there is always someone who will recognize you, unlike me."

I paused and suddenly realized that I was wearing the mask of "Uncle Three". What surprised me was that he could call out Uncle Three's name, so this guy actually knows him.

"Do you know me?"

"Well, after 30 years, you probably didn't think I was still alive."

"Who are you?" It suddenly dawned on me why he brought me here. If he knew Uncle Three, he would be surprised to see him suddenly in the wild mountains.

I reflexively stared at his face, wanting to recognize who he was, but I was Wu Xie and had none of Uncle Three's memories. I soon realized that this was futile.

"I never expected to meet you again in such a place." His pronunciation was very strange, with a strong dialect that wasn't Guangxi, but I couldn't recognize where it was from. "You certainly don't recognize me." His misshapen hand was flipping in the debris pile on one side and I saw his nails were yellow and very thick.

This was the man who tried to steal the box from me in Poker-Face's "former residence."

Now I get it.

He dug for a while, took something out from the debris pile, and tossed it to me.

I barely caught it and found it was a small object folded with a thin coin. I couldn't see what it was but it appeared to be a five-pointed star.

In the past, when aluminum coins were put on the railway, the train would press them into aluminum foil, which could be folded into various small things. When my father took me to see the train when I was young, he often pressed several for me. However, the coins were still valuable at that time, and this kind of thing was generally only done by people with relatively rich families.

He gave me this thing. Would Uncle Three remember who the other person was when he sees this? It seemed that the other party had some kind of close relationship with Uncle Three.

My mind was spinning fast, and all the information jumbled together many stories in my mind. Who was this person?

He knew Uncle Three and participated in the archaeological team so was he also a descendant of the older generation and Uncle Three's peer? A scene occurred in my mind: a young man took part in an archaeological team, and after entering the mountain, he was caught in a trap, his body festered all over. Others thought he was dead, but he survived and was rescued by young hunters from a nearby village. He was treated with herbs and then recovered, but became disabled and lived in seclusion in the mountains, continuing to survive. In order to protect others from such harm, he played tricks in the mountains and scared many people away. However, the legend of treasure attracted more and more bad people, and the heir of the archaeological team finally appeared. He watched all the way and waited for the opportunity to show his identity. At the same time, he was also very conflicted, because he had now become a monster. While threatening the team and trying to scare them off, he suddenly ran into his good friend XXX, who grew up with him. Now they had recognized each other and were ready to start mutually complaining...