𝟒𝟗. Boggart

Leah and Olivia hadn't gone to breakfast. Valentine was sure they hadn't gotten up at all. She hadn't even spoken to either of them despite sleeping in the same dorm. It surprised her that although not being even a full twenty-four hours since Draco had been injured, it felt like a week. What was it about Leah's constant talking and Olivia's constant meekness that made the days go faster? She'd spent her own morning fighting off anyone in her direct vicinity with a dark glare, especially if they asked for the whereabouts of the two girls. That left Valentine to attend her classes with Draco, Liam, Blaze and the growing irritant that was Pansy Parkinson. Today was there first Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson and Valentine was honestly eager to see how Lupin would fair.

"Morning, morning." Lupin stood by the door gesturing them all inside with a warm smile. He paused when Valentine stepped up. "Miss Lestrange."

"For your own sake, you better not screw this up." She pushed on past the student in front of her.

"Well, nice to see we all woke up in good spirits." Lupin chuckled and continued to wave the others in.

Smartass.

All the desks had been pushed aside to one wall, leaving the centre of the room open for a large wardrobe, tall and dark wood with mirrored panelling reflecting the students gathering in front of it. The wardrobe gave a sudden jolt as of something was inside.

Interesting...

"Alright then," Lupin stood to the back of the class. "as probably already know, I am Professor Lupin and I will be your Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Let's get along shall we?"

Oh, if only things were that simple.

"Now, if you could turn your attention to the wardrobe..."

He really hadn't needed to say so, the class had been keeping a close watch on it since the moment they stepped inside. The wardrobe gave another violent rattle and several students leapt step back.

Blaze and Liam shoved a few students out of the way so Draco wouldn't be at risk with his injury. Valentine very nearly rolled his eyes. Draco was perfectly fine, Madam Pomfrey knew exactly what she was doing. Not that she was surprised that he was milking this, insisting on wearing a sling and all.

Pushing her way close to the front and leaning against the wall just in front of Draco, Valentine was getting sick of this. It made making sure she had Harry in her line of vision all the more difficult.

What's wrong with sitting at desks? We're not all freaking giants.

"What do you think it could be?" Liam whispered.

"A dragon?" Said Blaze sarcastically, knowing that would be unlikely. This wasn't Hagrid's class after all.

"Yeah." Liam scoffed good-naturedly. "Why would anyone think otherwise?"

Valentine gave the wardrobe a hard glare, the same one she has been wearing all morning.

I don't get the sense it's enchanted. It seems like something is trapped inside and would very much like to be out. Hmm, I have read about something like this...

"Intriguing, isn't it?" Said Lupin. "Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what's inside?"

"That's a Boggart, that is." Said Dean.

I figured as much.

"Very good, Mr Thomas." Lupin hoovered about them, shifting up to the front of the class. "Can anyone tell us what a Boggart looks like?"

"No one knows." Said Hermione.

"When she'd get here?" Ron jumped, staring at her in bewilderment.