𝟑𝟖. Ginny

"What you say hardly proves he's responsible."

"This is Lucius Malfoy we're talking about here!"

"Simply because he is disreputable-"

"-An incredible understatement but continue."

Snape gave a hard glare at her interruption.

"If you are looking for a legitimate complaint to be made against him you will need proof to convince the Ministry."

"Most of which Lucius has tucked away inside his back pocket." Valentine sat on a nearby desk. "Next option?"

Snape groaned and slumped into his desk chair.

"Murder?"

"Wouldn't tempt me, sir. You'd be wrong if you assumed I'd never planned his death multiple times already."

"Look, Lestrange. I'm aware you are used to getting your own way but that is not the way of the world."

"Yes, thank you, not brain dead." Valentine crossed her arms over her chest. "If we can't remove or murder him, what's our next move? What about the students? I'm fairly certain that Lucius himself is not the heir, so even if he is ultimately responsible for this, he still isn't the one in control of basilisk."

"And how do you suggest we find a single person with no leads or evidence?" Drawled Snape. "The heir could be anyone."

"Not quite, smartass. I've already crossed out anyone without access to Hogwarts. Staff and students are the most likely. Not to mention, anyone I know for certain isn't a Parselmouth.

"Watch your mouth, brat," Snape growled, seemingly having only heard one part of what she'd said.

"Stay on topic, would you? Dumbledore being removed has seriously screwed things up here. Who knows what the board will do next? McGonagall is Deputy Headmistress, so at least there's that, but there's literally nothing stopping them from appointing someone else as HeadMaster."

"I am aware of how things work." Snape spat.

"Well, then maybe you could at least attempt to be a little more helpful." Valentine bristled. She was sick of sitting here and taking his insults.

Lucius's slap had rocked her head and a headache was steadily building in her temple. Her left cheek was warm to the touch and she knew without looking that it was already starting to bruise.

"What is it that you want us to do?" Snape barked at her. "Because from where I sit, the options are severely limited."

"There has to be something! Students could start dying!"

"I know!" Snape pounded his fist on the desktop. "Do not treat me like a fool! I know what could happen!"

"Then how can you possibly sit there twiddling your thumbs!"

Snape burst up from his chair, eyes dark with rage.

"Do not dare paint me as uncooperative when you yourself can find no plausible solution!"

"Plausible solution or not, you are far too eager to sit on your backside and admit defeat!"

"I have put up with your attitude and arrogance out of respect for the Head Master, but do not think I will take it in his absence!"

"Well, what the hell are you going to do about it?" Valentine stood as well, own eyes blazing with fury and frustration.

"Do not test me, girl!" He took a warning step towards her.