𝟒𝟑. Cake

The gift Draco handed Val was large, square and heavy. It was wrapped in shimmering silver paper, silky pink ribbon holding it all together.

"This is from the both of us!" Leah announced proudly.

Ah. Now the ribbon makes sense.

With Valentine and Blaze's hiding spot discovered, they had headed down to the hall again where a table was now set up in the middle of the room for the gifts and later for lunch and cake.

"And if you don't like it, you can only kill one of us." Draco pushed the gift across the table towards Valentine. "Preferably the annoying one."

"Shut up!" Leah elbowed him. "She'll love it."

"I'm sure she will." Narcissa nodded, standing off to the side with Lucius and the Lovats.

Valentine shot her a suspicious look. Leah was involved in this and Draco was fearing for his life. That hardly bodes well for her.

"Open it, Val." Liam prompted her. "Draco wouldn't tell me what it was."

"Oh, now I'm anxious to see it as well." Said Rose. "Leah nearly spilt it once or twice but I wasn't able to get anything out of her."

"Wow." Blaze blinked. "I'm actually impressed."

"Hey! I can keep a secret when I need too! Val, open it already!"

Valentine rolled her eyes and tore into the paper with excruciatingly slow pacing.

"Please." Leah groaned. "Val, you're killing me!"

Valentine ignored her, continuing to open it with one laboured action at a time. When she finally had untied the ribbon and removed all the paper, she was met with a metallic glint and a checkered board.

A chessboard?

"It's a chessboard!" Leah clapped excitedly.

The board was smooth and glossy, completely untouched. The corners and sides were encased in silver, engraved with skeletal snakes in great detail.

"Wow." Liam smiled.

"Now, would you look at that." Rose leaned forward to see. "Isn't that gorgeous, William?"

"Hmm," he hummed in reply.

"It gets better!" Leah grinned.

"The top comes off," Draco explained. "Here."

Draco gestured to a sliver latch on one side of the board.

Valentine unlatched it and flipped the top open. It revealed a velvet lined compartment, perfectly crafted to fit each chess piece in its own place. The pieces themselves were sliver and carved with every bit the same layer of detail as the rest of the board.

"They're so shiny." Leah practically drooled over them.

"Bloody hell, back it up, would you?" Blaze nudged her back a little.

Why was Draco worried about giving me this? It's beautiful. And heavy enough to kill anyone I may throw it at. What more could I want?

"We had it specially made." Draco tagged on.

"I can tell." Said Valentine. "Thank you."

"You're welcome!" Leah cheered, attacking her in another viperous hug.

"Is that twelve?" Asked Liam.

"Thirteen." Draco corrected.

"Get off me." Valentine huffed and shoved the other girl away.