Chapter 1

(y/n: your name)

I've dreamed of going to college for forever.

I didn't know where, I just wanted to leave home.

If I could, I would go to America. But, coming from a middle class household with average grades, it didn't seem possible.

I settled on the University of Tokyo. Or, UT for short.

Many people would die to go to college at UT. We're in the city, of course they would. But being from Tokyo, the city doesn't hold the same glamour that it does for people who aren't from here.

When people see the city, they see the bright lights, big futures, and seas of people. I see a past I was begging to escape from.

I see my nightmares hiding in the alleys of the bustling streets.

—————

I wake up to a facetime call from my bestfriend, Akaashi.

I answer but remain silent, for I was still tired.

"y/n..." Akaashi said.

"y/n...."

"y/n, were you sleeping? It's 3:35... you just missed your english lecture."

His comment jolts me out of my foggy mind state. I look at the time, and indeed, it is 3:35.

I jump out of bed and run into the bathroom to get ready for the remainder of my day.

"y/n, what are you doing? You literally have no reason to rush. Your class is already over and you have no other classes for the rest of the day."

Taking in Akkashi's words, I realized he was right.

I internally scream for getting all worked up.

"Kei, why did you call me?"

Akaashi and I have been bestfriends since we were nine. Our moms were bestfriends, and after spending so much time together, it was only natural that we gravitated toward each other.

I couldn't pronounced Akaashi's first name, Keiji, when we first met, which is how he got the nickname Kei. In retaliation to the nickname he originally hated, he waited until he could find an embarrassing name to call me.

That's how my nickname, nugget, came to be.

We were eating dinosaur nuggets and me being the fat ass I was, stuffed too many in my mouth. This, unfortunately, resulted in my first near-death experience.

"I wanted to see if you wanted to meet up and get lunch or something."

"Well now that I'm up, we can now if you still want to." I say

"Yeah, anywhere you have in mind?"

"Not really. Where are you?"

"Close to the Korean BBQ restaurant we went to last week."

My mouth began to water at the thought of the delicious BBQ.

"Let's eat there."

"Okay. How long till you'll get here?"

"I just need to brush my teeth and change my clothes. I might roll up then head out. Maybe 30 minutes in total?"

"Ew, y/n, don't come smelling like weed."

Akaashi hates the fact that I smoke. He tolerates it though because he knows if I didn't, I'd slip into worse, older habits.

"I won't," I laugh, "I'll see you soon."