Chapter 72

Belle Pov

I shuffle through my room, breaking out into a cold sweat. I whip back and forth, pulling my shirt over my head, tying my shoes, and putting my hair in a ponytail. My heart beats faster with every passing minute. Every second. I needed to get out and quickly. It was no help that Dasarious was having a bad day, and was crying himself blue in the face in Claire's arms. She tries to calm him, offering him his bottle which he only turn away from.

"I'm sure it's not going to be all that bad, Miss Belle." Claire said softly while continuing to bounce Darcy.

"Its bad," I told her. I glanced at the clock. Saturday. 10:05am. I was late for my shift. And the morning rush would only slow me down.

Claire offered me a reassuring smile as a grabbed my purse and quickly made my way over to her. I felt my heart pain at Darcy's tear soaked cheeks, and I reached over to wipe his face with my thumb. "Calm yourself sweet boy," I told him. "I'll be back soon." Darcy continued to wail like he understood me, and was displeased with the fact that I was leaving. He turned to reach for me, and although I longed to take him in my arms I knew that if I did I would never make it out of here to work. I reminded myself that we needed this money for our futures. And that it would only be a couple of hours. "Only a little while, my love, okay." 

I heard a frantic knock at my bedroom door and it pushes open before I can say anything. Carmadon walks in, "I was hoping I hadn't missed you," he says with a sigh of relief. 

"Almost," I tell him as I place a last kiss on Darcy's forehead. "But I'm late I have to go." 

Carmadon pauses his eyes shifting, "Oh, Miss Belle there is really something I must tell you."

"Can it wait?" I ask as I rush past him.

"Uh-"

"Great!" I grab the doorknob as I finally make it to the door. "We can talk about it at lunch. See you." I close the door behind me and I'm zipping down the hallways before anyone can stop me. Out the door, and pass the morning guards used to me and Darcy coming back and forth. 

"Late," I think I hear one of them say before they both chuckle. 

I have the slow down by the time I make it to the eating and shopping district. I weave through the traffic, getting a few heys and watch its as I go. I nearly sigh in relief when I am able to push open the doors to the restaurant. 

"You're late," Landon scolds with a playful smirk. He flicks his platinum hair, now cut so half of it falls to the side, the other shaved.

I check the watch at my wrist. My shift starts at 10am. 10:12am. "Yes, yes. Thank you Landon for pointing that out."

He grins, "Anytime. I'm here to remind you of the important things in life."

I roll my eyes at him as I fix my purse over my shoulder, "Oh okay. I'll make sure to remind Carly that you're the one stealing the desserts at the end of each shift."

He gaps at me and watches as I go to go clock in, "You wouldn't!"

"Try me," I laugh over my shoulder as I make my way into the kitchen.

As I clock in I feel the familiar tug on my ponytail and I feel the corners of my lips lift. I feel his warmth as I steps closer to me. "Late."

I turn around and am met with warm brown eyes. "Yes, I know."

Kenneth smirks, "Try not to make it a habit, mmm."

I blush. "I won't." I cup his cheek and I feel him lean into my palm. I run my thumb under his eyes noting the forming bags. "You're tired. You should be getting more sleep."