Brihannala

The afternoon sun blazed overhead. We had just entered the beautiful city of Dwarka, the people welcoming us with flowers and chants of Madhav's name.

I smiled softly taking in the gorgeous city, Dwarka really was known as the most beautiful city in all of Aryavrat for a reason. We stopped at the Palace gates, Subhadra immediately getting off the chariot to go meet Bhrata Balram and Bhabhi shree Revati. I get down from my horse pausing for a second as I realize Madhav hadn't moved. Subhi also seemed to notice as she asked him, "What happened Bhratashree?"

"Nothing Subhadrae I just have some important work to do," He said with a hint of a smile and gives me a quick glance.

Suddenly realization struck me. Bhabhishree Rukmini!

"Can't you do it later Bhratashree?" Subhi asked standing at the steps of the palace.

"It cannot wait Subhadrae I will join you soon but for now I must go,"

"I'll join you!" I said grabbing my horse again.

"Are you sure?" Madhav asked with a small smirk, "It will be tough..."

"Nothing I haven't seen before," I say with a smirk of my own, he nods his head with a slight chuckle.

"Well, then what're we waiting for?" He asks gesturing to my horse, I once again get on. Subhi just shakes her head and goes up the palace stairs, "Don't take too long!" She says before disappearing into the palace.

We start making our way along the vaguely familiar path, soon reaching the small village we had come to last time. I smiled as we looked around, some kids playing, women making butter, the small yet beautiful houses, the sweet smell of soil right after rain... it looked peaceful. It felt calm. I got off my horse and Madhav followed suit getting off his chariot.

"Isn't it nice Parth..." He said with a smile.

I nodded almost absentmindedly, it really was nice. Simple, a by no means easy life, but a life that seemed far away from everything we had faced... with its own struggles for sure but it still seemed amazing.

I guess that is what they thought looking at us in our royal attire... the grass always seems greener on the other side.

I shook my head getting out of my trance as some kids ran up to Madhav bumping into him. Madhav chuckled bending down to the kid's level and whispers something into his ear

I didn't even have to think about what it could have been, Madhav's smirk as the women carried the pots of butter said it all.

"Re-living childhood memories I see..." I said chuckling at his childlike excitement.

"Your childhood is the most precious time in your life Parth... what's wrong with re-living it once in a while?" He laughed watching keenly as the children followed his instructions and as soon as the women had gone to finish some other work started making a human pyramid trying to reach the pots of butter.

"That is true... re-living your past is quite the experience..." I said spiking up slightly as the children managed to break the pot of butter.

"Hmm... but your past isn't always the way you remember it Parth... once you've lived it you see your future when you look back," Madhav said his words completely and utterly confusing me.

I once again don't have much time to ask questions though as a child runs up to Madhav and offers him butter, Madhav takes it with a smile but barely has the time to eat it as we're forced to make our escape from very angry mothers.

The same events followed soon after, Madhav breaking the pot of some women carrying water... me getting the blame... no matter if I've lived this already it's impossible to win from Madhav!

We again found the old man struggling to dig up his fields and helped him... same as last time... not many changes, and finally after hours of random tasks we reached a cliffside looking over Vaidarbha kingdom.

"The reason we came here..." Madhav said handing over a folded piece of paper. A letter. I opened it and quickly skimmed through it, it was Bhabhishree Rukmini's letter. I smiled softly.

"And you would like my help," I said turning towards him.

"Yes, and you know what you'll have to do I'm assuming," Madhav says with a smirk making my smile drop... Brihannala ...

And that's how I stood here wearing a sari. Once again in my female form of Brihannala ... I could almost laugh as I looked at myself in the reflection of the river. At the end of our agyat vas I had hoped to never wear this again and here I stood re-living my time as the sister of a cow herder. This whole time travel thing comes with more than just saving countless lives I see...

"You look beautiful," Madhav laughed as he stood in commoners clothes disguised as a cow herder.

"Why thank you Madhav," I said in the most girl-like voice I could manage, making him chuckle.

We made our way towards the royal palace of Vaidarbha.

"Halt!" The guards said stopping us at the gate.

"Yes sir how can I help you?" Madhav said with a smile.

"Who are you and what is your work in the palace?" The guards asked glaring at us.

"I am a cow herder, and this is my sister Brihannala , we're here to see Rajkumari Rukmini. A sage was called at the wedding to give his blessings but he could not come so he has sent us to deliver some prasad." Madhav explained the story. I nodded in confirmation but the guard still refused to believe us.

"How do I know you're not lying?" The guard asked.

"Oh, this Krishna!" Madhav started almost making me burst out in laughter, "Because of him now everyone is scared of cow herders!"

"We're not scared!" The guard said glaring.

Pride and arrogance always led to downfall I thought to myself with a smile.

"Then why won't you let me and my sister in? What do you think we're gonna do?" Madhav said with an almost mocking tone.

"Fine! You may go in!" The guard said.

"Good one," I said with a chuckle as we entered the palace.

"Men with weak ego's are always easy to manipulate," Madhav said with a laugh.

As soon as we entered the palace Madhav went straight to Rukmi, who was barking out orders to guards.

"Rajkumar!" Madhav said with a smile approaching him.

"Yes, how can I help you?" Rukmi asked not minding much attention to Madhav.

"We were sent here by a great sage who could not attend the wedding himself. He told us that he knew Rajkumari Rukmini didn't want this marriage that's why he gave us this prasad to give to her. He said once she has this she will get married wholeheartedly!" Madhav said the lie with confidence making Rukmi look up at him and nod slightly.

"You cannot enter her room," Rukmi said eyeing him carefully.

"Yes, my sister will give it to her," He said pointing towards me. Rukmi nods and I take the prasad heading towards bhabhi shree Rukmini's room.

I reach the large wooden doors and push them open to reveal a beautiful room and on the bed facing the other way sat Rajkumari Rukmini the future maharani of Dwarka and one of my closest friends. I smile slightly,

"Rajkumari..."

...............................................

Hey guys!! Uh... yeah I have no excuse 😅 but I'll update the next chapter before new year's. I promise! so dw

Disclaimer- I know in the original Mahabharat Arjun took Brihannala roop only once and that Krishna and him didn't even meet until Draupadi swaymvar but I decided to follow the shows plot line here because it is more cinematic...

Edited: (May 30)

I hope you liked the chapter!

Vote and comment
💖💖💖💖💖💖