Vrishketu

"You killed me!"

"It was your fault Arjun!!"

"How could you?!"

I woke up with a startle. My hair stuck to my forehead because of sweat, my entire body shaking, as I felt tears build up.

"Third time tonight, are you ok?" asks Subhadra also getting up beside me.

"I- yeah I'm fine, I'm just gonna get some fresh air," I say getting up from my bed and grabbing a shawl.

"It's very early Arya, just try to sleep a little more," Subhi says looking at me with concern. 

"I'm fine priye, really, you go to bed I'll be back soon,"

I quickly leave the tent before she can say anything else to stop me. I can barely trace out the silhouettes of soldiers guarding the camp as my eyes adjust to the darkness.

I start walking pretty aimlessly. The cool wind blows past me as I pull the shawl a little closer. I make my way through the forest when I hear the familiar sound of an arrow hitting its target.

'Who's practicing at this hour?' I think trying to find the source of the sound.

Quickly locating the sound coming from behind some trees. I walk up to a small clearing where I see Vrishketu shooting arrow after arrow at a small makeshift target.

Looking at him holding the bow aiming with precision I'm reminded of Abhimanyu in a way... The same kind of stiff but smooth posture, the intense focus and clear prosecution remind me of the first time I watched Abhi show me his skills.

"Who's there..." his words quickly bring my thoughts to a halt.

'Should I say something? It's probably best I just leave,' I think as I try my best to leave quietly.

"Maharathi Arjun," Vrishketu says my name as if it brings a sour taste to his mouth.

I freeze in my tracks staying silent, not sure if I should respond.

"What are you doing here? Here to kill me as well?" He asks glaring holes at me.

"Rajkumar, I just came here to get some fresh air," I say trying to stay as calm as possible

"Yes well, leave now please," He says irritated

"Hmm," I start to head back but a dreadful feeling makes me stop pause.

'It's pretty late he could get hurt' I think as try to find words to say something.

"Rajkumar, you should also go back to your camp," I say trying to avoid saying anything that might upset him.

"No, I think I'm fine can you please leave Maharathi? Or do you wanna stay and annoy me further??" He asks not even bothering to glance at me. 

"Rajkumar I understand you don't wanna see me right now but please I can't leave you alone out here in the middle of the night!" I say losing my patients.

"Why do you even care! Just leave me alone!"

"Just listen to me Pl-"

He turns to face me completely arrow aimed right at my chest...I'm defenceless, I mean I could stop him but should I?

"No! You know what you're right, I don't wanna see you right now! Why are you even here?! To rub it in that you 'won' that you killed my father?!" He yells pulling the string back. 

"Vrishketu please jus-"

"Just what?! What do you want?! Here to tell me one of those pity stories about how you didn't know and how it wasn't your fault?? Hmm? So that I suddenly forgive you for killing my family?!"