52 - A Hammer Upon A Mirror

The melody escaping the violin flooded the hallway. The closer Rosalind came to Troy's chamber, the sweeter the sound got. Before she could raise her hand to knock on the door, it opened and welcomed her inside with a gentle light filling the room.

Stepping inside, she saw the room was filled with candles. Some on tall candle-holders, some on tables, yet many were on the floor as if the chance of burning down the manor never occurred to Troy.

The music came to a gradual end, leaving her with a welcomed shiver. In the pale orange light, the room felt cosy. Though, when Rosalind looked around to find Troy, she could not see him. What she did see was his violin resting in the opened case. She found it odd that master and instrument were not together for the song that had led her inside ended a few seconds ago.

Furrowing her brows, Rosalind stepped deeper into the room and called for the red-haired lord. "Troy?"

From the adjacent bathing area, Troy emerged clad in nothing but his plum robe. The raspberry trim came into deep contrast with his copper hair. "Rosalind." He smiled as he tightened the belt around his narrow hips. "You are always welcome here."

Clasping her hands in front of her, she tried to smile. "I felt the need to come."

Troy noticed her smile did not reach her eyes. Furrowing his brows, he addressed her, "Has anything happened?"

As he stepped closer to her, she pointed to the violin and spoke, yet ignored his query. "I heard you play."

Standing nearly toe to toe, Troy frowned. "I have not played all day." He hooked his finger under her chin and tilted her head up. "Something has happened, has it not?"

Her mind felt shattered. In the shards, Caspian's face reflected. "No..." Rosalind lied. "I think I just needed to be with you... to speak with someone who I feel as an anchor in this storm."

Troy lowered his hand but when he did, Rosalind reached for it and brought it to her cheek.

"I am and always will be here when you need me," he said and softly caressed her.

Troy's touch was feathers upon her skin. Briefly closing her eyes, Rosalind felt the son but saw the father. "I do need you," she whispered. Yet is it for the right reason? She pursed her lips and winced. I am a monster! I should not be running from one to the other. It is not right! Troy does not deserve this. Caspian does not deserve it! Good God above, neither do I... do I? Opening her eyes, they glistened with unshed tears.

"No one hurt you, did they?" Troy asked gingerly. When Rosalind shook her head he sighed. "Good."

Bowing her head into the softness of the robe, Rosalind wondered why she should not just stay in her room until it was time for her to go. Because you want them both! Her mind screamed. You cannot stand it if you are not with one or another! "Maybe I should leave," she said sadly as she looked up at him. "You were about to bathe."

Troy gave her a crooked smile. "You saw me bathe before. I will not mind if you stay again."

Rosalind blushed and giggled. His beautiful soul was a balm on every wound Caspian inflicted.

"Will you join me?" he asked and extended his hand to her.

Rosalind's brows jerked up and she chuckled. "In the bathtu –?"

Troy gave her hand a gentle tug and interrupted her. "In the room. You do not have to bathe with me."

On his lips was an impish smile, one Rosalind could not help but adore. "You want me in the tub with you, do you not?" she asked as he began to walk backward, pulling her by her hands.

"I do, but..." Troy stopped when they entered the bathing room and neared the tub. "we would not both fit." He gave her a wink and began to unfasten his belt.

Feeling giddy and briefly forgetting about Caspian, Rosalind brought her hands to her eyes with a squeal and covered them. "I cannot!"