Chapter 1

*Unedited*
I hope you like the first few chaps!!
______________________________

:Vanessa's POV:

I wake up groaning at the sound of my alarm clock. My little sister Emily had messed with it again. I groan again and hit the clock with my hand making it shut off. I quess I should introduce myself.

Hi! My name is Vanessa Embers and I'm 17 years old. I have dark brown hair with natural brown highlights and grayish eyes and I'm about 5'7. I have a sister named Emily who is 6. She is lots exactly like me but younger and has navy blue eyes.

I sluggishly got up out of bed and crawled my way to the bathroom. I used the bathroom, washed my hands, brushed my hair, brush my teeth and took a quick shower. I left the bathroom a little wet with a towel wrapped around me. I walked normally over to my closet as the shower woke me up more and I wasn't as tired.

I looked through my clothes in my closest when I finally found the outfit I should wear today at school. I chose a pair of black jeggings, black and purple ankle converse shoes, gray and black plaid flannel that I buttoned up wearing a black leather jacket that has a gray hood on top. I put on a pair of black shades on my eyes, completely the whole outfit.

I look into the mirror. Satisfied, I grabbed my phone from its charger and headed downstair to the kitchen where my book bag is on the counter top. I checked the time, it was 7:26 am. I had to be at school at 8:00 am but I went to work cooking me and Emily's breakfast. I cook up some scrambled eggs with bacon for Emily and scrambled eggs and buttered toast for me. And finally finally, some sunny side up eggs with bacon and sausages for the devil. I yelled for Emily to come down and to say foods really so she can be able to eat and I could go to school on time today without having to face to the Devil.

Me and Emily are our food and I handed her her backpack as I pulled mine onto my back. Quickly, I took Emily's hand and went for the door as soon as I heard some footsteps and a door opening upstairs. I ran to the door and opened it quickly and ran outside with Emily and shut the door. You never want to face the devil in the morning.

I took Emily's hand a bit tighter and walked down the street going to the school. I was limping a tiny bit and slouching over a little too from yesterday's beating. Yep, you heard me. I said beating. The devil is my step father, Henry. He has this slab table downstairs in the basement when he wants to beat me a little more than usual. He said it was his new toy, but I knew it was his new Satans spawn. He strapped me into the table by my ankles and my wrists as well as my neck. My back was exposed and he had a leather, thick whip and a thick rope with sharp thorns. He bested my back until the whole thing was soaked in my own blood.

I was able to crawl my way upstairs and clean most of my wounds. As I did, I just got a reminder of all the scars on my body. I have gruesome ones too since he never let me go to the hospital for stitches. I have no scars on my face though, lucky me. (Note the sarcasm)

Once me and Emily got to the schools parking lot, I took Emily to the elementary school and brought her to her class. I told her a quick goodbye and headed to my school. I went to the door with my head down.

As I stepped into the school, I notice it's quiet and I don't feel any movement. I looked up and found that the halls was empty.

Crap! I'm late!

I quickly ran to my class, not even bothering to stop at my locker. If I stopped i would just get in more trouble, not to mention more beatings if Henry found out. I opened the door to my class room and the teacher stopped talking. It was Mrs. Dylan, the strictest teacher I have in my class schedules.

Mrs. Dylan- "why are you late?!" She yelled at me.

I viability flinch and the students in the class snicker. Mrs. Dylan looks at them with one glare and they all shut up.

Vanessa- "I'm sorry. I had to drop off my sister at her school. Not to mention I also had to walk." I told her honestly.

Mrs. Dylan- "you better sit down now! I'm calling your father to make sure he knows of your behavior."

I quickly go to the back of the class from in the far corner and silent tears fall down my face as she continues her lesson. All I could think about is how the devil is going to beat me once I get home. I worry about Emily, what if he gets her too? Thoughts cloud my mind as I over think things and all i could do was worry about Emily. She didn't deserve this life, she could've have gotten good friends, had a mother. She didn't deserve to have to listen to my screams at night. And it made my blood boil to think Henry might hurt her today.

He did it once before, and I defended her. I got the worst beating of my life. But at least Henry didn't hit Emily again, only yells at her. But that doesn't make me feel any better.

Once class was over I went to my locker and got my stuff, I put stuff into my locker as well as take stuff out and put it in my book bag. I closed my locker and headed towards my other class.

I walked down the hall, trying my best not to wince at the pain and suffering from the beating. I teacher saw me wince walking down the hall and stopped me. It was Ms. Cole.

Ms. Cole- "honey, are you okay? I saw you wincing a little." She asked me in a gentle voice.

Vanessa- "Yea, I'm fine. I just fell on the last step of the stairs, so I hurts a little bit. But I'm fine." I lied.

Even if it's suck-ish, I can't tell her the real reason. Even if I did, Henry would have us move again and beat me at the house like his life depended on it. But in a way it does. If he got arrested, he would be arrested for life.

Ms. Cole said an 'ok' with a small smile. I knew she knew I was lying, but got the hint I wasn't going to tell her. She walked off to do whatever and I hurried to my class.

~~<~|Time-Slip|~>~~

The bell rung and it was time for lunch. The whole day I was worrying for Emily, what If Henry got her? What if he went to the elementary school and took her and beat her? What if he beats me and makes Emily watch? Holy, if he did that I would kill him for scarring her like that.

I went to the cafeteria and got a box of Apple juice, gram crackers and a small sandwich. I couldn't get more then that since I didn't have enough money to buy it. I sat in the corner table and eat my food with my shades still on and my hood up. I learned the hard way not to show my face in lunch. The jocks and cheerleaders think it's funny to beat me up and throw food at me durning the lunch period.

I quickly scarfed down my food and headed out of the cafe with my book bag on my back. My back didn't hurt that much anymore. I started to have such a high pain tolerance that it doesn't hurt anymore and it just gets me numb. The beatings just add to my pain tolerance.

I hurried my way to Emily's school, hoping my fears aren't true. I exited the school by the side door and ran to her school. Luckily, there she was, in the school play ground with some student playing. I breathe a sigh of relief. I walk towards her and she smiles and runs to me give me a hug.

Vanessa- "hey you little squirt." I say playfully and hugging her back.

I crouch down to her level and pull back.

Emily- "not that I'm not happy, but, why are you here?" She asks me.

Vanessa- "oh nothing, I just wanted to tell you something."

Emily- "well.....?" She says crossing her arms over her chest.

Well damn. For a 6 year old, she holds a lot of sass.

Vanessa- "today you can go to one of your friends houses, ok? You can go to Gabby's house." I tell her and she smiles brightly and runs of to her best friend gabby telling her the news.

Vanessa- "bye Emily!" I yell out to her as I leave.

As I do, I hear a faint, 'Bye Vanny.' I chuckle at the nick name and race to my high school to finish the rest of my classes.
_______________________________
(A/N: I hope you like this first chapter! There is more to come!!! Remember to.........

VOTE

COMMENT

AND

FOLLOW ME!!! )