Chapter 32 - Trials

Start from the beginning

"Over here," the siren in front of you said.

You stepped forward, following the sirens into the inner court. The caverns stretched high and wide around us, light reflecting off the obsidian ceilings due to the deep, clear pool in the middle of the room. You knew immediately that this pool was more than a hot spring. You could feel the energy coming from it, but you couldn't decide if it was something to be feared or embraced.

The room was full of sirens - hundreds of them, possibly - all standing in the coliseum seats around the pool. Fear gripped your throat as you looked around, wondering what would become of those here who would be found guilty.

King Namjoon appeared, moving towards the center of the lake. He walked directly on the water, and you realized that the pool was not deep at all, but simply an illusion. Unless King Namjoon was floating... but you never saw him with wings.

Seokjin stood next to the king in the water, his shirt completely off with his Celtic circles exposed and glowing. There were four more men with him, all with the same marks. They were all men from Seokjin's ship.

So he really had planned to come to the Den of Sirens from the beginning. He wasn't coming for you at all.

His eyes caught yours as if he had heard you, but you dipped your head before he could see your face.

You were then stopped by Yoongi and Hoseok. They held out their hands.

"Give us your hand," they said at the same time, although their tones were completely different.

Taehyung and you, as well as the two sirens with you, held out your hands. Yoongi and Hoseok pricked the fingers with a small piece of metal, and you were thankful that it was far less painful than what Jimin had done. Red blood came from your and Taehyung's fingers. Teal blood came from the sirens' hands in front of you.

"It's been so long since I've seen red blood!" Hoseok said in delight. "What a beautiful shade!"

"And the red fire that will consume the guilty will be just as beautiful," Yoongi said flatly.

"Ah... why do you have to scare everyone?"

"It's only the truth."

"Why not be a little more optimistic?"

"Optimism doesn't save you. Only truth does."

"Yes, but hope carries you through the harsh truths."

The four of you left Yoongi and Hoseok to argue as you were ushered to rows in the front. You switched between watching the blood flow from your finger to the king standing on the pool in front of you. You wished you could speak to him again before judgment. He seemed so warm and inviting, but you didn't have the chance to speak with him as much as you wanted.

You then realized you wouldn't have the chance to speak to Jungkook or Jimin either. You couldn't apologize. You couldn't explain yourself. You couldn't tell them what they meant to you.

But according to Taehyung, it wouldn't make any difference anyway.

"Everyone is here," the king announced.

The room went silent.

"I won't make any grand speeches," King Namjoon continued. "The truth is, everyone will be judged today. If you have faithfully followed in your purpose, with your heart turned towards truth and good over evil, then you shall be spared. If, however, your hearts have turned towards evil, and your purpose has become selfish and destructive, you will be cursed as a human until you have redeemed yourself."

The king pointed to Seokjin and the other Judges on the sides of the pool.

"The Judges here with me will seal your fate. Please begin."