Chapter 8 - Closer

Holding a sword was harder than you remembered.

Your father kept a sharp rapier on his wall as a toast to his glory days in the navy. Jimin’s sword was incredibly similar, which made you comfortable andn nostalgic. It was almost as if you were a five-year-old girl again, your father telling you how to parry and strike with a laugh on his face, proud of his only daughter being as tough as the men of his ship.

Only you weren’t on his ship. 

And you weren't as tough as you thought.

And Jimin was anything but proud of you. 

“I suppose I shouldn’t have expected you to be naturally talented in this field,” he said, half to himself. “You’ve probably never lifted your arm longer than it takes to wave for a maid.”

You gritted your teeth. “You certainly have a lot of opinions.”

“Am I wrong?”

Your eyes dropped to the ground as you tried to catch your breath. 

“All you taught me was how to hold a sword and wave it around in the air,” you threw back, changing the subject. “You taught me nothing useful at all.”

“Holding it in the air and waving it around is the basic use of a sword, you know.”

He smirked at you. You frowned.

“Forget it," you finally replied. "If you’re just going to insult me, I don’t need your instruction.”

You threw the sword at his feet and crossed your sore arms. He slipped a foot under the sword, bouncing it up in the air and catching it. He leaned it up against the wall and walked back towards you. 

“You’ll take my instruction,” he commanded, “because I might not be able to save you when things go south.”

“Then make sure nothing goes south,” you replied shrugging.

You and Jimin shared a brief smile. 

Suddenly the ship lurched to the side, knocking you both off your feet. You flew onto Jimin’s bed, and he stumbled forward, landing on top of you. You instinctively shut your eyes as the ship rebalanced itself, Jimin pinning you against the bed to keep you from sliding. 

When it had calmed, you opened your eyes and huffed out a shaky breath, realizing how close he was to your face. 

You gave a charming smile.

“Perhaps this was all a ruse to get me alone?” you asked, raising your voice slightly to make it sound more innocent despite the content of your words.

He gave a hungry smirk in return, resting his hands against your waist. You tried not to jump, confused from his reaction.

He leaned down to your ear. “Trust me, if I had wanted you in my bed… you’d have been there already.”