Chapter 13 - "Love is worth fighting for."

Shawn's POV

    They were talking but I couldn't hear anything. All I could do was stand there thinking.

    What the fuck just happened?!

    Okay, so you are probably wondering what happened for me to have that reaction so let me rewind a little bit.

    Remember when my parents stood up and said they had something to tell us? Well...

    "Me and your mom are back together and we are moving back with her." My dad said super fast and I almost thought I had missed it.

    "WHAT?!" I exclaim clearly surprised.

    "Well I talked to my work place and they said they could transfer me and him," My dad points at Raquel's dad. "Back to the US. Ever since I went back to try in getting you two back, me and your mom have been talking and something sparked. We started talking almost everyday and things just sorta happened." My dad shrugs like he totally hadn't just said what I did and didn't want to hear.

    "We are moving too. I got the offer from work and we already have rented a house. We will be moving before christmas." Raquel's dad informs us as if this will totally not affect our lives permanently.

    "Cool by me." Eduardo says shrugging. Aaliyah agrees and they go back to talking about comics and such.

    "Son..." I hear my mom call out to me.

    "I need a minute." I say getting up and excusing myself from dinner. I walk to the backyard and gasp for air. I slide down the wall and try to ground myself, try to focus on something.

    "Shawn breathe." I feel Raquel's hand on my shoulder urging me to breathe. She tries to soothe me until my breathing gets back to normal.

    "Woah... I guess we are moving to your old town huh." Raquel says after some time. We are both sitting on the floor looking out to nowhere in particular.

    "I don't know if I can see her with Jake and not kiss her. I don't know if I can live in that place knowing she is next door. I don't know if I can breathe the same air without her next to me." I breathe out looking at the stars.

    "I wonder what it's like to be whipped. Geez man get your head up. Go back win her or lean how to live with yourself if you don't because god damn this whining is getting really annoying." Raquel exclaims getting up and looking back down at me. "Are you going to be a wimp and suffer quietly while the girl of your dreams is with another dude that isn't you or are you at least going to be a man and tell her how you feel?"

    "What if she rejects me?" I ask imagining the worst.

    "What if I die tomorrow, what if, what if. Dude if we lived our lives wondering what would happen we wouldn't live! Want to talk about what if's?! What if I live here with my parents and there's a drunk driver out there and we get hit? Are we going to live here? There is always a risk of things going wrong but is the thought of maybe things going right and keeps us going and not letting what if's determine our future. Get your ass up, hold your head up and go get your girl. If she says no. Well she ain't stabbing you in the gut. Get the hell up and move on with your life. Is it going to be easy? Hell nah. But what if everything goes well and you get the girl?" I take in everything she says and feel a sudden gratitude that I decided to be her friend. I pick my head up, get up and look straight at her.

    I pull her in for a hug and whisper a thank you.

    "You are very welcome now let go of me this is hella gay." She laughs making me laugh with her. We pull away and go back inside.

    Both our families talk and eventually they go back to their house to pack and we start packing.

    "You okay?" I turn around to look at my mom standing in my doorway.

    "Yeah, I mean. I don't know how it's going to be seeing her again. I don't know what is going to happen or how to live there and not be her friend." I exhale a breath. Reaching for a frame of all of us at the lake I trace her figure with my finger. I feel the tears well up. In a move so quick my mother is pulling me in for a hug. My face on her chest she rubs my back just as she did when I was little and sure enough the tears come. She continues to rub my back and whispers soothing words in my ear. All the emotions that I've been holding for a little over a year now comes flowing out as my mom hugs me tighter.

    "You know," She starts. Me and mom are sitting on the bed facing each other. "Love is something so beautiful, so strong, so powerful. Love can hurt and sting, but love can heal and make you feel like you are floating in clouds. Love can make you cry or give up but it can also make you laugh and fight harder to keep that love. Loving isn't easy hun. But it is so worth it. It's moments like little laughs or food fights that you feel your heart burst. Love makes you do crazy things but none of those things are crazy for love. Love makes you see the flaws in a person but it chooses to see the good ones too. Love makes you love everything that has to do with that person because when they tell you they love you too. Well all the tears and heartaches are worth it. Don't be afraid of love my love. Live, love and it might hurt but it also might save your soul from the darkness that is the world." My mom kisses my forehead and leaves my room. I stayed there looking at the spot where she sat. I think about what she said.

    But will she love me too? I can't live on what if's.

Author's note

I know it's short, but it needed to be said. My grandma said that to my brother when he fought with his well now girlfriend because he was scared of what if's. Well now I can count of grandma to talk us back to reality.

Don't forget to vote, comment, and share.

Also follow me on insta @shawmila_stories72757

xoxo Love Ana xoxo