Chapter 16 - Why?

Camila's POV

    Today I woke up feeling a little bit weird and I had this weird feeling but still I got up, took a shower, got ready for school and went downstairs to get breakfast.

    As I got downstairs I heard whispers but when I entered the kitchen everyone stopped talking and were looking at me like I was a damn alien in my own house.

    "Good morning mija." My mom greeted me successfully breaking the awkward silence that filled the room. Sofia coughed and walked past me.

    "Karen is taking me and Aaliyah to school. Bye Kaki, bye mami, bye abuela." She waved us all goodbye and by the time I looked back in the kitchen abuela was gone and mom was getting ready to walk away.

    "What the hell?" I asked myself. I ate some cereal and went to school.

    "Hey Mila." Lauren greeted me.

    "Hey." I greeted back as I put my science book in my locker.

    "So you remember that girl from the concert? The one I had been talking to for the last couple of days?" She asked, leaning on the locker next to mine.

    "Yes..."

    "Well her and her family moved here. Her dad got a good job offer here so... she is also attending this school." Lauren squealed, making me laugh and nod.

    "That is good Laur, I am happy for you girl." I hugged her and for a minute I thought how good it was that my friend was into someone.

    "Yeah..." Lauren smiled and walked away.

    I was truly happy for her. I was happy for myself that today was one more day without Shawn and I was okay. I was living.

    That was until the doors to the school opened. My jaw dropped and for a second all the anger I felt went away.

    His hair was a little longer, his arms a little stronger but his eyes were just as I remembered. His eyes were softer and after all these months but what felt like months everything came back and he walked closer he simply waved and barely mouthed a hello.

    "Hello?!" I asked myself as he walked past me. Oh hell no.

    I walked after him and pulled him into an empty classroom.

    "Hello?!" I mocked. "That is all you have to say after a year?!" I was angry, I was hurt. "It's been a year!" I yelled in his face. "We were best friends and then one day you kiss me and then I don't see you for a year and all you have to say now is 'Hello'?!" I was so angry I was crying. He looked at me with sad and pity eyes. He reached for my hand but I pulled away from him. Storming off of the classroom I passed by Jake and stormed off of the school. I went to the one place that gave me peace. And weirdly enough it was my grandfather's grave.

I sat on the grass and looked at his head stone. "Why grandpa? Why? Why did he come back?! why did he leave?!" I was angry and full on sobbing at this point.

Why? I questioned myself over and over. I cried until there were no more tears left to cry so I just stood there looking at his headstone thinking about the times he would wake me up with tickets on my belly, when he would put me on his shoulders during Fourth of July so I could see the fireworks better.

I felt someone sit next to me and just by his smell I knew it was the boy who broke my heart.

"Why? Why did you leave me here?" I asked after what felt like 10 minutes of both of us in pure silence just looking over at abuelo's grave.

"I loved you but I couldn't have you." Shawn said simply.

I scoffed and yanked some grass from the floor.

"You are an asshole." I said simply.

"I know."

"You hurt me."

"It was never my intention but for what it's worth I was hurting too." Shawn said and I scoffed.

"I saw the article, you had a lot of girls around you so I doubt you were hurting." I scoffed.

"Is that what you really think of me? That I left to have a lot of girls? The last girl I kissed was you." Shawn said and by his tone I knew he was telling the truth but still I felt hurt and lied to.

"I saw the picture you sent to Lauren that girl had her arms around you. She's pretty, is she your girlfriend?" I asked and that pushed him over the edge as he stood up.

"Her name is Raquel and no she is not my girlfriend. She is gay. So now that you know I am not anyone will you stop making precipitated conclusions?" He asked and his tone told me her was annoyed as hell.

But I was not done. No far from it. I stood up and faced him and for a moment I felt all air knocked out of me.

"What the hell am I supposed to think or ask Shawn?! You left me here for a year, not a word just a goddamn letter that broke my heart. No one told me anything for months, I was depressed for months without you and right now looking at you I don't even feel like slapping you because goddamn it Shawn!" I yelled frustratedly. I turned away from him and fast walked over to my car. I got in and drove to school.

It was lunch and I knew exactly where Lauren was. She had to have known something.

I walk behind the school and go behind the bleaches where she usually stays during lunch.

"Lauren?" I called walking and did not notice she was with someone and rather... busy.

"Ah!" A girl screamed and quickly covered her top part which was bare.

"Ugh! Really?" Lauren questioned turning around to face me.

"Why didn't you tell me Shawn was back in town?" I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Seriously? Camila you freaked the fuck out anytime someone would mention Shawn to you. How on earth were we supposed to tell you that the guy who broke your heart and left you cranky and depressed for months was coming back to town because his mom and dad were getting back together?" I had to admit she did have a point but I was still angry she lied to me.

"Wait?! 'We' who else knew he was coming back?!" I asked remembering she said we instead of me or I.

"Oh shit." Lauren inced.

"Let me guess, abuela, mama, and Sofi all knew he was coming back didn't they?" I asked remembering how they were acting this last few weeks.

"Yes, but still no one knew how to tell you he was back, Mila. I mean come on. Would you have gotten up from bed and came to school or would you have gone back into the dark whole you sank into when he left?" Lauren asked, now getting a little bit more annoyed. I rolled my eyes and looked past Lauren and that girl seemed familiar.

"Look I know I shouldn't be doing this but... for what is worth Shawn felt like shit and was moping around for months and months. He never even looked at another girl and all the time he always talked about you." The girl behind Shawn said, making me more confused. Wait a damn minute... that was... Raquel?

"Wait you are... Raquel? Shawn's friend from Canada, the same one that had been talking to Lauren for the last couple of months?" I asked clicking everything together.

"Yes, nice to meet you." She extended her hand and I shook it.

"Well, I have to go." I awkwardly exited and made my way back to my car.

"What the hell just happened?" I asked no one in particular before turning on my car and heading home to have a talk with mama and abuela.

Authors note

😬😬😬 shit is about to go down and I know you guys want Shawmila and all but these two are too hardheaded and Camila is even more so than Shawn so this is going to take some more time. But hang in there because I got you covered just like GEICO. Lol I could resist it sorry.

Anyways if you liked it don't forget to vote, comment, and share.

Leave me your thoughts because I love reading them.

xoxo Love Ana xoxo