Chapter 27- Uncle Reed

I walked off the plane and into the airport. I was back in London. Faces pass me, I do not recognize any of them. The world is a blur. Everything is in slow motion. I do not hear what they are saying. I just walk through. Two years ago, I would've called this place home. But to me, home is where the heart is. And Liam has my heart.

        "Alexis!" My uncle Reed called, snapping me back into reality.

        He looked sad. I knew why. We both lost people. However, It was nice to see a familiar face again. I only wish he didn't look so much like Dad. I gave him a tight hug, not ever wanting to let go. 

"I missed you too, kiddo." He said softly. As I pulled away, we looked at each other for a moment. We both remembered the last time we saw each other. 

        "Dad! Can I hang out with Thomas today? Please please please!" Lexi begged. Her father glared, an obvious no. Her shoulders fell, disappointed.

        "Oh come on. Let her go see her boyfriend. You know this might be the last time she talks to him before..." Reed began.

        "Shh. I haven't told her yet." Lexi watched them talk, curious. Her father looked down at the 14 year old girl. "I guess I have to, now." He glared at Reed, angry for putting him in this situation. "It's my job, Lexi. I'm getting transferred. You and I...we're going to America." Silence. Sweat fell from her father's head, terrified.

"No?" Lexi answered. Reed laughed.

"It's not a question, Lexi." 

"Can it be?" She felt anger boiling through her body. "When?"

"Next week."

        A very brokenhearted Lexi ran to her room. Her father almost ran after her, but Reed stopped him. He wanted to talk to her.

        "Alexis, it's just your uncle Reed." After a moment, Lexi opened the door. "You want to talk?" She shook her head. "Then I will." He offered, sitting down on her bed. Lexi, a bit annoyed but willing, sat next to him. "I understand you've just been told life-changing news, and you are allowed to be upset." Lexi nodded. "But I can promise you this, Alexis. It'll change for the better. I promise."

"You think?"

"Definitely." 

        There were unspoken words. I didn't really know what to say. Neither of us did. It had only been about two years, but it felt like a century. He drove me "home" in silence. As he opened the front door, memories of my father pooled out. I remembered everything. Sadness filled the room. I could see that he tried to clean up. But the home, no matter how big it was, was empty now. Even with all of the furniture.

"Get settled. I'll get you some food. Pizza?" I nodded and he grinned. He left the house again, leaving me by myself.

        I headed to the kitchen and opened the fridge. There was plenty of food. He must've been ordering food to escape the words we left unsaid. To get away from me. I didn't blame him. Looking at each other, being with each other, just reminded us of the good times. I realized I was chewing some gum, and I opened the trash to spit it out when I saw beer bottles. It was filled with them. While I had my friends to be there for me as I mourned, he had no one. Aunt Rose and him had split up a long time ago. He couldn't even go to the funeral. He couldn't get a passport. I suddenly felt guilty, remembering my dad's death was my fault.

        I sat on the couch and stared at my phone. On the plane, I went through all of my photos again and again. I tried not to cry again. 

            "You can always stay with me, you know? If you really truly don't want to go. I talked it over with your dad last night. He said you can stay with me, here." Reed offered.