17

Cyra awoke the next morning to an empty bed. There was no natural light this far down into the earth, the darkness surrounding her so intense she couldn't even tell if her eyes were still closed or not.

She lit a bright white lantern in the palm of her hand and examined the room around her. Cyra was alone. She glanced next to her on the bed and found a note. She leaned over to pick it up with her free hand, opening it to find Azula's perfect writing.

My love...

You were sleeping too peacefully for me to awaken. If all goes well, I should be back in a few hours. If you need anything at all, the guards will bring it to you. Wish me luck (not that I need it).

-A

Cyra's heart sped up, recalling Azula's late night confession. She allowed her thumb to graze over the ink that stained the parchment before letting it fall back to the bed, standing to search for an escape route.

Regardless of what happened last night, Cyra was still supposed to be leaving with Iroh and Qin today, and she had to find her way out of here.

Her eyes analyzed everything in the room, the vents were too high to reach and too small to fit through, the only real option was to try the door. She went and pulled and pushed the large metal door she entered through, it didn't budge.

Cyra let out a groan of frustration as she fell against it and slid down to the floor. The hopelessness of her situation began to dawn on her. She wracked her brain for ideas, not really knowing what to do anymore. Cyra could take her chances and try to get someone to open the door and knock them out, but what then? She had no idea where she would go from there or the extent of the underground tunnels she was in.

And of course there was single handedly the most difficult obstruction to Cyra's escape; she didn't want to leave Azula. She stood from her spot in front of the door and made her way to lay back down on the bed, not wanting to confront these thoughts anymore. Her escape plan soiled once more, her confessed feelings to Azula, the reciprocation of said feelings; it was too much.

Cyra laid there for hours. Occasionally she could feel the earth around her tremble, and dust would fall from the ceiling. She was worried about what could be happening above the ground, the fact that it seemed to be continuing for what felt like hours made her feel a bit better. The fire nation would take damage from this attack, which would be good for the avatar and his friends. This did not do much to ease her nerves, though. The emptiness consumed her as she waited for Azula to return, and she closed her eyes tightly wishing it all to go away and sleep to take her.

It was not until she felt someone lightly shaking her awake that she realized she had fallen asleep.

"Cyra... wake up."

Her eyes fluttered open to meet Azula's disapproving glare.

"Don't tell me you've been sleeping this whole-" Azula began to scold Cyra, but stopped when Cyra frantically pulled Azula into her arms. The emptiness Cyra felt in her chest began to fade a bit, and Cyra let out a breath of relief. She could feel Azula grow tense in the embrace.

"What... What is this for?" Azula asked timidly, finally wrapping her arms around Cyra as well.

"Please stop locking me in rooms... I just want to go home," She muttered into Azula's hard armor. Azula stiffened even more against her, but instead of pushing away she only held Cyra tighter.

"I do not want to discuss this with you right now. I am tired, Cyra. The avatar is alive, uncle broke out of prison, and my brother betrayed us and left... I have never seen my father so disappointed in me. This entire day was a monumental failure," Azula spoke, exhaustion overtaking her tone.