5

Azula paced in her bedroom in the palace, thoughts racing. Her father had requested her to put on hold her mission and come home to strategize an attack on the earth kingdom, but Azula wasn't allowed any other details until their meeting this afternoon for suspicion of a possible interception of the information.

Cyra's face flashed through Azula's mind, the face she watched lose consciousness in her arms due to the princess's own clumsiness.

No, not my clumsiness, she thought, I am not clumsy. It was Cyra's own fault. She was told to stay at the tank, and she disobeyed my order, Azula fumed.

She was angry, but this wasn't her normal, raise the room temperature kind of angry. It was something she could only relate only to the feeling of being scolded by her mother as a child.

Azula was not totally familiar with the feeling shame, or guilt, so the young princess summed the strange feelings up to a being new kind of anger. Cyra seemed to always invoke strange and difficult feelings from Azula.

It was not always anger, it was an unbearable warmth, too. Cyra was lighting a small flame to Azula's cold heart. Every time Cyra's hand brushed Azula's, their lips touched, or Cyra's fingers combed through Azula's hair in the morning, Azula found her heart fluttering in her chest like a bird in a cage.

The feeling that coursed through her veins around Cyra felt like when Azula was bending lightning. And Azula was suddenly scared to lose a feeling like that. When she had seen Cyra's limp body under that tree, she wanted to burn the whole forest for hurting her.

Azula's crippling fear of Cyra's abandonment tore through her, making her yell angrily into her empty room.

This must come to a stop, I will not allow it any further, she thought. Azula began planning the different ways she could punish foolish Cyra for giving her these suffocating feelings.

To know your enemies strengths is to know their weaknesses, her father's words echoed through her head. To Azula, love was not a strength, it was a pathetic weakness, but she could tell it was the opposite for people like Cyra. She would manipulate Cyra into loving her, and then crush her, Azula decided.

A devilish grin appeared on Azula's face as her plan formed. She thought of all the traps she could lay for Cyra, a picnic in the gardens, carriage rides, gifts, all the stupid things girls their age liked. All to throw it in the silly girl's face for thinking she could ever have Azula's stone heart.

Azula still hadn't a clue to where Cyra came from, what she really was hiding behind her kindess to Azula. She was ultimately suspicious of the girl's reluctance to firebend. The brief image of Cyra in an Agni Kai entertained Azula's mind.

But even while she thought of creating Cyra's demise, the nagging feeling, the anxiety of not seeing Cyra's kind smile everyday ate at her being. Azula pushed it as far to the back of her being as she could.

A guard burst through the door, causing Azula to stop pacing and sharply turn to him.

"Princess Azula, we are here to take you to the war meeting!" He shouted, bowing to her.

Something in Azula snapped, and she was beyond fury now. Somehow, an external calmness overtook her features as she slowly stalked the prey that so willingly crept into her claws.

"How many times have I told you to knock, lieutenant?" She asked slowly, her voice light, hiding her deadly intent.

The guard quaked under the intensity of her stare, but tried his best to hide it.

"Uh- I- Princess it is for your safety that we-" he stuttered out, but before he could finish Azula marched up to him, and landed her foot square in his chest, sending him flying backwards.

He was still on the ground recovering when Azula pressed her foot into his throat, cutting his air off.

"And how many more times will I have to ask again?" She asked, not expecting an answer.

The guard had passed out under the pressure of her foot, which she removed triumphantly. She loved to intimidate people, strike fear into their hearts for their lives. She marched into her palanquin, sitting on the cushion. She was raised into the air as the bearers rose and began their journey, stepping over the unconscious man.

"That's what I had thought," she smirked.

.