2

A week passed, and Cyra's plan was progressing quite well. Currently, she was standing at a large ship window watching Azula train with Lo and Li. Azula demanded Cyra come with her on her mission to retrieve the prince, something about needing to continue their training and someone to do her hair and makeup, but Cyra knew it was really because Azula had grown fond of her. Maybe Azula did not quite know, but she will soon enough.

Azula was learning the technique to bend lightning. She was very quick to learn and already had the basic movements down. She had almost mastered it in a day, Cyra was impressed watching her. Azula finally put all of it together, producing lightning and succeeding in her attempt. But then, something Li or Lo said angered her.

"Almost isn't good enough!" Cyra could hear Azula yell, furious. She fell back into the starting form, bending with a calm ferocity, and created lighting so intense the crack of thunder that followed shook the glass on Cyra's window. Azula looked up to the window Cyra was at, and started marching towards the stairs leading up to the room, waving her hand to dismiss Lo and Li. Eventually, Azula burst into the room and grabbed Cyra by the wrist, spinning her around to face her.

"What is it that you are trying to do?!" She screamed in Cyra's face.

"What do you mean, princess?" Cyra was confused about what she could've done from her window. She looked to the wrist Azula gripped pointedly, waiting to be released.

"Do you know what happens when servants fail to do their jobs? I get rid of them. Your one job is to make sure not a hair falls out of place while I am performing my duties. So tell me why I found a loose strand just now, while trying to perfect a complicated bending form? Speak!" Azula's grip tightened and Cyra grimaced. Azula noticed and let go, taking a step back.

"It was not my intention to sabotage you, princess. I will alter the method I use to compensate for your more demanding duties," Cyra said, rubbing her wrist. Cyra barely caught the flash of regret on Azula's face, which quickly faded as Azula recovered from her initial outburst.

"You will meet me on the deck for our private sparring session at dusk," And with that Azula was gone. Azula was often angry with Cyra over the last week. Even when Cyra wasn't trying to instigate the princess, she noticed Azula would roll her eyes or become irritable in Cyra's presence. Cyra couldn't quite tell if she was making progress or regressing in the first step of her plan.

Their training wasn't helping, either. Cyra could tell how perplexed Azula was by a literal servant consistently beating her in combat. Azula had no idea who Cyra really was. Surprisingly, the palace wasn't really conducting background checks on its staff.

Cyra decided that she would try a different approach tonight, to test where she currently stood with Azula. She made her way downstairs, past the guards eating dinner, to the deck.

The deck was cleared, and no one was allowed to witness this training session. Cyra saw Azula standing in the center with her eyes closed, almost as though she were meditating. The sun was setting in the distance, creating a warm orange glow. Cyra walked closer but stopped when Azula spoke.

"Do you firebend?"

"No."