→ you're not alone

Start from the beginning

steve's eyebrows raised, shocked by what you just admitted but also looks like a blushing mess. "um..wow," steve mumbles, smiling as he blinks twice, still out of words to say. "you've liked me since middle school?" he questioned and you nodded slowly, putting your hand away from your face.

"god, this is so embarrassing." you shook your head. "no, don't be embarrassed." steve shifted his position to sit up and faced you. "y/n, you don't know how much i tried to be patient because i've been waiting for this to happen."

"what.. do you mean?"

"i'm in love with you too." he blurted out. you couldn't help but smile. "idiot." you pushed his arm lightly, unable to hide your flustered cheeks and contagious smile. you stared at his eyes and he stares at yours. there was silence. no other noise but your hearts beating for each other.

steve's hand grazed over your cheek, before leaning in for a kiss. but before he could even do it, "y/n?" a thick voice of a man called outside. realizing it was your dad, you planted a kiss on steve's cheek before standing up, reaching for the door and opening it.

"dad, hey." you greeted, not breaking the smile from earlier. he leaned forward to see steve who was pretending to read a book, before looking back at you. "what did i tell you about closing doors?"

"sorry, i'm used to it. i promise i would open it for three inches next time. and don't worry, nothing happened. we're studying since earlier. you could ask el and max about it." you pretty much stumbled on your words, though there's nothing to be nervous about.

"okay." he said suspiciously, dragging the 'y' at the end as he eyed steve—who, by the way, is nervous for some reason, and it is obvious by the book he's reading upside down.

"steve." your dad's voice was firm, loud enough for steve to hear clearly. "yes, sir?" the boy scrambled and stood up, dropping the book on your bed. "let's talk."

by that your stomach dropped, you knew that you and steve have mutual feelings for each other, but haven't really confirmed that you're official yet. what if dad does the same to steve on what he did to mike? what if he doesn't allow me to date steve? what if he wouldn't let me see steve again? you thought.

steve hesitantly walked towards the door, your dad giving his shoulder a pat. you gave steve a concerning look. as if your father can read your mind, "he'll be fine, y/n. i just wanna talk to him about stuff. go back to studying." you nodded and obeyed your father's command.

"so," hopper spoke as him and steve reached outside of the house, sitting on the steps in front of the door. saying steve was nervous is an understatement. hopper opened a can of beer and took a sip, "come on, kid. take a seat." steve anxiously sat beside him. "you like y/n?"

hopper looked towards the boy beside him, noticing his nervous state. "don't worry, kid. you're not in trouble. i just want to know your intentions for my daughter." he gave steve a light pat on his shoulder. "y-yeah. i like—i like y/n." steve stuttered as he nods. "hm." hopper nods slowly. "you don't have any reason to be worried about. i'm just here to say that if you're planning on dating my daughter, you're sure that you're going to marry her someday. don't just go playing around, understood?"

steve nodded, feeling relieved than earlier. "now tell me about your family." hopper told him.

steve let out a sigh, knowing that he didn't have much experience with his parents aside from arguing. "i don't really have a good relationship with them," he frowns. "they were never home. even if they were, they just straight up scold me or ignore me like i wasn't their child."