→ dance with me

Warnings: pure fluff, bit of a language, soft steve because he's babie
idk what this is actually i was just bored sorry if it's bad , also this one's
probably the longest imagine i wrote because i don't want it to have
parts like the other chapters

summary: basically him trying to confess to you but being nervous as heck because you're breathtaking (yes you, beautiful hooman). just both of you being dorks i guess.

this has been on my drafts for over a month now
(before i even published "you're not alone" and "fearless")
and i decided to just post it now hdjsgd

steve harrington x byers!reader
word count: 3.8k+ oops

"let's ditch this damn school dance."

it was cold inside the room so you tugged your sweater up to your wrist to keep yourself warm. the class was quiet and almost half of the class were either sleeping, loudly smacking their bubblegums, and scribbling lines on the back of their notebook. since the class was boring anyway, your mind just wondered somewhere else as your eyes were stuck on your opened notebook on top of your table. not until someone taps your shoulder from beside you.

"hey, um.. can you lend me a pen?" you looked where the voice came from and realized it was steve harrington. "i don't know. can i?" you mumbled, giggling as he shook his head, also trying to hide the blush on his face when he heard your voice.

"since when did king steve learn how to take notes during class?" you teased as your hand went through your pencilcase, before lending him a click pen and gladly took it from you. "no, i don't." he chuckles, "i just wanted to write something." he looked down, seemingly embarrassed or nervous. "hm." you rest your head on your palm as you hummed, focusing on him, which made him even more nervous.

steve then had the urge to draw a line on your clean notebook. you obviously reacted, making an exaggerated gasp before smacking his shoulder, catching the attention of some students. without warning, you snatched the pen from him, drawing a much larger line on his notebook. "that's not fair!" he whisper-yelled.

eyes were immediately focused on you two as you tease each other, until your teacher finally noticed you both. "mr. harrington and ms. byers! are you going to be quiet or should i let you play outside like five year olds?" her obnoxious voice echoes in the room.

you glanced at steve, waiting for a response. before one of you could even speak, your teacher said, "good. one more noise from you both and i will not hesitate to send you outside."

the class minded their own business once again. steve bumped your knee, catching your attention. he scoots and leaned closer to you, "can we talk later? after class?" he whispers back. you nodded and waited another fifteen minutes before the class dismissed.

the bell rang, you stood up and grabbed your backpack as the rest of the students left the room. as you walked out to leave the room, you didn't notice the taller figure who was waiting for you and bumped into his chest. "jesus! steve?" your face scrunched. "the hell is wrong with you? you could've gave me a heart attack, man."

"sorry." he mutters, running his fingers through his hair—which by the way, you love.

"no, no, it's okay. i was just..shocked." you let out an awkward laugh as he nods, his facial expression softens. "what is it that's so important you want to tell me?" you smiled, expecting some good news from him. it was just silence for a few seconds as you both reached your locker, "holy shit, are you sick? is someone trying to kill you? should i call the police?" you panicked as he was still unable to speak.